Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,801 to 13,820 of 24,128 messages
IronCat5    pirate
28/11/2012 at 21:27

I was going to Reading parkrun Saturday, but it's a few feet under water and now cancelled. I guess the problem with living in the Thames Valley, is that the Thames tends to flood said valley easily.

I've had a few runs where I've made the route up; as you say, it feels harder. I guess thats the thinking involved.

Interesting track session tonight at the club. 400s, with reducing rest. Starting at 60s, then going down by 10s each time to 20s, then working back up. 9 reps in all, shame we couldn't have done 10.

1:31, 1:29, 1:31, 1:27, 1:29, 1:30, 1:29, 1:29, 1:25

I recall SG asking me about a month ago whether I could do a proper 400m/60s track session rather than a 400m rest interval. There it is. I just hope this improvement is reflected in my 5km time..

Edited: 28/11/2012 at 21:41
28/11/2012 at 22:08

Nice blast out at 6min/miles there IronCat, when's the 5km smack down happening then?

Did an easy 10.5 tonight, didn't look at my watch till the very end. Felt SO easy, breathing felt like I was walking! Looked down and I'd done 7:20 min/mile, really nice suprise as I was expecting 7:35 ish. Feeling really fit at the moment. Bit of a sore knee, hip, ITB thing going on though. Will assess tomorrow if a track session is on or opt for an easy 8 instead.

29/11/2012 at 04:42

Ss, A long while back; it always is with me, I did a seven mile run home from work in snow and never felt so fit in my life.

I felt as if I weighed nothing; though since I was 122lb's at the time, it was close. 

But the spanner in the works was the same sort of niggle you have, hip, ITB. By the time I got home it was a real show stopper.

Shame really. In my mind I was really fit and in PB shape. In reality I was nowhere near. Its why I endeavour to rid myself of niggles before trying anything ambitious lest I turn them chronic.

Probably why I avoid the track on training night with the club. I'd always 'go for it' and sod the consequences.

In situations like this I think of an Italian coach talking of one of his superstar charges. "He thinks he's super fit but with a sore leg, but he's only as fit as his weakest link. So really he's a cripple with ideas above his station".

29/11/2012 at 07:56

4.42am posting

Sage stuff tho Ric. Never clever to try and smash a hard session when carrying niggles, at lesat without testing them. That's why I always try and graduate a return, short easy, then double short easy, then longer easy, and then back into harder stuff.

Stevie, that made me chuckle for some reason...I think it's the classic juxta position of feeling very fit, yet the body having a stack of niggles ready to bring you down. It's that tightrope between pb and breakdown that seems to make up 90% of the year!

As for me, delightful T OFF today.

Am hopeful come tomorrow, which is a 5x600 at 3k pace job, but only 1 run, I'll be back to full steam, rather than the bizarre bit knackered, almost a slight hint of being slightly nauseous few days just gone.

After today next 3 days are only a single, so surely will be fine.

Edited: 29/11/2012 at 08:02
29/11/2012 at 09:13

Morning all. Thought I'd pop my head round the door as, if ok with everyone, it'd be great to start joining in a bit more here rather than my passing comments of past! My training is definitely in the same vein as what I've read here with regards frequency and intensity so hopefully I can bring something to the table.

It'll also provide an outlet for any geek talk and stop my wife visibly yawning at the next mention of the word 'threshold' or 'interval'.

29/11/2012 at 11:23

Johnas, i insist you hang around....quality marathon and then 35.28 10k last time out, and on the improvement, you're certainly at home on here!

29/11/2012 at 12:23

Great, another sub 36 10ker on board to leave me at the back of the pack! (only kdding - keep posting Johnas!!).

That knee/hip/ITB thing is probably all connected Stevie -presuambkly you are rolling the ITB? Ric - s'funny you saying baout that run in the snow. I had a simialr run last year on snow and ice, where I PB'd a long standing training route and it just felt easy! Doesn't happen often enough, but getting that feeling every now and again when you feel the "flow" is why I run at all.

Nice run this morning  - crisp, cold and sunny XC. Nice texture of a lot of the mud as well - just tacky enough to not spray everywhere, but not solid enough to hurt!

T-off SG? Sounds like you are taking up golf...

IronCat5    pirate
29/11/2012 at 17:10
The Bus wrote (see)

Great, another sub 36 10ker on board to leave me at the back of the pack! (only kdding - keep posting Johnas!!).

You'll be penultimate. I'm hanging on to the back of the pack....keep looking in the distance - that little spot on the horizon; that's me.

29/11/2012 at 17:26

SG, I was woken at 3:40am by a flock of White Fronted geese going over the house and got up to put in a report on the London Birders website. So might as well tap out a post on the thread.

To be the source of mischief, go on the wiki site and edit the 'latest news' adding some comment. The guy who runs the site has absolutely no sense of humour at all.

