Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,861 to 13,880 of 25,229 messages
03/12/2012 at 16:44

now that's a good effort Warren. I'm probably going to finish 80 or so off 3000, which is a safe margin.

It's like a xx:49 time in a race, well away from the key half and full minute benchmarks!

IronCat5    pirate
03/12/2012 at 17:49

No idea how many miles I've done this year. I have no target.

8 miles today at 4:33/km. LSR done. Still snotty and coughing up goodness knows what. Cold days and increase pace = respiratory hell.

03/12/2012 at 20:03

Ah, Icfith, if you aim at nothing, that is what you wil hit . better out than it with that gunky stuff I guess!

Bloody Po10 and UKA!. A couple of years ago I did a race on New Year's day - the Kewstoke hangover 10k. Nice race, by the sea and for a very brief, but glorious few days I languished close to the top of the UK 10k rankings!! It is not far from my in-laws where (bad) luck would have I will be again this year on New Year's Eve. However, I've just noticed the race is ARC, whick means, although cheap to enter, it no longer appears on the Po10 ranking of course - grrrr! Hey ho, still a good excuse to go to bed early on new Year's Eve I suppose!

80 off 3000 SG? How could you? That's only just over an extra 1.5M a week over the whole year! Still, proves you're not obsessed with running or anything....

03/12/2012 at 20:17

Those rankings will always...erm..rankle!

UG sent me some link to some site that only deals in ARC. It looks a right bunch of old fanny. At least PO10 has MOST of the races. This site you'd probably be top 10 in the country if you went sub 35 for 10k

Bus, unfortunately i'd miscalculated...i'm on 2761, and that means 239 needed in 4 weeks...so a mere 60mile week needed for 4 weeks.

However, this is a mere 50mile week, and I dare say next week will begin light, so looks like the 3k is slightly out of reach

To be honest, getting a 10k pb is the only concern this week, not random figures!

Then in about 3 weeks we can have a nice annual thread summary of all our respective years...I'll work on a little format, highlights, lowlights, pbs in year, pbs at how many distances, times at start and end of year, and it'll be an interesting summary to the year. Just need to get a 10k pb in there to end the year, otherwise I'm sheepishly relying on that GSR split!

Edited: 03/12/2012 at 20:21
IronCat5    pirate
03/12/2012 at 20:37

Hehe - I had aims, big aims. Mile chasing wasn't one of them! For my A-race I switched to time based training, and it was very much a sea-change. All to be revealed at the end of the year.

Does anyone know of a UKA 5km road race before the year is out? That PO10 PB is a must!

03/12/2012 at 20:41

a fast flat 5k for UKA...i'd sell my "obvious forum presence" (Copyright Dachs) for one of those Irony Baby

03/12/2012 at 21:15

have you used the event seach function on this site Iron? quite a few events listed, might find a 5km if your lucky.

Bare chested Bus at this time of year is fairly extreme! extreme is good, nice work

As for Totals, I set mine on boxing day last year, the day after I got my Garmin! having no idea how many miles I was going to cover as I only done afew months of average training, I set it at 1750miles for the year. Tomorrow I'll surpass that target, wasnt a bad estimate really.

03/12/2012 at 22:22

Ha ha, the OCD of yearly totals is beginning to itch already! Mine will be a random number around 2300 ish, 400-500 up on last year. So progress, PBs speak for themselves, I wouldn't want 3k of miles behind me and no PBs!

A very easy 7 earlier on this evening, my knee is still dodgy. Gonna' drop all my effort sessions till this calms down or it's just 'go' and I'll be out for a while. So 5 x 1mile in now an easy 5-8 depending how the leg reacts. It really does feel like the whole leg is spazzed... knee, calf, hip, piriformis... the lot.  

03/12/2012 at 22:36

Not good Stevei, not good. Calf aside it does sounfd ITB related? Symptomatic of a big increase in training and pace though - it'll pass, and quickly with lukc.

Thanks Seb. Me tarzan... (actualy, my Mrs is Jane!)As per previous posts, you're total miles belies your pretty stellar performances this year!

