Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,681 to 13,700 of 25,187 messages
22/11/2012 at 19:08

depends what you want out of a race. Pb attempt or just the "experience".

I see some runners racking up 50+ races a year and seem to never race one flat out, which is fine, it's horses for courses after all.

But I guess for you, a flat road race is only for one reason!

TR
22/11/2012 at 19:59

SG - shame you missed Gosport, never known such a still day in Nov. I guess injuries are part of the deal with some of the sessions and paces that you folks on here run though. You wouldnt want to be doing the Hayling 10 this Sunday, if you thought GSR was windy, its a very similar route with lots of seafront. 

22/11/2012 at 20:02

Yep TR, it was a bit of an a hole, but to be honest that week I was already having doubts, so my body did me a favour creating an odd 1 day back lock job! Otherwise i might have foolishly turned up!

Have to be philosophical about it...worry about things you can affect and all that!

I also think I'd raided the south coast enough these last 2 months!

22/11/2012 at 20:55

Did a nice little session tonight. We did a hilly loop of roughly 400-420m. Session was 1lap, 2laps, 3laps, 3laps, 2lap, 1lap. The recovery was a min for every lap you had just ran. So you got bigger recovery on the way down, so a bit more pressure to increase the pace!  Ran 82, 2:58, 4:33, 4:30, 2:55, 78. Middle 2 long reps at 10K pace the 2 laps at 5k and the 1 laps at 'fast'.

Finally a day off now! Woo!

Good to hear you have managed some running of late SG so try not to worry too much.

22/11/2012 at 21:07

something different and interesting there Stevie, nice work. Makes me nostalgic for the old club sessions on some random location. Nowhere near as polished as yours though obviously!

yeah I'm not too bad, but not 100% which is what we demand!

joining you in a big F OFF tomorrow though.

IronCat5    pirate
22/11/2012 at 21:10

A busy few days with work, including a long drive in the car today, so took it easy tonight with the club. 10k at what ended up being 4:51/km average (7:51/mile).

Sandhurst's XC on Sunday!

22/11/2012 at 21:16

Our run was around an old folks close, bungalow city! Loads of OAPs looking out their windows wondering what the hell was going on. Few oldies walking home giving some words of encouragement too which was funny and nice at the same time! Beat being on our track which was like a bog tonight, absolute joke. F-OFF starts tonight with some foam rolling

Can you roll your lower back over your roller? I've done that and it's really nice to let a bit of tension out. I like rolling my whole spine along it too after work sometimes just to ease me up. It might help loosen the hip/glute area for you a bit.

22/11/2012 at 22:01

Interesting session Stevie. Presumably none of them tried to trip you up with their sticks then??

Stevie G . wrote (see)

depends what you want out of a race. Pb attempt or just the "experience".

I see some runners racking up 50+ races a year and seem to never race one flat out, which is fine, it's horses for courses after all.

But I guess for you, a flat road race is only for one reason!

Indeed! Some races are as much for pleasure as anything, but a wet trip to Milton keynes could have but one purpose!

Talking of PBs (!) I've just entered Wokingham - there's an awful lot of names on the entry list, so seems to be filling up fast anyone who's considering it....

IronCat5    pirate
23/11/2012 at 08:26

I think there is a cost element to DNS nowadays. Even though you've paid £30 for a HM, there is the cost of travel (in my case to Cardiff), food and drink, time away from family, etc. All for a result you know you don't want.

I'm not in for the Wokey Cokey this year. Although it's the club champs, my mentor suggests it's not towards my end goal.

23/11/2012 at 09:09

Bus, it's funny how cautious a DNS makes you on entering races! I think I'll hold off on Wokingham.

Every year the "panic" gets higher and higher with people thinking it gets sol out really early, but it's no Reading half. As long as you don't try and enter in Feb, it's normally ok comfortably the other side of christmas!

Iron, you're dead right, Gosport was £14, which isn't ideal to just throw away, but the drive there would have been about £25 or so so it was saving money not going. Although clearly the health and discomfort elements were way overriding of the money.

That's the beauty of XC, entry on the day, club pays the fee anyway, so just turn up at the last minute. My old club you had to find one guy before the start and get signed up...I can still recall the stress of 2006 when i drove there with a gf of the time, and we managed to arrive with 11mins to the start, had to get signed up, stretch, warm up, change, arghhhhhhh.

No wonder I ended up having to sprint to beat a club mate guy 30years older in the last 100metres and had a right old stinker!

Will make a very late call on Sandhurst. On the one hand it's my club's home race, is a lovely course and a short one. On the other hand, xc doesn't matter compared to the road, it's going to be horrific conditions even by Sandhurst's conditions, and I watched with shock at Phil running Datchet injured the other week, and I'd be to some extent doing similar

23/11/2012 at 09:36
Stevie G . wrote (see)
Will make a very late call on Sandhurst. On the one hand it's my club's home race, is a lovely course and a short one. On the other hand, xc doesn't matter compared to the road, it's going to be horrific conditions even by Sandhurst's conditions, and I watched with shock at Phil running Datchet injured the other week, and I'd be to some extent doing similar

Message me if you decide to go: I have a hankering to jog round but can't face the journey alone so wouldn't mind a lift or offer one.

