Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,401 to 13,420 of 27,367 messages
06/11/2012 at 12:11

well i've got a monster session today Bus, so it should be clearer after that!

06/11/2012 at 12:27

Tried a bit of a tempo run last night.  Well, kind of  - 2.5 km warm up, 5 km tempo pace, 1 km easy, 2 km tempo pace, 1 km warm down   Bit of an odd session looking at it like that, but the point was mainly to get me used to running faster again.

The 5km came out at 3:53, 3:50, 3:38, 3:37, 3:33, and the 2 km averaged 3:35.  I'm reasonably pleased with that - the first 2k clearly demonstrated my rustiness, but the pace was OK after I'd got into it.  Still not where I was, obviously, but haven't dropped off quite as much as I'd feared.

What with all the fast running and fireworks exploding everywhere, it made me feel just like Mel Gibson in 'Gallipoli'.

06/11/2012 at 12:38

What you mean you were violently drunk and shouting racist abuse at folk?

(good come-back session though Dachs!)

What's your session tehn SG?

06/11/2012 at 12:47
The Bus wrote (see)

What you mean you were violently drunk and shouting racist abuse at folk?

Only on the easy-paced sections.  Got to concentrate on breathing, you see.

06/11/2012 at 14:10

A sensible recovery strategy!

06/11/2012 at 14:56

Dachs, we don't work in km in these parts, you should know that, but I vaguely recognise 3:30km as 35min 10k pace, just from vague attempts to hit that in the past(and not!).

I think you'll surprise yourself at Gosport. This sub 1hr 20  talk i think will prove to be hugely under selling yourself!

Right my lunchtime session was 2x3miles HMP with 90secs in between

I've only done 3miles at HMP outside a Half marathon race once, that epic 14miler ending with 3miles MP,3miles HMP.

So 2x3m HMP sounded big. Especially as my pace has moved from 5.55-6.00 zone, to 5.50-5.55.

Add in some tightnesses i can't seem to shift I wasn't quite sure.

However, panned out

The 6.04mile was quite wind affected randomly, as the other bits weren't really.

Generally, happy with that as a piece of work, pretty much in and around what I was after.

Coach put the recovery as 90secs but said higher if I wanted. But that'd be taking it too easy right, so 90secs it was.

mate pulled out of the game tonight, so a glorious rest evening, having slightly unnecessarily run at 7am!

Edited: 06/11/2012 at 14:57
06/11/2012 at 17:06

Goddd session SG. Mine today was a 1M lunctime swim. The competitive side of me was brought out though, as felt compelled to try and to keep up with bloke in the lane next to me when we got into sync. He was a long, lanky git with speedos and a swim cap, so obviously a proper swimmer! I did manage to keep up with him for 10 lengths but it damn near killed me!

06/11/2012 at 17:38

can't stand those "Proper" types!

I'm guessing you're not upto a proper run yet? Have a half day tomorrow and thiking about a 9miler Marlow way. The odds of you being ready for a run of that distance, and b) working from home and able to do it are miniscule, but I thought i'd ask!!

06/11/2012 at 17:58

I am working at home, but not running at all tomorrow, never mind a 9 miler - sorry!

I'm overdue for a proper break anyway I reckon, having now averaged around 50 miles per week for over 16 months now I think.  I even put a note in my training diary to take the whole week off after Marlow several months ago - though I suspect I won't listen to myself by the time we get to Friday!

06/11/2012 at 18:34

sounds sensible. I'd say there's a couple of times to take a week off, after a marathon, and after a hilly half!

Having said that, it's clearly easier said than done!

But i guess you do well to remember times when it's snowy, and training is severly limited, and you don't lose much fitness, so will be the same post a week off.

06/11/2012 at 18:58
RicF wrote (see)

Something else about that half marathon of 73:43. In that race there was another runner who seemed to think that one way of beating people was simply to physically stop them, by blocking them.

As I started to go past, this chap would put in a couple of quick strides and then move right across in front. If I tried to go the other way, he'd just swing across to stop me.

I eventually dropped this fellow by taking a drinks station on the blind side. By the time he realised where I was, I was away. 

