Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,221 to 14,240 of 25,156 messages
26/12/2012 at 22:06

Armargh is an invite only doo. Not for the likes of us. Yeah, all events are Po10 friendly, that seems a southern thing as I've not seen any non Po10 races up here bar 1! Didn't realise it's such a problem for you boys!

26/12/2012 at 22:15

To be fair, it's just that there are loads of races down this way that are put on by companies and groups rather than just serious running clubs.

I don't know if you northern boys just ignore those kind of races, or there are less about.

The simple way round the PO10 thing is to use the PO10 fixtures as a guide rather than the RW calendar.

A cheeky tactic I also use is tracking a few local fasties PO10 accounts, and checking what races they do...

Shame that Christelton doesn't coincide with a Prem footy game, that'd be an ideal double header! Fastest 5k in the NW!

Edited: 26/12/2012 at 22:21
27/12/2012 at 12:36

Good run with me old pal Johnas today, thanks for that! Impressed how you've become super into it all these days!

Was like old times. Tidy 8.5miler single run for today, bit of a hill, nice run.

27/12/2012 at 13:14

Stevie S - christleton isnt a net down.  if you are to beleive my garmin it is a steep 15ft net up   very fast course though ignoring the narrow start position

27/12/2012 at 13:19
My last decent run today before the ribble valley on Sunday. 7.6miles @ 6.50 pace. My legs felt a little heavy towards the end as I did a 4 mile fell race on Boxing Day called the Whinberry Naze Fell. 3 of us ran it in fancy dress as the 3 wise men, wigs, beards, robes (old curtains), carrying gifts, the job lot.

We agreed we'd just jog together for the laugh but just before half way I was getting itchy feet as we could still see the leaders so I decided to have a crack at trying to go as far through the field as I could.

Lost my crown, wig and beard kept blowing in my face, robes ended up back to front as I tried hurtling down the final descent and then I threw my gift (a wrapped up full pack of after eights) in to the crowd who were watching. The satisfaction of beating someone in a sprint finish while I was dressed in that and he was in club vest, the lot was great. Think I managed about tenth place or so.

We managed to win the fancy dress prize too which wasn't bad.
27/12/2012 at 14:05

Matt, thought you were going to say you won there for a sec! Made that poor chap feel pony, he'll have gone home thinking, i was beaten by some guy in a costume!

I lost to a guy dressed as a super hero in the 2008 version of the 5k I did on Wednesday!

Just seen this year's results out, I obviously can't count, as came 5th in the end not 6th! Clearly my brain didn't upgrade myself when i overtook someone mid race.

It's not always an exact science, but the times of the front runners show what kind of course it was...

Position    Race result     SB         PB          Details

• 1st            16.23            16.07    15.52
  • 3rd            16.53            16.40   16.01
  • 4th            17.20            17.20   16.54     Only 1 5k this year

2nd is only 2 years into his racing, and has only done this race, so left him out.

Looks like May's Charndon is the 5k to do then, that's where 1st and 3rd's pbs came from. 31 and 52 secs quicker!

Bus, what's Waddesdon 5k like? As the guy in 4th did his 16.54 time there...i thought that wasn;t a fast course?

Edited: 27/12/2012 at 14:06
27/12/2012 at 14:10

The Whinberry Naze Fell. 

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/wise.jpg?width=350

The winning team.

27/12/2012 at 14:53
Nice muddy, hilly off road with Philip today. Just shy of 10M. Waddesdon 5k is about a third steep downhill, then a third steep up, then the last third flat. Not a pb course, but a nice race.

Which wise man were you Matt?
27/12/2012 at 15:09

What do you need to do tomorrow Bus out of interest?

Not got my next 4 day outlook yet, but if possible we can get something sorted?

27/12/2012 at 15:09
None of the above. i can't seem to upload a pic from my iPad. I'm not the most computer savvy. I've got it saved in my images but can't seem to get I where I can cut and copy the URL. Anybody any ideas?
27/12/2012 at 15:11

Yep, shy of 10 with bus and at 20 miles so far already this week it is my biggest week since the end of October so best part of 2 months off means 4 months to get back to fitness.

27/12/2012 at 15:45
Cheers SG - great seeing and running with you. Just getting my energy together to get back out there for run #2 of the day.

Great story there Matt and totally reminded me of my favourite fancy dress running story by Ben Moreau from earlier this year. http://www.runningwithus.com/benmoreau/a-10km-win-with-a-difference/
27/12/2012 at 18:20
http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/photos/december_2012/whinberry_naze_dash/view/gallery_313807.Whinberry_Naze_Dash/
27/12/2012 at 18:40

Johnas, I read that story earlier in the year. Loved it! The geez in 3rd is not impressed is he?! Ha ha.

27/12/2012 at 19:04

Nice story...you have to be quality to get away with that. My old club all turned up in tutus and fairy wings at a cross country last year.

The guy who has run for Britain at half marathon got away with it, but I wonder what other runners made of the rest of them doing it...if i saw someone around my level mucking about with that stuff I'd bust a gut to smash them.

PC2
27/12/2012 at 20:04

Good to read about Xmas races, well done all. Odd training this week, since the XC on Sunday I've done two 5k training runs (24th 19.45, 25th 18.22 (it was raining, started off too quick and just kept it up!) and a two mile warm up/down in the gym today. Its all because I know theres no fitness to be gained for races next week, only injuries etc to cause.

Getting races confirmed for the new year - at least a few head to heads coming up

27/12/2012 at 22:42
Hi Stevie and others!

Stumbled across this thread a few weeks ago as was looking for inspiration on more structured workouts as i'm a bit of a novice when it comes to training!

A couple of questions to Stevie G that ran through my mind if you don't mind answering:

1. What significant changes did you make to your training?.

2. Did the changes improve your performance? I.e. is your improvement over the last 2 years better than that prior to making the changes?

Cheers,
Darren
28/12/2012 at 08:23

Howdy Darren.

Massive changes. 

From every run medium hard, and the rare speedwork basically being a doss about in an unstructured club session with random reps, lengths and recoveries, to a really structured plan with most runs slowed down, a regular long run added, and weekly tempo and speedwork calculated to my current fitness paces.

I was on an improvement curve, but was at the point where, just using 10k as an example, I thought a low 37 was my top end. To now knowing sub 35 should be very possible, and then some.

28/12/2012 at 12:12

Hi darren.

another example for you. my pb for a half marathon was 83.30 on limited training. Basically a few goes on a treadmill a week plus a 13m ran as fast as i could muster

I changed my training a year ago to 4miles 4 mornings a week ran much slower (7mm pace) a slow long run about 13miles @ 7.30pace plus 2 track sessions (tues & thurs) for speedwork where i would aim for 5.30 pace.

My HM pb dropped at the first attempt to 76.30 and again to 74.14 later in the yr.

In a nut shell i do more miles now but most of them slower than before. saving myself for the speedwork on the track. 

Edited: 28/12/2012 at 12:12
28/12/2012 at 12:14

10 miles off road yesterday, 11 miles road, 7:15 average today. Seem to have survived the 3.2 mile race ok.

Bumped into the guy who got me into running and we discussed the race. Only when he mentioned he'd have worn spikes did I realise he thought we were talking about the TVXC I'd done. 

14,221 to 14,240 of 25,156 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.