Moraghan Training - Stevie G

13,881 to 13,900 of 24,128 messages
04/12/2012 at 17:57

duff couple of runs today, hip seemed weak for the last 2miles of each run. Back to the mad strengthening regime rather than the casualler version of last couple of weeks it is!!

Bus, nice 1/2miles in the wind there...have some of my own on paper tomorrow. should let me know what i can take!

PC2
04/12/2012 at 18:01

After a stint some months ago, I'm back.... for a while. And yes I have been lurking for a lot of that time

Theres been a lot of inconsistency and highs and lows over the last few weeks, good race, bad races, and two weeks or injury enforced time out. The really frustrating bit was that the time out was straight after a grass session of 6 x 1500m (5.21, 5.21, 5.07, 5.19, 5.10, 5.05), although 3 weeks ago I made that 4 x 1500m (4.49, 4.40, 4.45, 4.48).

The talk of end of year mileage is what outed me. I did have a target for the year, and it will be missed, despite doing significantly more than any previous year. I'll save the reveal... although SG knows which end of the scale I pitch!

Had an Oxford Mail XC on Sunday, then accidentally ran my Monday morning 10 a bit quick.... 1st 5 in 33.34, 2nd 5 in 30.59 for 64.33... oops.

Off out for a club session tonight... I will speak again!

PC2
04/12/2012 at 18:05

Iron - 28th Dec but the places fill up fast each month.

http://www.serpentine.org.uk/rdb/friday/

04/12/2012 at 19:19

No running for me yet. 

I suspect I've progressively torn part of a hip flexor away from its attachment point.

Its going to take a while to fix. The original twinge seemed like nothing much but gradually it dawned on me it wasn't improving.

An overuse injury then becomes the prognosis. Especially when I think it has taken weeks to get this bad. Mind you, by some standards its's almost nothing.

The morning I roll out of bed without noticing my back first will be a novelty.

04/12/2012 at 20:34

My knee, hip, piriformis thing was the worst it's been on that 9 miler. Sports massage booked, day off the running tomorrow. Then very short and easy till it repairs, with another day off on Friday. No race this Sunday now either, not worth the risk. Unless there is a sudden improvement.

On the bright side I didn't break sweat doing a 6:59 min/mile 9 miler run. Just wish my legs would keep up with my heart and lungs!

04/12/2012 at 20:38

Stevie, if i hadn't done a couple of hip aching, yet normal paced 4milers, i'd ask how the heck you can on the one hand complain about all those aches, but still do 6.59 pacing!

But....i know it all so well...simply a biomechanical thing that needs correcting...

Mission is to get through the 10k sunday with a pb, then if I need to miss the other xcs so be it.

PC, those times look fast, too fast for my battered body to even bother getting the calculator out on!

ps Ric, when you've used your relative physio, pass them over to me please

Edited: 04/12/2012 at 20:39
seren nos    pirate
04/12/2012 at 21:27

sorry guys.......got to say that reading this page you are not a good advert for running fast

hope that the new year brings you less injuries.......

04/12/2012 at 21:44

Just being a bit picky myself.

I could run but have decided the quickest way to shift the niggle is avoiding activities that irritate it.

To put into context how bad; or not, the problem is. The sore spot is about the size of my little finger nail. A run somehow transmits this to the entire lower back.

The ability to power away on an indoor bike for 60 mins at a stretch, with no entertainment is still with me. 

04/12/2012 at 22:14
seren nos wrote (see)

sorry guys.......got to say that reading this page you are not a good advert for running fast

hope that the new year brings you less injuries.......

A mere by product of good honest endeavour.

04/12/2012 at 22:16

blimey, it does sound like this fourm has turned into the lounge in an old folks home!

I won't mention my developing round two of the lergy or sore foot!

Sounds painful ric. Hoepfully with your son's help you can sort it out. Stevie - I suspect you just need a few days off and do some rolling and stretching..

Welcome back PC2

05/12/2012 at 07:56

Sure is Bus...it's like the mix of the colder weather and a long hard year of training is taking the toll all round.

