Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,621 to 13,640 of 25,545 messages
19/11/2012 at 11:23

SG - I don't mention that marathon win much as 2:45 is not really that quick. That said, the newspaper article complete with pic of me crossing the line with eyes closed is framed at home. It was one to remember. I ran together with another guy and we had gone through halfway in 83 mins flat so the leader had nearly 5 mins on us at halfway. We chased down second place at about 18 miles and caught first place with about 2 miles to go. I took off like a scalded cat when we caught the leader and put 2 mins into my opposition over the closing 2 miles. All I got for winning the race was a £50 cheque and a nice trophy (you can just about make out both in my grubby mitts in my profile pic) so that gives you an idea of the quality of the field.

19/11/2012 at 11:51

Haha Warren, you don't mention it much, but have it as your profile pic, and have the cuttings at home

2.45 is pretty quick in my eyes, nice round number too. Certainly beats the 3 races I've won. I've a pic of me getting a trophy for a particularly bootleg race in a deserted field from some random old bloke with a cap on. Could be anyone...just some guy mosying on through. What was more embarrasing was being hunted down by the organiser a year later to return the "trophy", which looked like a goblet from some medieval feast.

Great chasing down in your race though, 5mins on you mid way, cripes.,...he either had a monumental blow up, or you and your mate had a massive power surge!

4miles done and dusted, back feels surprisingly fine today. Couple of niggles in the original places though.

I guess my body got wise yesterday. It knew i'd have gone ahead and raced with the existing niggles, so had to create a new one to properly stop me

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 11:52
19/11/2012 at 18:09

Great racing Dachs and Stevie See! Both getting PB's, well done. Training clearly works. Glad you nailed that 36mins Stevie, nice negative split too, thats some good pacing. Now for the slog towards sub 35 eh! After the XC season is over of course.

Dachs thats a fairly smart HM time off the interrupted buildup you've had, as you say the tempo sessions are probably key to knocking that time down. Not done a HM myself, but will have match your aim and go for sub 1:15 late next year if I want to get on the championship start for VLM 2014, thats the aim, fairly ambitious I think.

Good racing Ric, another sub 60 under the belt. shame another fast V50 turned up and took your potential prize away. I like to see the finish a couple of hundred meters away to gauge the finishing effort, but a mile!

Another bumper week for me, 55miles, the most I've ever covered in 7days, shame the arse (piriformis) has started aching again (only due to running I can assure you). It hurts to drive/sit down for too long, which isn't fun.

19/11/2012 at 18:24

Sub 35?  Well I've taken a minute off my time every year for the last 3 so... Ha ha. I think that will be a long term project. My 10k time will take a while to consolidate and maintain over slower courses before I even consider taking time off it. Best get to it... 7 miles for me tonight. Buuuuurrrr it's cold!

Deano... highly unlikely I'll doing Leek. It's done me twice now. I've entered a 10k in Tatton Park the day after. Bit of a town fun run, although there are 1000 entrants and its full already the field is pretty thin quality wise. I'll be top 5 for sure if it continues trends from previous years. Tough course though and a good workout. Maybe the chance of a pot!

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 18:28
19/11/2012 at 18:33
.Seb wrote (see)

shame the arse (piriformis) has started aching again (only due to running I can assure you). 

made me chuckle..well played

Join the world of frustration tho...piriformis/back can cause some bits to act like they're strained when they're not...very confusing to know what to do, and only a physio can tell! Til i see one, i'll get by on reduced easy pacing going off feeling.

19/11/2012 at 21:41

I totally forgot I entered a race on Sunday! Entered a fast 5 mile race! Bloody hell...

Just realised it's a right duff race I've entered thinking it was another race that isn't on this year. Looks like a DNS. Not bothering with that, relieved if I'm honest.

Just added a few XCs to the race calander, also heading over to Sheffield to run the Open XC there on new year's eve. I had planned on another road 10k but that would be a thankless task after Leeds. Looking forward to some mud and hills.

Edited: 19/11/2012 at 21:57
20/11/2012 at 09:29

Stevie, what are you like with your race entering! Get the right race!

Incidentally my race history stats look like this

136 races completed
2 races entered DNS
2 races intended to enter, drove to, couldn't find the start, drove home gutted! (luckily having meant to enter on day)

Got the ball rolling with booking a doc appointment today, hopefully will put me onto physio, then shouldn't be too long before a NHS one. In meantime will take it run by run...

if i had to self diagnose, I'd say some kind of sciatica, seems to affect hip, hamstring and then back. Check on the 3. And can make it feel like you've got hamstring issues, when really it's piriformis/sciatica related. That'd possibly explain why I slightly put the back out, as I'd done too much hamstring stretching, which if anything may well have made it worse.