Once he objected to something I put on and challenged me to reveal  my name. I did, with home address and phone number. Anytime mate!

As for niggles. Still bothered by some minor sore spot. Only the impact of hitting the ground each stride sets it off. Reducing the daily miles is helping. More on the indoor bike perhaps.

If I can't shift this tweak in the next 5 days I'll be knocking the Southern Vet XC race on the head. Might anyway. Only two of us entered, three needed for a team.

Edited: 29/11/2012 at 17:34
29/11/2012 at 17:33
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
The Bus wrote (see)

You'll be penultimate. I'm hanging on to the back of the pack....keep looking in the distance - that little spot on the horizon; that's me.

Great.... Resentment... always a good footing to start off on. Thanks SG *tongue firmly in cheek*

Happy running tonight those of you that are out. Looks like a dry one with no wind for a change this week.

29/11/2012 at 18:34

Don't worry Johnas, it's a calm friendly thread these days.

We've had the northsouth argy bargy, and a few randoms telling us we're underachieving, but generally it's a thread of encourgament, with an unfeasonably high amount of lurkers that occasionally we put a "lurker amnesty" out to.

Edited: 29/11/2012 at 18:53
29/11/2012 at 20:31

Ironcat - that's very noble of you to look after my natural position

It was a nice on this evening for running Johnas - clear sky and full moon to see by! Felt VERY lethargic tonight though, and it wasn't quite cold enough to keep the mud sticky!  I won't tell you what my pace was - I'll be disowned by the thread

Not surprised the geese are heading south Ric - if I had wings I think I would!

29/11/2012 at 20:37

Did the same as yesterday, in that didn't look at my watch during my run. This time was convinced it'd be 7:40 ish as it took a while for my knee to accept we were going for a run. Came out at 7 miles at 7:15. Again nice suprise but well within my 'easy' pace. Nice day off to roll the s***t out of this cliky hip and ITB.

Welcome Johnas, I've just gone sub 36 for 10k so we are in the same ball park, so can help each other along!

Bus I caight myself staring up at the stars too tonight, just wish I could run somewhere that wasn't a bypass! If you're a night sky geek download Google star map for your phone it's ace!

29/11/2012 at 22:26

Had a few good sky views tonight but my phone doesn't do apps. It's fair to say that, as far as phones go, I'm not really an early adopter!!  I hope that roling is doing the trick...

30/11/2012 at 11:10

Cheers SS... Looking at some of the sessions we've been posting, there's definitely similarities between our training sessions too. Looking forward to sharing and comparing with you.

Bus - agree about the clear night sky. Was beatiful but knock effect of no cloud cover is that it was bloody cold! I didn't take off my long sleeve jumper, hat or gloves despite doing interval training!

30/11/2012 at 14:47

just starting to become freezing cold at the moment...

with that in mind, and after a couple of fatigue-tastic runs earlier this week, was glad to just have a single, of 5x600 at 3k pace.

Didn't quite come out as that across the 5! But pleased to get some faster running back into the legs.

1.52 (4.55 pace), 1.56 (5.11), 1.59 (5.15), 2.02 (5.30), 2.03 (5.30)

Your classic start too fast and slow down as you go!

In fairness, doing this on the road, the 1st rep had a slight downhill gradient, and the 4th and 5th had not only a slight up incline, but also had a couple of roads to dodge

I also was very physically reminded that you simply can't have any surplus in your stomach doing this length rep at that pace intensity.....

I think 3k is a tough pace to hit as it is, let alone on the road, and for 600m. Let alone when it's a new revised pace. Those are always hard to hit at the start on the track, let alone the road!

I should probably do this session  on the track next time...but do it at lunch in the light, or in darkness and freezing cold on my own on the track ona  friday night? It's not much of a contest this time of year!!  

30/11/2012 at 15:11

Bloddy cold on the bike this morning - lost the feeling in my fingers by the time I got to the station...

Can't you squeeze that one onto the paths around Rye to avoid road crossings?

I was going to do a shortish rep session at lunch, but my legs felt really heavy, so I went for the do nothing option as probably a better bet the day before the LSR. I'll call it a taper for next week's race

30/11/2012 at 15:49

it wasn't too bad to be honest, just the mixture of the slight up and the bit of a road cross explaining the 5.30s away...

after all that should be my fast end 10k pace no

30/11/2012 at 17:12

Coudln't help thinking after my tempo the other day that it felt really hard, was only 4 miles and was 10 secs per mile slower than I need to do next Sunday! Hey ho - I'm sure the old RDM will help!

IronCat5    pirate
30/11/2012 at 17:19

Was going to do my long run today, but cold has got worse. Want to have a good night out tomorrow, so resting until Sunday.

13,801 to 13,820 of 24,128 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.