Believe or not I have a photo somewhere of this moment.

http://www.jonesm.plus.com/blocker.png

Was it like this?

Can't resist a old photo post: me when 57  or 58 for 10 miles was a cruise.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/217505_1026165903870_9192_n.jpg

Edited: 06/11/2012 at 19:01
06/11/2012 at 19:05

As handsome as a biscuit.

Classic "lame" arm style, and hip "Afro" to boot.

Was the young Phil Jones not a wonder to behold.

06/11/2012 at 19:55

Cheers Phil, I''ll work out how to scan and post pics one day. 

Bus, my recovery from Marlow has various factors behind it. The mileage I've done over the past few months mostly. Then there's the leg extension exercises I've done with a 10kg weight, so quads ok. A change of running style which seems to reduce the shock and impact and then my avoidance of charging down very steep hills which must have let me off all sorts of damage. 

I've also changed the innersole of my shoes to a rubberised orthotic which has been a real game changer.

1st claim club trying to twist my arm to do a Chiltern league XC at Shuttleworth on Saturday.

2nd claim club to do a Thames Valley XC at Datchet on Sunday.

Once I'd do them both, think I'll do neither.

2nd Claim club secretary phoned my missus to say I'd won a special award to be presented at the clubs award night and to keep the news a secret from me.

Since I never go to these awards nights, I couldn't quite see the point of the secrecy, neither could my missus, so she told me, but also to keep it a secret that she did.

IronCat5    pirate
06/11/2012 at 20:34

What is your second claim Ric?

Dachs - I perfectly understand km, having switched to them recently. I find it helps pacing. I've been following the FIRSt 5km plan; a bit of a body shock to begin with, but a few weeks in to it and the pacing doesn't seem to bad.

Rest day yesterday and today - got back late from work so missed the club run, and decided to not go out on my own.

06/11/2012 at 20:53

Metros Running Club. I was 1st claim with them since 1988, but have been 1st claim Harrow AC for about 5 years now.

06/11/2012 at 20:56

Looking good Philip, digging the 'fro

some good sessions there by SG & Dachs both looked suitably fast & hard.

mine was 4*1m - aim was 5.20pace off 2 and half min recovery.  But it was blowing a gale at the track to a point it forced you onto your heels so i had to adapt as it took too much effort to keep pace in it that something had to give so i kept the pace but had 3min recovery.

they came out 5.20, 5.24, 5.19, 5.17.  a real grit your teeth effort required so am happy with these.

Regards the issue with blocking if somebody does that deliberately & consistantly to me in the similar way Ric described, they get their heels clipped.... if they carry on i stand on the back of their trainer so it comes off.  Thankfully i havent had to do anything like this since i came back. 

06/11/2012 at 21:17

And pleased you should be with those splits Dean!  The heel clipping strategy depends on the size of the guy for me!

Nice photo that Philip - 57 mins a cruise though?!

Ric, usually it is normally my quads that hurt after Marlow as a result of the downhills but they're OK, probably thanks to lots of squats to sort my knees out. It's my calves, and specifically the left that is very painful - the same one that was tight last week.

Any lingering doubts as to the toughness of the race, check out the pics of the winner and Frankie crossing the line on the Striders web page - bear in mind that the winner is a 70 min man and Frankie, a 75 min man and both look in real pain despite being half a minute a mile down on those times!

SG - I know you'll like photo 680!

06/11/2012 at 21:20

I think at the time of the blocking issue I was reluctant to get involved in a dust up, mainly because I was still trying for a decent time in the race.

Since a decent time nowdays is unlikely, should the situation occur today, then I may be tempted to, 'have a word'. 

I wonder if that guy stills runs.

06/11/2012 at 21:22

Bus, wasn't aware of pictures. I'll have a look. 680?

06/11/2012 at 21:31

I think they're just up. none of us though.

I also found an interview with the winner. I hadn't realised, but he also won it last year but 4 minutes quicker, which makes me feel much better about my own time!

http://www.thisislocallondon.co.uk/whereilive/localheadlines/10025661.Video_Runners_storm_to_Marlow_Half_Marathon_victory/

13,401 to 13,420 of 27,367 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.