Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,541 to 13,560 of 25,279 messages
13/11/2012 at 17:16

Nice solid session though Dachs.

Not posted for a couple of days, as I've beem in bed feeling sorry for myself! Back at work today, and seem on the mend, though a bit wheezy.

Sorry to hear about the race Philip - always difficult knowing when to jump back on the horse.  Fingers corssed you get over it soon as...

Not running today as I still felt a bit odd at lunchtime and want to make sure it passes, but boredom lead me to try something else just now which could be a potential bit of extra training for future fell races! I'm on the 11th floor, so decided to race the lift and ran down the stairs (22 flights) through the building and back up the stairs - 3:47, and beat the lift!  Ideal for reps!  It's made my lungs hurt mind, so hope I haven't overdone it!

13/11/2012 at 17:20

Meant to add, I've only done 5 miles in 9 days, so desperate to get out - hence the need to hare round the building! It does mean I'm now unlikely to hit my target for the year of 2500 miles, which I was on target for until last week! Never mind, it will still be my highest mileage year even if I stop now.... 

13/11/2012 at 19:35

Complete opposite to me then Bus.

The longer I go without running, the less likely I am to start again.

In 1994 I stopped in the springtime for some reason and didn't bother again until November.

Out at 6:30am. 10 miles on the road, started out really easy but without resorting to force did the final 8 miles at sub 7 average.

13/11/2012 at 20:10

nice session dachs, you are not too far away judging from those splits.

liking the impromptu steps session from bus too.

another 4*1mile rep aim 5.20 pace but with 2min recovery (was 3min last week)

they came out 5.18, 5.19, 5.17, 5.15.   Felt good particularly after this weekends race. A reminder to keep the faith

IronCat5    pirate
13/11/2012 at 20:15

It's the fear of stopping that keeps me moving.

LSR tonight in cold Regensburg in Germany. Dark parks, mixed cycle paths/footways, bridges over many rivers and then cobbles. Plus trying to read a map at silly paces. 10km in the bag, avg 4:44/km, with the last 30 or so minutes at target pace.

Back in the hotel feeling sleepy after 2 beers now.

13/11/2012 at 20:17
amelia carter wrote (see)

Hi        (apologies in advance for really long thread ! )

I'm fairly new-ish to running. Hence, experience runner required. Hvae recently injured my foot by overdoing it (metertarsal liquid relased) and not progressing with running. One could say 'like a bull in a china shop' lol ...

Use to play football and netball etc when younger. I currently attened the gym reguarally and do BODY ATTACK and a few other classes each weeks or every now and again.

My aim is to successsfully cross the BUPA GREAT SOUTH RUN IN 2013 for I think the 10 miles.

Then If all goes well then possibly a Marathon the following year , then who knows ! .... 

I believe I can achieve this ...  

The only barrier as it were, is a 'programme' as have limited knowledge. 

1) How long should I run for each week?

2) How frequently should I run? 

3) What should my distance build up be. So week 1 7miles then 8 , 9, 10 and so on ... ?

4) As part of my gym work outs should I do lots of weights / strength exercises ?

5) Would: 2 classes at gym (each are approx 1 hour)  AND 4 specific running weight / strength training sessions of 45 mins each at gym AND AT THE MOMENT FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS 3 RUNS A WEEK.  ????????

Is that normal / okay to do without over training and getting an injury.

or is there anything else runners could recommend. 

Please helo. 

Many thanks

A job for SG I believe.

13/11/2012 at 20:45

I think my first question would be what the hell is "metatarsal liquid released" (spells adjusted)

13/11/2012 at 20:46
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

nice session dachs, you are not too far away judging from those splits.

liking the impromptu steps session from bus too.

another 4*1mile rep aim 5.20 pace but with 2min recovery (was 3min last week)

they came out 5.18, 5.19, 5.17, 5.15.   Felt good particularly after this weekends race. A reminder to keep the faith

my already twingey hamstrings ached a bit more reading these times.

cracking!

13/11/2012 at 20:55

SG, I tore a hamstring once when just plodding up a hill. 

From the impact and the sound, I thought that someone had jumped out from behind some bushes and whacked me with a plank of wood.

Further to the sound of a tearing hamstring. A guy walking his dog heard it. From 30 yards away!

Something odd was that there wasn't really any pain.

13/11/2012 at 21:17

Iron, what are you up to in Regensburg?  I studied there for a year back in 97/98.  Wonderful city.  Where I met my wife.  Best year of my life.

13/11/2012 at 22:15

Dachs - does that mean it was all downhill from then  ?  Iron - does your work take you away a lot? Must make it trciky to keep training if it does. I guess Philip is the master at that though!

Ric- I'm a tad hyperactive and get bored easily. Running helps me to release a lot of pent up energy and keeps me at a fairly stable level of knackeredness whwn I'm traiing properly!! I always find that when I've been injured, or ill, I feel like I have too much surplus energy - hence the sudden need to up and run round the tower block like a loon today! 

I was just thinking "ouch" until you said the hamstring didn't hurt - must of taken a while to get over though!  Good paced session by the way - looks like any residula effects of Marlow are gone.

Dean - cracking paced session that! No wonder SG's hammys are coming out in sympathy, I think mine are too!

Ordered a pair of Adios 2 from PB Sports today for £50. They only had them in 7.5, so I hope they fit, despite everyone telling me to go a half size bigger! Must admit, I'm a bit cheesed of wth Adidas at the moment though - my Hagios tore at just 60 miles, and the supposedly bombproof Kanadias have also started to fail, and I've only done 140 miles in them!! I also ordered a pair of La Sportiva XC shoes for the mud at bargain £40. It means I'll have six pairs of off-road shoes, and five pairs of road shoes on the go, all in various states of decay!

