Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,841 to 13,860 of 25,507 messages
02/12/2012 at 16:30

That's quite a weekend Johnas! 6:55 mileing for 15 miles! Yikes. I like the hill session you did, I just can't muster tempo pace that earl;y without a big warm up. Need to get myself back on the hills it's been neglected of late with the dark nights.

I use to do Friday off then hard on Saturday, but I find it more enjoyable to do my LSR on Saturday as on Sunday it can end up get shortened as I'm striggling from the Saturday

A 9 miler ay 7:24 pace tonight, took to the trails so effort level was up but the knee hit didn't enjoy the twisting and turning. 61 miles for the week. Not bad.

02/12/2012 at 16:44
Cheers STevie - just a short run in comparison to Warrens 23! My pace looked more impressive as like Warren, I sneaked the last 4 miles at MP which brought average down a bit.

Jealous of that holiday Warren. Can't beat winter sun. Enjoy
02/12/2012 at 16:45

reading that above, thought Stevie had got Dachs run slightly wrong!

Johnas, 15miles at 6.55?! Did you get carried away, or does your coach have your easy zone set that low? My easy pace when I did similar to your recent 10k pb was 7.15-8.00, and even now when on paper a 34.30-40 ish 10k might be on the cards it's 7.-7.40!

I was wondering when running today, what's people's reasons for a 15miler at this time of year? Is it prep for spring half marathon, or just habit?

My long ones are 12s at the moment.

Dachs, 15 at an even nicer pace...does sound your back in your proper groove.

Stevie, you had me checking the clock...9miler tonight? But we're not even at "tonight" yet  Higher mileage than me my son.

In fact my last 6 have been 41,45,69,43.5,44,57

Bit of a racing period, and one week a bit reduced due to the back going for a day.

02/12/2012 at 16:46

ps..ah John, 4miles MP tweaked things a bit, but still, easy pace 7.00 upwards is it?

Doable for sure, but not necessarily "easy" as such?

(ps apologies for a hateful error of "your" not "you're" in above post. Hate those people who do that...blame the quick typing job!)

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 16:47
02/12/2012 at 17:19
Cheers, Johnas. I've struggled a bit since Berlin, but hopefully things are on the way back. Looks like an impressive day of running from you.

SG, 15 is supposed to just be my basic long run. Mg endurance doesn't match mg speed, so i need to go long.
02/12/2012 at 18:56

Some very good long runs this weekend then, both distance and solid pace. Think of us when you are in the Sun Warren! 23M at that pace with a strong finsih is a good place to be as well!

Changed the habit of a lifetime today and ran the day after a long run. what's more it was an interval session! The kids were in the Sports centre for athetics, and there was an empty track ouside, and legs felt OK so i thought "why not?". A tiny bit icy underfoot on one of the bends, though being slightly overdressed in a  thick thermal, I ended up doing the 400s bare chested to avoid overheating (luckily no one could see me in the dark!). 

Not a big session, but OK for the second quality of the week, and took me nicely to 52M for the week. I'm glad I swapped it from Friday, as it meant a better quality interval and long run. Came out as:

4 x 800m in 2:53, 2:48, 2:46, 2:48, then 4 x 400m in 1:19, 1:18, 1;19, 1:17 off 200m jog rec to give just over 6M with warm up and down added. First 800m was a bit off as I couldn't read my watch in the dark, so took a bit of time to find my pace.

SG - I try and keep my long runs to about 2 hours, both to maintain endurance and to control weight.

02/12/2012 at 19:10

bare chested? this time of year?!

02/12/2012 at 19:41

Bare chested Bus... have you lost your marbles? There you go with the 800s again! Nice impromptu session though, I have no idea what I'd be doing 800 sessions in now, can't remember from last summer.

Looks like a few of us are hitting the 10ks this week, SG + Bus at the quick road race and I'm doing a 10k trail race around a muddy national park. Hopefully the dodgy knee will be holding up. Running will be tricky this week with a lot of PM commitments and my loathing of AM running! With no long run and a soft 3 miler Saturday I'm still aiming at hitting 50 miles this week.

02/12/2012 at 20:11

appreciate the positive outlook on our 10k Stevie!

I'm hoping it doesn't turn into a "dangerously icy, very windy, assaulted by the ex, and a certain ex forumite nutter who both live in said town" 10k.

Stevie, as commitments rack up, you have to learn to embrace those early runs, just a 4m can set things off.

I have visions of Bus, shirt off, after the CP mutliple pb race from last year.

That pb feeling where you think you're Jack the Biscuit, checking yourself in every car reflection and mirror going

Just make sure you never check yourself in a car window before realising some bemused looking fella is looking out thinking, WHO IS THIS CHUMP

Edited: 02/12/2012 at 20:12
02/12/2012 at 21:55

Only ever bare chested by necessity chaps (well mostly!)! CP was a bleeding nipples issue where the ony other choice was to ruin my brand new CP t-shirt (whihc I am wearing right now coincidentally!) and tonight was either strip or boil with the clothes I had with me! I soon cooled down mind and after the 4 x 400m the thermal was back on pronto believe me!

