Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,181 to 13,200 of 25,286 messages
26/10/2012 at 17:16

Im normally a pace anorak SG, just went with the flow of it for a change. At least the correct pace will feel easier next time around.

Running too much in the new adios 2's, so need adidas shoes for the easy road runs. mixed comments about the bostons - ill see what else there is..

Getting generally colder outside now isn't in, I'll have to dig the leggings out soon but will hold off as long as possible!

26/10/2012 at 17:20
same size fine for me bus.must admit ive been tempted to race in them.such a smooth and fast ride!ha ha!!
is it marlow half on sun?if so ave a gud un!!
26/10/2012 at 18:36
The Bus wrote (see)

I thought the Boston's were the training version of the Adios?

I have the Adidas Adizero Boston:

http://www.shoeguide.co.uk/media/product_images/main/PRO1008_1074_adidas-adizero-boston-mens-2009-5.jpg

A serious lightweight distance trainer that is built for speed. Made to stay responsive and fast through the hardest training. Your feet will be flying.

DT2
26/10/2012 at 18:41

Evening gents, so thats my 5day post Marathon running hiatus over! I always like to switch of post race, but 5days without a run.......going stir crazy already!

Belated congrats to all the CP boys, esp SG! Go on fella! Some race you had there!

So Amsterdam, 2.35.28, not exactly what I was looking for but not to disappointed, went out with a group of 8, conditions were pretty grim, wet & windy bang on target at the halfway point (1.16:xx) kept the group going to 18 where we broke up, dropped off the pace between 21-24M before having a word with myself and picked it back up to finish strong, great to finish on the track aswell which i pretty much had to myself so gave it a decent sprint over the final 300M for the benefit of my mates in the crowd, great to finish and then have 2 club mates, my mara training buddy and UG all finish within the next few mins! Usually feel destroyed at the end of a mara, felt fine after this one!? In hindsight there’s a couple of areas that let me down

1: I did way to much work leading the group out over the first 16M, prob spent about 12M of that at the front, in those windy conditions it prob took more out of me than i realised to keep to race pace.

2: Could’ve done with some more quality over the later stages of my LSR’s, work commitments etc meant i didnt get in some of the quality i wanted.

Game on for next year though, learned some good lessons this year and if nothing else its given me the confidence that I WILL get to go sub 2.30 on the right day!

Bus: I train in Bostons, there the heaviest trainers i use now, the latest versions are not as light as the original so you can def get away with using them throughout training, also race in Adios, the 2 together are a great pairing, cant big them up enough! Size wise, def half a size up.

GSR this weekend then lads? I’ll be watching with my feet up ready for some forum spotting!

26/10/2012 at 18:59

Welcome back Dt2. Despite not quite hitting your target that is still a MOST impressive performance!! Leading for 12M would definitely take it out of you, so that's got to be worth a couple of mins I'd think. You defintiely have a sub 2:30 in you!

I think I need to find a local shop selling them to try the Bostons and Adios on - I've got odd shaped feet! Half a size up is probably best, but want to be sure. Sounds like the Boston/Adios combination is the way to go though...

Steve - Great South Run this weekend (big thanks due to a certain forumite of this parish!) and Marlow half next weekend - just praying its not windy on Sunday!

26/10/2012 at 19:24
busy spell of racing then bus.
gud luck with them both!
you are prob best trying the bostons on then.im fine in normal size with a thumb nailed sized gap at the front.mind you i think i wear my everyday shoes like that
26/10/2012 at 22:02

DT2, plain monster. As my adopted forum son, you've made me proud

Also amazing you can not post the details of such a terrific performance for almost a week, whereas us lot are on it like dogs straight after!

Good chat on here today. Had one of those horrible duty days. Up at 6.30, 3hour drive to Norwich, funeral + post funeral bits, than a 4hour drive home. When a place has one road in, it's quite inevitable that the road will have some kind of accident. That added an hour

Will look forward to a lovely lay in, light run and Wycombe game tomorrow. Hoping that the tightnesses I've been feeling the last 2 days, are just typical pre race fears!

Next weekend will be more chilled, watching Bus run Marlow half up close...well, at 10miles anyway! Phil, if you want somewhere to watch a bit of it, come and join me...

26/10/2012 at 22:03

Seb, always worth the odd attempt at faster stuff. It no doubt makes the right pace feel slow!