We live and learn!

disclaimer : not the thoughts of a trained expert....heresay and conjecture

20/11/2012 at 09:49

Stevie G - I know I haven't posted for ages but I just read your injury issue and thought it may be worth checking or mentioning that it may be your hip flexor area especially the Psoas Major muscle leads up from groin through hip area and into lower back. I've just had same problem and it manifested into severe hip/groin pain plus back spasms!! it may be worth checking out quickly as you've been running well and a shame not to get sorted!!

Hello to everyone else as always Dean/Seb racing well, Stevie See brilliant sub 36 and hope Dachs,Bus and Phil ok too.

Edited: 20/11/2012 at 09:55
20/11/2012 at 10:26

ta Rob, welcome back, where've you been! Stick around old son.

Hope your problem resolves sounds nasty! While mine tends to be more dull on and off ache rather than any pain, it deffo needs a looking at. First step is doc. In 20mins...i best get there!!

20/11/2012 at 11:00

hi Rob, been dipping in and out of the MG thread and saw you were thinking of Stafford common XC.  Had a look around for you on sat but looks like some niggles got in your way.  Hopefully you are well clear of them for telford.

20/11/2012 at 11:12

Dean waiting for results of MRI scan this Friday as lost 8 days running done a week now and picked up a little last night for first time (9 miles @ 6.45 pace) hip etc seems to have settled but will make some decisions after Friday's results!!

I believe stafford was a mud bath (thank God I missed it)

20/11/2012 at 11:46

Hi guys,

Does sound like hip flexor problems, groin, hip & back being the link.

I'm fortunate in having a would be physio under my roof.

Latest project, breaking down old scar tissue, in my lower back region. That's probably hip flexor related.

He insists it must be done, for me there is no escape. 

20/11/2012 at 12:05

having a physio for a partner is a good angle. I should probably put that higher up my list of desirable characteristics i look for!

20/11/2012 at 12:42

I don't count it as a DNS if I have no intention to run it! It was the venue that confused me, Wythenshaw park not Wythenshaw track! All good cos' I'll be on the Peroni this Friday.

How do you post photos on here, I've got a cracking pain and clock watching shot from the Abbey dash!

20/11/2012 at 13:58

stevie, just use the little tree icon on the bar above where you paste messages, it gives you options of where yo get your pics from.

not the best 5 at lunch. left hip a bit achey, right hamstring a little sore. Still, every run is slightly different, so I guess i'll aim for a maintenance week, maybe 30-35miles until physio can get to the bottom of things.

Last time round i naively waited for the physios to call me (!). This time round I know where they are and what their number is, so will call tomorrow!

20/11/2012 at 14:07

i think robs other half is a physio too. 

On physios i have just come back from my weekly visit for the metarsalgia (eg massage of foot and ultra sound) and recomends that i refrain from running to let the inflamation ease.

So what i took from that was keep up the quality sessions on the track and tempo on a saturday but stop all other running (including the next couple of XC races if needed) and switch to the cross-trainer in the gym to keep cardio up.

SS - isnt wythenshaw track in wythenshaw park?  i thought that was the same venue as sale sizzlers.  To be honest im bored of running around there as i did 4 sizzlers and the sale 5m too.

20/11/2012 at 14:17

SG, this physio's my lad. Has an eye for torture judging by the way; once having identified one of my sore spots, he sneaks up and gives it a jab .

Only two miles yesterday for recovery purposes. First mile took about nine minutes whereas the second was just under 8.

Close to 11 miles off road today, average just under 8 min mls. Lower back muscle made its presence felt at around 8 miles. Seems ok now. At least I don't have brace myself for a stab anymore when sneezing.

20/11/2012 at 14:25

Dean quite right my Wife is a fully trained physio only problem is she is my wife and I don't tend to listen

20/11/2012 at 15:05

Hello Rob - like SG says, don't be a stranger

Stevie G . wrote (see)

having a physio for a partner is a good angle. I should probably put that higher up my list of desirable characteristics i look for!

I thought that was a list of 2 - a pulse and ability to put up with your running obsession .  (sorry, couldn't resist!)Get that Swiss ball out by the way if it is sciatica....

Lunch intervals today. Found a new part of Aylesbury to do them, with a dead flat, completely traffic free wide cycle path just over half mile long - perfect! 8M total including  6 x 0.5M off 90 secs in 2:46, 2:47, 2:47, 2:47, 2:48, 2:48.

20/11/2012 at 15:53

ah Bus, the next future ex is going to be hard to come by, the last ones were a bit out of my league

Once a physio gives me the key stuff, I'll follow it like a lemming, and that's why I tend to get back in the right timescale. It's the not quite knowing stage, you tend to rely on the stuff that's healed in the past, but it always needs something a little different!

nice 1/2miles as ever. I do feel hungry to come back already, and I've only really missed 1 day. Probably going to be similar to earlier this year, where I only missed abotu 3 or 4 days with the hip, but had about 3 or 4 weeks of under normal level training.

13,621 to 13,640 of 25,545 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.