Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,561 to 13,580 of 25,867 messages
14/11/2012 at 21:37

I used to like a nice Frickadeller in Shashlick sauce when I were a lad in Germany!

My La Sportiva XC's arrived today. They look much better in the flesh than in photos. I can't wait to try them out in anger, but don't want to get them muddy! Bit snug too, but we'll see...

14/11/2012 at 21:53

When are you going to try 'em out Bus? and review them for me  wondering whether to order some before they sell out!

14/11/2012 at 22:01

11 pairs of shoes Bus. So I'm not the only one with a mad shoe collection then. I've got 11 pairs myself. Bored right now so I'll list them for anyone even more bored than I am.

Nike Lunargilde 4, Nike Lunarglide 2, Brooks ST5, Brooks ST4, Brooks T7, Adidas Adios, Adidas Mana 5, Saucony Kinvara, Saucony Type A5, Nike Waffle XC spikes, Nike Matumbo track spikes. I think I may have posted that list before so apologies if you had to read it again.

13 miles tonight. For once the wind wasn't into me on my way home from work, which made running a lot easier. Tried to ignore sticking to HR and just ran at what felt like a nice easy pace. Averaged 6:55 pace so things seem to be progressing.

14/11/2012 at 22:30

Wearing them round the house tonight Seb - they feel great, and go really well with the PJs! May try them on Saturday morning as I don't want to risk a double on Friday and am on the road tomorrow.  I'm tempted to buy a second pair and see if Pete Bland will do them for £30!

There's nothing better than reading about running shoes Warren! (You like your Nikes don't you?!). Must admit, I was also tempted by some ST5's on sale as well!

Here's mine listed in full (feel free to lookaway now if these things bore you!)

FELL:

Mudroc 330s (slightly big, save for wearing with sealskins in the snow!), Mudroc 280s (great ll rounder, now discontinued), The new La Sportiva XCs!

TRAIL/XC

New balance MT101s, Roclite 285s, Adidas Kanadis (plus some Puma Trailfoxes I don't run in and a pair of Roclite 315s that are nearly dead)

ROAD/RACE

Asics DS Racers (nearly dead), Adidas Hagios, Adios (in the post!) , Brooks Green Silence, Brooks Ghost II, Asics Gel Cumulus 10 (on standby in the garage after 650miles!)

Also got a pair of Sub 4 Spikes, but am yet to wear them....

IronCat5    pirate
15/11/2012 at 08:29

You bunch of women!

I have ASICS GT-2170s at the mo, plus the 2160s they replaced (need to throw these out). Some Mizuno XC shoes that I got free from Mizuno for testing in June (only did 30 miles). Also my ASICS Trabuco XCs. And 2 pairs of bike shoes.

Are XC spikes really worth it? I see we can use them at Sandhurst, though I'm sure Sandhurst has a metalled road to cross twice...

15/11/2012 at 09:05

Hey - don't get me started on my collection of high heels!

15/11/2012 at 09:12

4 pairs of Nike Pegasus ...

I won't go on, 11 is nowhere

15/11/2012 at 09:35

Oh no, shoe talk!

Reasonably tough track session last night - 8 x 1K (200m jog recovery), starting at "10K" pace and trying to take 2 seconds off every time.  I'm not convinced the session is actually possible if you genuinely start at 10K pace, but there you go.  Anyway, I didn't quite succeed - 3:26, 3:24, 3:25, 3:22, 3:19, 3:22, 3:19, 3:18.  Average 3:22, which is about 4 or 5 seconds off what I would be averaging on previous fitness, but not too surprising.

SG, all reay for Gosport?  It's supposed to be a nice day.  10mph winds predicted at the moment, which isn't too bad at all.

15/11/2012 at 09:40

Still agood session that Dachs, and tough trying to take time off each rep.

11 is only the live ones Philip!

15/11/2012 at 10:37

dachs - a little wobbly on the splits but as you say thats to be expected. it looks like its supposed to start on 10k pace and ends on slightly faster than 5k pace. I assume the recovery is approx 1minute which is the real reason its so hard a session. as rep 6 at about 5k pace off only 60 secs is going to feel mighty tough.  A hard session IMO. So your ave pace looks good to me.

15/11/2012 at 16:11

Reps for me today. A bit on the slow side, and pretty knackered after, but it was good to remind my legs what they are for!

Couldn't decided what to do, so set off anywayand ended up with:

1.7M warm up, then 2 x 1M at 10M pace, 2 x 1/2m at 10k pace, 2 x 1/4M at 5k pace, all off 90 sec, then warm down to give 7.7M. Ankle OK when warmed up, but a bit sore now.

TR
15/11/2012 at 19:08

SG - you should be ok weatherwise for Sunday as I'm not running, busy with other stuff.

one pair of shoes for me

15/11/2012 at 19:42

Another 10 miles off road today. Despite the soft going still average sub 8's. Just.

Epsom 10 on Sunday. Do I bother tapering? probably not, doesn't seem to make any difference.

On a few occasions I've had friends phoning up asking if I fancied a race (entry on the day) the day after I've done a speed session or long run. I had some really good results doing this.

Race shoes for Epsom weigh in at 150 grms so light. Replaced insole with the ones out of my Fellcross studs. New Balance RC1600.