And sure is getting colder, had an icy blast of rain today!

Hold off on sunday please!!

26/10/2012 at 22:07
The Bus wrote (see)

I think I need to find a local shop selling them to try the Bostons and Adios on - I've got odd shaped feet! Half a size up is probably best, but want to be sure. Sounds like the Boston/Adios combination is the way to go though...

Can't praise the Adios enough. It's like there's a party going on in my feet and everyone's invited!

Just reading all this "half a size up" business...presumably you're meaning compared to the Boston? If so, fair do.

But if you're meaning versus other shoes seems to be a lot of different opinions.

I wear work shoes 10, but Wave Riders 12.

So I bought Adios in 12.

Then i started reading people talking about going up a half size etc, and they did feel a bit tight.

However, long story short, they feel fine, and seems Mizuno to Adidas doesn't need any size change.

Possibly different for other brands...

26/10/2012 at 22:40

Hmm, can I cope with a major party going on in my feet when I'm trying to race?!

Sounds like a pretty shitty day SG - let's hope the rest of the weekend improves on that!

There's an online fitting tool called "Shoefitr", which a few US online running shops have. It uses a 3D volumetric model of the inside of running shoes to compare sizes. It looks fantastic and tells you exactly where on your foot one shoe will feel tighter or looser compared to another. The trouble is, you have to find the perfect fitting shoe to compare it with in the first place! 

26/10/2012 at 22:40
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Next weekend will be more chilled, watching Bus run Marlow half up close...well, at 10miles anyway! Phil, if you want somewhere to watch a bit of it, come and join me...

I'll be there. Where exactly is the 10 mile mark? I reckon I can jog out to Finnamore Wood and see them at 3 miles (so fast ones in 18 and slow ones in 30)  and then it is about 2 miles to the 10 mile mark so  I can be there for a second viewing (so I can be at 10 miles easily inside the hour).

26/10/2012 at 22:48

True that Bus!

Phil, i think it's Bockmer Crossroads?

I'll confirm tomorrow...need an urgent sleep now.

DT2
26/10/2012 at 22:54

I wore my Adios for Amsterdam, wasnt sure how my legs/feet would cope....1st time EVER post marathon that my feet have felt fresh as a daisy! couldnt beleive it!

size wise, im usually 9.5/10 in most shoes, 10.5 in all of the Adios series, and yes, that 0.5 diff makes all the difference! originally went for size 10 bostons, 3 toenails less before i decided it was time to go up a bit!

SG, forum son? that makes you the Daddy then!  rough day by the sounds of it fella, gets better from here on in though mate.

27/10/2012 at 07:34

Well done DT2, an idea for next time, just been reading Charlie Speddings book and he mentions a 3 hour long run and a 20 mile interval session.

SG, Just checked the weather forecast for Portsmouth tommorow.  The last two miles are likely to be right buggers! Good luck.

27/10/2012 at 08:03
DT2- flippin eck. Well done.
27/10/2012 at 11:26

Ric, that's the excuse sorted for tomorrow then

Off for a 6 shortly, hoping things aren't as tight feeling as Friday's run! Glutes hip and hamstring made me feel like I was running like Dale Winton!

27/10/2012 at 15:16

An easy 3 miler this morning just to blow off the cobwebs and get the legs moving. Felt a bit lethargic, but no muscle pains at all so that's good. Still slightly fuzzy headed and snotty as well, but much better than earlier in the week, so another 24 hrs should shift it.

Not as windy tomorrow as today - but you're right Ric, the forecast direction could make the last 2 miles tomorrow very hard! Must remember to find some large runners averaging 5:50 ish pace to hide behind!

27/10/2012 at 15:24

SG - they are predicting traffic chaos tomorrow, as the muppets that run SW Trains have decided to undertake major engineering works on the Waterloo to Portsmouth line tomorrow, so no one can get there by train!

27/10/2012 at 17:40

Genius decision! Clearly noone ever thinks, what's the ONE day we need good transport links for,

Very cold at the wycombe game today, windy, ice cold rain the lot.

Wouldnt' say my 6miler with strides felt exactly golden, bits of tightness, but I'm sure we'll get through tomorrow as best we have on the day.

27/10/2012 at 18:02

Yep, too late to do anything about fitness/aches/illness and the weather will do as it pleases!

13,181 to 13,200 of 25,286 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.