Funny you should mention the DSR split SG - I wonder if those count? I know on some profiles on P010 they count splits from marathons of some of th top boys. I hope so - then i could add a 5k, 10k and 15k pb to the year's haul!  Difficult to find a suitable OCD number form that total!

Fair play Icfith (we'll have to come up with something snappier as a name!) 

04/12/2012 at 07:50

Stevie, hope that passes..if it doesn't naturally ease with a couple of days of just easy running, might be a physio job. Can be impossible to know what is the instigator when a few bits ache...and as runners we often think the worse, only to hear it's pretty much nothing!

Is it me, or is this time of year easier to tweak something too...taking longer to get warmed up?

I vividly remember a Marlow running session with a club once. Freezing cold "effort" session in a big group, I'd finish my rep, and basically had to wait for the slowest runner to finish, THEN we'd have about 2-3mins recovery....that so wasn't good standing in the freezing cold for so long!

Bus, I suppose the thing with a split rather than a result is that that split may have been more down and the later bit of the race up or something. Don't think that's any worry at GSR, but that'd be a reason not to take splits.

However, it's a million times more real to use than what most of us all do, and say what time on our own watch we've gone through a distance!!

Next year, I think we should work together, you me and Phil, and we'll hunt out some some big target flat races, 5k, 10k etc. Might be a 50-80mile job, but if the race is big enough/fast enough it can be worth it, like GSR.

Edited: 04/12/2012 at 07:54
04/12/2012 at 08:54

Morning all.... interesting chat about mileage. No such target for me - the aim was to finish the year better than last year which was with a popliteal injury that affected my walking gait, let alone my running. So, a result on that front (touch wood)

What got me back running in the end was finding a great physio. Depending on the level of training I'm doing, I still see him religiously. I've noticed SG that you really only use a physio when you're injured and was wondering what everyone else's approach to physio was. Stevie - do you include physio as part of your training or do you to wait until you're injured?

04/12/2012 at 09:10

For me a physio is always a last resort measure - not because I don't see the benefits of regular use, but simply a question of economics!

04/12/2012 at 09:16
The Bus wrote (see)

5.5 very muddy miles this morning. Had to push quite a bit harder than I wanted as I got delayed and nearly missed the train....

Hello Mace!

Bus !

04/12/2012 at 09:27

Hi Mace, is the name a homage to the rapper, or the spray?

Johnas, if money was no object I'd see a physio every day. But then if money and time were no object I'd sleep half a day, have massages every day, do weights, do loads of core...ie live the life of a professional.

Have to seperate the nice to haves and prioritise sometimes.

04/12/2012 at 10:42

Or the construction group, cheap corner shops or a heavy device to bludgeon people to death perhaps

04/12/2012 at 10:57

Absolutely understand the economics... i did ask my physio if i could get shares in his practise during marathon training. Still, £10 a week for a monthly massage is worth it in my eyes whilst i have no dependents and my only vice is my running

04/12/2012 at 12:01

Fair enough Johnas - you when break it down, it seems entrely reasonable! 

04/12/2012 at 13:40

nothing so sinister i'm afraid

It's my real life bona fide nickname, derived from my surname.

04/12/2012 at 14:35

Hmm, a clue as to your ID! Well, welcome back anyway!

Odd session today. Almost didn't run at all, as legs were very heavy anmd racing this weekend, but thought I'd set off anyway and see what happened, aiming may be for a few short intervals. Did a couple of miles warm up, then started a half mile rep, turned onto a path alongside a samll stream which was not only flooded but covered in sheet ice! Nearly came a cropper before I realised! Retraced my steps to another path (dry and in the sun!), re-started the interval and headed off again - straight into the teeth of a gale! No idea where it came from, as there was no wind before, but it was bloody hard work just finishing the rep at anything like pace!  Of course, there was no wind at my back on the return! Anyway, in the end, 6M with just 4 x 0.5M in 2:55 (!), 2:48, 2:53, 2:47

IronCat5    pirate
04/12/2012 at 17:41

Evening all. Hi Mace.

Seb - I had a look at the events for a 5km. It seems I need to buy a Santa costume to do a December 5km. . Oh Well...

13,861 to 13,880 of 25,229 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.