Having said that it is definitely true that running like we do develops hypochondria/over analysing type behaviour. I used to play through loads of stuff in footy days without a seconds thought, whereas these days the same stuff brings all the fear on!

When I think in 2012 in total I probably missed less than 7 days through actual injury, it's not too bad. But I suppose we count times we've reduced the schedule in either mileage or cutting out quality as being out too...

05/12/2012 at 10:24

Over analysing is th thing!

Crap run this morning! 7M xc on a dusting of snow. Don't know why as I had no specific aches or pains, but just REALLY slow! I was going to do a double today, but think I'll just rest now until Saturday instead, with just a swim and the usual cycle to work.

05/12/2012 at 13:29

How cryptic.  Is our lurker the former GB decathlete Dean Macey then? Or the jedi master Mace Windu from the dodgy new Star Wars films with which my 5-year old is obsessed?

A nice half-marathon specific session for me last night - 12 miles, with the plan being 7 easy, ending with 5 tempo.  The tempo pace was absolutely shocking, averaging 6:06 pace.  I'm blaming the after effects of my illness last week.  Think it was a decent session anyway, just wish I hadn't worn a watch.

Not to worry Bus, seems like crap runs are the order of the day.

So is there anyone on this thread not suffering from some kind of niggle at the moment?

Edited: 05/12/2012 at 13:30
05/12/2012 at 15:14

Its likely that all of us have something minor wrong with us most of the time. If we didn't, it'd mean we were jovial joggers or; my favourite, trainee Ipod Warriors.

Next. At last I've got around to putting a picture in the box.

My missus took the picture of me (sub 76 mins) at the now defunct Hillingdon Half Marathon.

One thing about that picture. That week was the first occasion I ever ran over 100 miles/wk.  I passed the mark during that race and, knowing where on the course that picture was taken. I must have just passed it.

As for passing it. I'll have to send the club secretary yet another bail out email. Looks like the Southern Vets this time. Next race then will be the Buntingford 10 miles in just over 3 weeks time. Hopefully I'll be ok for that one. Course profile only shows 60m of elevation which is about 25% of Epsom. Another 59:45 will put me on 2.0 for Run Britain.

Bugger! Just cropped the pic and resubmitted it. Looks like its wiped the original. Ho hum!

Edited: 05/12/2012 at 15:27
05/12/2012 at 16:22

It just takes a while to load the new pic after its been submitted ric - presumably someone is checking it is decent or something!

05/12/2012 at 16:50

Presumably that's why DT2 never had a picture of him running.

05/12/2012 at 16:59

05/12/2012 at 18:02

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/smallruncrop.jpg?width=350

This supposed to be in the box.

Bloody hell! I actually look like a runner in this one.

05/12/2012 at 20:38

Ric, if someone looking like that was behind me, I would put a Bloody shift on!! You look like a mixture of a criminal and Arnie!!

Went out for a run at lunch, vaguely thinking i'd do the 5x1/2miles at 10k. Got a mile in, the Ipod died, i could feel the hip a bit, and i had load of work on, with the boss in. So made sense to postpone! One of the few times in 2 1/2 years I've ever changed session mid way.

Quite fancied the track anyway, so went up there, and switched to 800s instead of 1/2m, with a resolve that I was going to thrash some 10k pace however things felt.

Came out alright, 2.36, 2.45, 2.44, 2.48,2.49

For a light session, was comfortably hard.

Had to make sure I wasn't going to run into a posse of casuals, with the hooded tops, gloves, scarfs etc, running the wrong way round the track. And also there were 3 bits of ice on each lap!! Therefore, the lap was 95% runnning, and 5% little jumps

Pleased with it, freezing cold, dodgy conditions, first time back on the track for ages, made me feel alive frankly, quite bliss!

I'll give sunday a go either way now. If race day magic fails me, and a DNF or DNS occurs so be it, but should be ok.

IronCat5    pirate
05/12/2012 at 21:49

Good session SG. Our track was very icy tonight, so we switched to 100s - the longest ice free stretch we could find.

13,881 to 13,900 of 24,128 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.