IronCat5    pirate
15/11/2012 at 20:40

Good training all round. Didn't make it to the sausage kitchen last night as it was 8pm by the time I left the gym, so ate in the hotel, and refreshed with Weissbier. Made do with a currywurst at the airport today.

I went off plan tonight and went to the club hill session. 2 mi WU followed by reps of the 250m hill. First 2 reps fairly easy, then some lunges uphill. They felt ok, but the recovery jog afterwards had my hamstrings in cramp. A couple more easy reps to shake things out, but nothing improved. So I came home.

I now think it could be the hip adductors (or adductors?). Hamstring stretch helps, but doesn't seem to hit the spot whereas one of the hip (or groin) stretches - ankle on other knee and pull up on back of thigh) seems to work better. Biology was never a strong point...

15/11/2012 at 21:45

Dachs, that's a beast of a session, the 200m is prob circa 90 seconds for recovery. So similar to the sessions of 8x1KM I've done, only you did them at my 3K pace!

7 easy yeasterday and 5 easy today. Feeling good for Leeds.

16/11/2012 at 11:19

Seb - ran in the LS XC's this morning (couldn't resist it!)

Initial thoughts are that they are excellent. Weight is pretty good - 260g for my size 7.5. Grip is superb - almost on a par with the Mudclaw, and the rubber seems pretty sticky, so should be ok on wet rock. Certainly didn't slip on damp tarmac. They coped with the gloop no problem this morning, even on off camber sections that my Kanadias struggled with earlier this week. They are very low to the ground, so a good feel, though the thin midsole means there is not much cushioning. Not sure how they would feel over hard packed surface for any distance - the rubber lugs might help.

Fit is glove like. They come up slightly small, and I can feel a slight pinching on my little toes, so if you are at the bigger end of a size, you might want to go half a size up. That said, the upper will give over time I reckon, so I don't see this as a problem. Also, if you are used to salomons, I think they would size about the same. Heel cup is very precise and hold the heel well. I like the scree guard - it keeps the laces out the way and free of mud. not sure how you would deal with a broken lace though as you can't get to the bottom very easily! 

I'm running home in them tonight, then a 14M on Sunday. if that's Ok, I'm going to get another pair.

16/11/2012 at 18:08

cheers Bus, I think I'll try a pair. shame you dont live closer otherwise we could get the 2 pairs for £70 and have one each. You have tiny feet, 7.5!!

Good luck SS for Leeds,SG at Gosport and Ric at Epsom , I'm sure you'll all do well. Is Dachs doing Gosport too? Anyone else racing this weekend?

Nice 1K reps Dachs, Over the coming weeks you'll gain that speed endurance back.

Monstrous track session last night, broke some rules concerning distance of reps and total distance covered but couldnt let my training partner run on his own, so stuck it out. 5 x 1600m@ 5k pace with 400 jog recovery (2:45-3mins). running negative splits so 2:40 first 800m then a tad faster for last 800m. turned out 5:18, 5;18, 5:16, 5:17, 5:10. progress clearly being made as I would not dream of being able to complete that session afew months ago. Lots of time spent at Vo2 Max so a good session.

Edited: 16/11/2012 at 18:10
16/11/2012 at 18:30

Cheers Seb.

Had a twinge in my lower back yesterday, probably as a result of a chain-saw job I was on. Seems ok now, but had me concerned for a while.

My feet are UK 7.5, but if they were any bigger; for my height and Bus, we would resemble Coco the clown. Proportion, proportion.

Impressive session Seb. I'd be inclined to cut duration and number to about two thirds of that once I've done the full works a couple of times. Its the principle of once you've reached a level off a training increase, it only takes 60% of that loading to stay there.

16/11/2012 at 20:02

Hey, what do you mean - I had my feet surgically cut down to save weight on both feet and shoes

Stonkingly quick session that Seb!  I'm going to persuade PB to give me a 2nd pair for £30 to make it £70 for 2 - I'm sure they'll oblige!

Horrible run home tonight, wet and foggy. I hate fog on a headtorch run. The light just shines back at you, and tonight I couldn't see more than about 10 feet in front of me, even holding the headtoch down low. In the woods there are no reference points, especially as the paths are hidden by leaves, and its easy to get totally disorientated - I actually got temporarily lost after about half a mile on a route I've done 200 times!! Ended up pretty slow at 9:15 pace  but pleased just to be able to make it home (especially as at lunchtime, not only was the ankle throbbing, but I had a mysterious pain in my left quad that almost stopped me walking - very bizarre, but was gone by this evening....)

17/11/2012 at 17:12

Only 4 miles today. Epsom 10 tommorow.

I last did this race 10 years back, and remember it for the fact that my first mile came out at 4:58!.

Short mile, downhill, following wind. Possibly all three.

Good luck to all racers tomorrow. 

Has anyone noticed how withdrawn its possible to get as a race looms up. 

Trouble I find is that if I think too much about an event, I invariably have a bad one.

My best races are last minute jobs where I get roped in the night before. Something to do with overdoing the adrenaline I understand.

Its the sort of thing that stops you even posting.

A friend of mine who was an international didn't even speak on the day prior to a race.

He went to one event with another international and was; according to the other guy, mute the entire way to the race. The friend of mine did a 1500m in 3:42 and then; according to the other guy, "the c..t never shut up the whole way home". 

Winners then!

13,561 to 13,580 of 25,867 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.