Hopefully I might actually get to use a pair tomorrow!

13/11/2012 at 23:11

Your not having much luck are you PMJ, Maybe I didnt scroll back enough pages but have you found out what is causing the pain yet? hope it starts to heal soon.

HR monitors, used alot when I was a youngster but not used since returned to running, do you still have to wear an uncomfortable strap around the chest, or has it been redesigned in the last 15 years? I think Max HR is normally around 220minus your age Dachs. So you could work zones out from that.

I can uderstand the need to get back running Bus, after a whilst out though it seems easy just to not start again and become another sedentary individual. Why did you go for the La Spotiva XC and not the crosslite? cost or because the crosslites are 2nds. need to research the difference between the two.  tempted to try a pair at that price.

on the subject of PF, my book on the subject suggests it takes around 5months avg, to clear up after starting treatment, treatment being a very very simple stretch 3 times a day, which I've started doing now as it still hurts in the morning and at random periods.

Good training going on again! A 5mile tempo Dachs, hardcore. Nice miles Dean, long intervals are a neccesary evil in this game I guess, I wuss out after 1200m. few hills for me tonight, not quite enough volume, but at least I got afew miles in.

14/11/2012 at 08:32
WarrenK78 wrote (see)

PMJ - really hope you can shake that foot problem off. Must be hugely frustrating. I've had a total of 75 days off injured this year so I know how it feels.

Warren, most of mine is self inflicted through stubbornness. Guess I am getting older: that is always the wisdom that as you get older it just takes longer to recover and injuries need to be taken a tad more seriously.

Seb from Rugby wrote (see)

Your not having much luck are you PMJ, Maybe I didnt scroll back enough pages but have you found out what is causing the pain yet? hope it starts to heal soon.

No answer yet. The podiatrist said there is nothing wrong with the foot mechanically and I have had no acute injury so it is just some form of chronic injury so stress fracture or bruised bone and both will clear with time. I am waiting for an x-ray appointment so maybe that will shed more light. Part of my trouble is that I don't easily bruise (only time I have done so is when I break a bone) so there isn't a big ugly patch of colour to tell me something is wrong. I am trying to take a few weeks off but the OCD has cut in so I have brought my old mountain bike to work and am cycling at lunchtime instead of running. I can cycle much faster than I can control it so it just has to be time before I end up inside the Grand Union Canal rather than alongside it.

14/11/2012 at 10:25

Bus, I could never be described as being even remotely hyperactive. Only the knowledge that acquiring the physique of the Pilsbury Dough Boy keeps me on the run.

Quite happy to lounge around for hours doing zilch.

I knew someone who was full of nervous energy and clearly hyperactive. They couldn't sit still for one second and were so motivated to do things that they even went skiing with a back so bad they needed surgery. 

An observation I've made about people like the above is that they can overide the symptoms of quite serious illness. It doesn't take much for me to call a halt to all extra activities if not feeling good.

8 miles early on including 4 intervals up and down a nearby hill with a couple of dips thrown in.

Distance on Garmin 0.4 mile. Pace: 5:40 up, 5:29 down, 5:47 up, 5:20 down.

Conclusion. Starting tempo in the next race is still going to prove awkward, as it takes a couple of minutes before my lungs start telling me I've over cooked things.

14/11/2012 at 10:54

That's me Ric! Bit like a stupid dog!

Seb - went for the XC as they are lighter, have better grip and a wider toebox than the crosslite. The over-riding factor was that they are a tenner cheaper though! On the downside they are less cushioned, but given that all my off-road seems to be on mud at the moment I'm sure that won't be an issue...

Philip - sounds like you are going to end up combining MTBing with a bit of open water swimming!

Managed a run this morning. 7M xc - felt hard work, but no wheeziness or other ill effects after, other than a bit of a sore ankle where I twisted it a few weeks back. Odd, how the enforced rest hasn't seemed to give it time to heel properly.

14/11/2012 at 16:05
The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - sounds like you are going to end up combining MTBing with a bit of open water swimming!

The canal can't be described as open water: some times it does look like this:

http://farm3.staticflickr.com/2088/2226521447_9266227f02.jpg

but often the dead dogs / rats / squirrels and general dross make it a lot fouler.

14/11/2012 at 16:14

Bus , when I read Ron Hill's book 'The Long Hard Road' part 1, I was forever reading accounts of him training through quite nasty injuries and illness.

However, when he got to a race he somehow managed to put all the problems to one side, win the race in a great time and then go back to being ill or injured.

A few weeks back I read part two of Ron Hill's autobiography. He was getting older and I noticed wasn't getting away with it regardless.

Must be a youth thing. Training for all the world like a cripple and then on race day performing. I did it myself once. I've a set of entries in a diary where my steady runs around one course came out at close to 60 mins due to one thing or another.

At the moment I do the same loop in what feels like an easy 56 mins.

However, then, I could somehow dig a sub 35 min 10k out. Now no chance.

IronCat5    pirate
14/11/2012 at 16:49

Phil - don't forget your can of coke for after the swim

Dachs/Bus - I'm helping out my German colleagues who are overworked. I dislike travel strongly. However at least the time is 'mine' inasmuch I don't have to share it with wife/kids/etc, so once work is over I can train whenever. Or even before work if I'm feeling it.

14/11/2012 at 17:23

Open sewer then Philip!

Anyone use the Saucony Pro-grid Jazz? Looks like a good high mileage training shoe to me and is on sale in sportshoes.com for £40. If so, what's the sizing like?

14/11/2012 at 17:58

Iron - Make sure you visit the "historic sausage kitchen" by the Steinerne Bruecke.  Mmm.

13,541 to 13,560 of 25,279 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.