Can't think of a better session than 800s Stevie! I did throw in a 100m sprint in the end mind. Fitss time I've done that since school! Despite a less than 100% accuate timing, my very slow 16 secs gave me a whole new respect for both sprinters and middle distance given that this was still slower than 4MM pace!! 

03/12/2012 at 07:46

you need to be 100% fresh for a flat out 100m Bus, and you need competition too.

Otherwise it feels an incredibly long way for such an uncomfortable pace!

03/12/2012 at 08:46
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Don't worry Johnas, it's a calm friendly thread these days.

We've had the northsouth argy bargy, and a few randoms telling us we're underachieving, but generally it's a thread of encourgament, with an unfeasonably high amount of lurkers that occasionally we put a "lurker amnesty" out to.

I haven't got a clue what you're talking about

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 08:48
03/12/2012 at 10:16

Must admit, I quite enjoyed running flat out, and felt like I was flying - until I looked at my time

5.5 very muddy miles this morning. Had to push quite a bit harder than I wanted as I got delayed and nearly missed the train....

Hello Mace!

03/12/2012 at 10:35

bare chested! Hardcore that! not adverse to it in the summer but i really do suffer from the cold and am wrapped up on club runs by September when everyone else is still in shorts. Nice splits too Bus for a day after a long run - did a 400m and 800m session myself last week with 60sec recoveries in 1.19/2.45 's but without a long run in the legs.

Stevie - I've had to embrace the AM running too and absolutely hate them but they do make you disciplined and I do feel great afterwards. As Bus says, get some squats into the programme and that'll help with that knee

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Johnas, 15miles at 6.55?! Did you get carried away, or does your coach have your easy zone set that low? My easy pace when I did similar to your recent 10k pb was 7.15-8.00, and even now when on paper a 34.30-40 ish 10k might be on the cards it's 7.-7.40!

I was wondering when running today, what's people's reasons for a 15miler at this time of year? Is it prep for spring half marathon, or just habit?

My coach doesn't give me zones per se - he has me running by feel and perceived effort. Over time I have come to learn what these pace zones are and they are pretty much right in the zones of McMillan. My long run is purely based on feel at an easy pace. The same run last week was 7:14 pace and the week before that 7:02. 8min/mile pace is saved for my recovery run on Mondays.

As for distance of long run, i go by time not mileage. Sunday runs at moment are 1.45 and as Dachs says, it's all about endurance. My focus for 2013 is marathon running and the start of VLM specific training is not that far off in reality so call it base building

03/12/2012 at 10:43

btw, I see Lemoncello had a DNF at Fukuoka Marathon with hamstring trouble again. I'm surprised by that as he sounded in top form from that MT interview. He's in good company though as Haille failed to finish aswell - looks like the Emperor's time has passed doesn't it.

A 2:14 for Scott Overall which is 3rd fastest British time this year. Not a patch on his 2.10 though but still a great run from him after the disappointment of not running NYC and having to refocus on Japan instead.

03/12/2012 at 11:49

Thanks Johnas. Interesting re running at PE rather than specific pace zones.

Quite sad about Haille, though I suspect he may have one or two good times to come. How the hell do you carry on beting your PBs when they are his though??!!

I've just come to the horrible realisation that I've made a schoolboy error in working out how to get to my target of 2500M for the year! My spreadsheet shows weeks by week commencing date. The last week commences 31/12, but the penny has only just dropped that means just 1 day of running for that week! Bugger, instead of a nice easy 35M week to finish the year as planned, I've now got to find an extra 35 miles somewhere between now and Christmas! I know it doesn't really matter if I do 2465 or 2500 miles, but that old OCD you know.....!

03/12/2012 at 12:07

Bus, don't worry about totals...the only thing that'll do is make you do pointless stuff that doesn't help the overall plan.

I totted mine up for instance, and I think i'd need 70mile weeks for the last 4 weeks, so that's not going to happen.

This week is a 50miler.2 rest days, light speedwork wed (if your'e around lunch Bus that'd suit you maybe?) 1/2mile reps at 10k pace.

03/12/2012 at 13:08

Yes, but if I don't hit a nice round number then all sort of of BAD things will happen  You can't risk offending the gods of the zeroes!

Seriously though, I don't like missing a self imposed target, as it is the thin end of the wedge in terms of a "that'll do" attitude that I could easily sink into...I'll just have to set a new target!

I am working at home Wednesday, but unfotunately around a lunchtime meeting, so will have to run either early or late I'm afraid. Shame, you know how much I love those half-mile reps .  I'm aiming for 40 this week, with Thu and Fri off.

03/12/2012 at 13:59

Ha ha! Totals. In 2011 I went out for a run on 31st December. The run was scheduled to be a 8 mile easy run but then I looked at my yearly total and I was on 2,990 miles before the run. Got to the end of the run and just decided to leave it at 2,998 miles for the year. Now that took every bit of will power to not be overcome by my OCD.

03/12/2012 at 15:16

Shear laziness warren  

13,841 to 13,860 of 25,507 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.