23/11/2012 at 09:51

Will do Phil, I'll know for sure on saturday, I'll try 6miles with strides. If they don't feel good, then 5miles worth at that pace certainly won't.

ps the "Candyman" thing always seems to draw out posters who haven't posted for a while.

Therefore, i'd like to put a call out for

Luvsa,
Jools
Wool
Beany B
Sawney B
UG

Any of you around? You ok?!

23/11/2012 at 14:45

I regard race entries as buying an option. Does get a mite expensive when the option is 'not'. Mind you, some people start running and immediately sign up for all the big city marathons, I exaggerate but maybe not.

Emailed my club about Wolverton. Mentioned the weather as a factor and needless to say they made light of it. 

Next time I'll say I think I've a ruptured spleen. Probably get a reply saying 'jog round for a point'.

I once saw a guy do the high hurdles 'for a point'. Not sure what the 'point' was, or how valuable it was but the guy was shorter than me. He had to take a separate run up to clear each barrier. Must have taken him about 2 minutes.

That's entertainment.

10 miles of mainly soft stuff this morning. Found a record 7 golf balls on the golf course. That's over 70 I've had since I started training on the place.

Edited: 23/11/2012 at 14:48
23/11/2012 at 15:30

Where do you put them to carry them home

I'm ruling out Wolverton (haven't entered, so no finacial loss anyway!). Not because of the dire weather forecast, or even the logn drive but more because my legs were ridiculously heavy on my run in this morning, and I also need to run home tonight.

On the plus side (for me anyway!), my lad hasn't been picked for his team's footie match on Sunday, so I can do my long run then...

23/11/2012 at 16:13

i havent run since tuesday as part of my "refrain from running" advice given from my physio.  I plan to break it for a cheeky tempo tomorrow if weather allows, as i have dropped all non quality sessions only.  Not much fun trying to hit tempo pace in a driving gale.  And then no more running until next tuesday. when i will try some mile reps for a change

23/11/2012 at 16:48

Dean, surely you're either injured and incapable of the hard sessions, or not injured.

Most of us when injured will only do the easy paced stuff, so your option is intriguing!

Ric, you know "finding" balls on the golf course, could be defined as thieving? You must cost that club a fortune.

Of more question is what you're doing with all these balls? I have visions of some home made concoction that you lie on to give yourself one hell of a muscle ruck  up.

Today's rest day has almost gone, will give tomorrow a test, to see if sunday is doable at all.

23/11/2012 at 16:56

Bus, I have a bum bag in which I carry items, water, phone and arse-wipes. Plenty of room once the drink has been dealt with.

Dean, watched a 25 min, 5 mile standard guy, gradually wreck himself on account of choosing to do fast stuff when he couldn't run base. It became all or nothing. And one day nothing.

Only one solution, and that's the stationary bike. I've just ordered a new one myself.

Its taken a while for the penny to drop but my best running was when doing blasts on the bike one day and intervals the next.

Plan for winter is one run per day, second session on the bike.

23/11/2012 at 17:06

SG, indeed, I am a thieving git. However, in mitigation, I only keep the really good ones unless of course its ladies day and therefore compelled to show them what balls I've got and to let them have em if wanted. They always want them.

The last pile of golf balls made their way to the Junior section of my lads golf club. Fees paid for by someone else btw. So really a case of re-cycling. Most popular, free golf balls courtesy of another club.

23/11/2012 at 17:47

in my mind, technically im not injured   my "issue" is metarsalgia and i could run on it as it only hurts after running, but it is not getting better so decided to ease off on the mileage and keep the quality for a week to see if that helps.  Also probably needed a cut back week anyway.  Its only a short term, one week only plan.

Thieving/recycling is the least of Rics problems if he showing his balls on ladies day.  dont let DT2 run near that course with his shorts, as he might give the older ladies a stroke

Edited: 23/11/2012 at 17:52
23/11/2012 at 18:07

Fair dos Dean, we don't want you to be one of these johnny come latelys who smash amazing times for a couple of years then disappear completely. Trust me there's plenty!

Instead, you need to become like me and Bus, racing for years, and using it as a disclaimer if no pb has been found for a while

I appreciate the honesty with you Ric. I much prefer this more talkative...or "writative" version of you, than the chap who used to just rock in with a 1 liner about something random once every 2 weeks

Reminds me of the 2 Beany's who would never post except to rock in with a "I GOT A PB" post then disappear again  (howdy Bean's if you're both reading!)

Also a quick turnover on this thread helps conceal my nonsense a bit better

Edited: 23/11/2012 at 18:09
13,681 to 13,700 of 25,187 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.