Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,261 to 14,280 of 25,141 messages
29/12/2012 at 11:32

a chap who ran the Boxing Day 5k I did told me that he'd run a marathon a few days earlier. And he wasn't exactly strolling, in the 18s

That's an interesting recovery strategy!

29/12/2012 at 11:32
Darren Russell wrote (see)

Anyone doing a marathon next year? Booked into Manchester a while ago but wondering if it's a benefit or hinderence to preferred shorter races!.

Doing an autumn one if things go well. Current plan is Newcastle which is BMAF marathon champs on OCt 27th, a week after Abingdon which is closer and faster. Looking at last year's champs, http://www.bvaf.org.uk/results/res2012/bmaf2012mar.htm, winner was 2:57 so nothing amazing.

Marathons do not make rules: last year I ran spring marathon, raced 8 days later, PBed all summer and autumn, no issues. Spritn marathon this year, spent summer and autumn and so far most of the winter out at 70-80% fitness and never hitting the target.

29/12/2012 at 11:45

Phil, is that British Masters, or is it 2 guys of 35-40 bringing their parents! Most of them are 60s and 70s!

And only 18 runners?! Must be blimming lonely all the way round!

Quite surprised you're thinking about another marathon Phil. Like you say you've been knacked for half a year really...must be traceable to a fair extent to the marathon, despite last year's luck with it.

I decided early on I didn't fancy marathons, through knowing a guy at my old club who all he'd chat about all year was "London". I'm doing London, I can't do the XCs as I'm doing London, I had a stomach ache which might affect London. etc etc etc.

But clearly it has to be like that as it's such an epic under taking....

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 11:48
29/12/2012 at 12:22

Interesting reading so many different views on the marathon.  My view is that the training is excellent for building stamina/endurance but the race does seem to take it out of you.  That said, I did the Manchester marathon in April and 3 weeks later equal pb'd at the Manchester 10k and felt great but then felt really fatigued in June and July. Don't know whether that was the effects of the marathon or somekind of underlying virus.  I know somebody has done the marathon for the last few years on the Sunday and then done a speed session on the Monday, then pb'd a week later!.  I guess it comes down to the individual and what how their body responds to the marathon.

Was pleased to pb in a 5k park run this morning which didn't expect at all due to: a diet consisting of crisps, booze and chocolate for the last week, running 10 miles late yesterday, the crap weather, an off road course with 3 short hills/steps and going off course at one point!.

Never can predict how a race will turn out!.

29/12/2012 at 12:34
Darren Russell wrote (see)

I know somebody has done the marathon for the last few years on the Sunday and then done a speed session on the Monday, then pb'd a week later!.  

Honestly wouldn't know whether to shake their hand or slap them repeatedly with a wet fish.

That is just plain ridiculous

29/12/2012 at 12:45
Yep, not something I would consider!
29/12/2012 at 12:49

ps nice work on the pb, and at a park run too..great effort.

29/12/2012 at 13:09
Marathon recoveries vary. A crazy guy in our club paces 3 hours about 4 times a year. The week of dublin marathon he ran sub 3 monday, won a 10k thursday night, won the local parkrun on saturday and did 3 and a half hours of running in mountains on the sunday. Crazy.

My view on the marathon is concentrate on the shorter stuff first and toughen the body while doing it then move up to the marathon.
29/12/2012 at 13:11
He won't give up the football though. Trains midweek and plays on the Saturday. Before I joined the club and got to know him I pipped him in a sprint finish in the local parkrun. He ran 17.13 but said he had nothing left in the sprint. Two days later he ran Cork marathon in 2.47 (on a Monday for some reason) . :-/
29/12/2012 at 13:24

don't think a 5k 2 days before a marathon is much of a problem.

but the other way round, or any fast a day or 2 after should be, and would be for most

29/12/2012 at 14:54

Remarkable though the output and strain some athletes are capable of. There's another view. Sure, with multiple marathons per week or smashing a 2:40 the day after a game of rugby, they are demonstrating ability. But to what ends? 

I've come across these bullet proof athletes before. Those that realise their talent in time, and how to use it, can go on to become internationals. The rest carry on smashing out every race that pops up in front of them without a notable peak performance among them.

The times they can knock out in races off just basic fitness probably pisses off as many 'thinking' runners as they impress.

As such, the performance is relative. For instance, my easy off road recovery pace is faster than the majority can race even a 5k. Its not fast, but faster than them, so to them its fast.

2:40 marathons to us around here are fast. To an international its a broken leg.

Indeed, Its possible to be both impressive and a wasted talent at the same time.

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 14:54
29/12/2012 at 17:53

Nice 14 miler today @ 7:25 pace. Felt very fatigued in the last 2 miles but that was to be expected after a 3 week lay off. This week has had 2 rest days and 42 miles which is good.

Ric, good points about the relative talent and the possible 'waste' of talent some runners show. At a local level there is a young runner who missed out on winning the local XC league to go to a tin pot race and win by 4 mins over 10k, all for a £40 prize. He also misses high quality meetings in favour of racing everything and anything. Deano might know who I'm on about! There are also plenty of 'elite' guys who do this, just race too much and therefore they don't noticeably peak.

29/12/2012 at 18:23

Stevie, how many races did you do in 2012? Remind the class?

Actually save that info...it's one of the end of year summary points...all to be revealed tomorrow!

29/12/2012 at 19:03

Not as many as 2011! I don't think my racing cost me a league XC title or anything like that! My 2013 race schedule looks very bare

29/12/2012 at 19:16
SS yep I know who your are talking about...he did a sub 70 in his first hm at only 20 years old and has the honour of the only person to have beaten me in a track race in over 20 years. He has really kicked on so why he chases Mickey Mouse races for pennies is beyond me
29/12/2012 at 19:29

just kidding SS-meister!  

Sub 70mins at 20? Frig me. Oh well..he didn't enjoy playing footy for years like some of us, at school the kids who ran couldn't play

Phil..if you're dotting around...fancy joining me for a leisurely shorter sunday run tomorrow?  Early obviously, but hey...it's not supposed to be fun.

29/12/2012 at 19:41

Ss, Some runners have no concept of class. They think any race they win is proof of their magnificence, even if the opposition happens to made up kids, geriatrics and women with pushchairs.

Years back there was one of these deviants in my second claim club. He took on the above opposition in a fun run and crossed the line as if he'd won the Olympics.

This fun run was connected to a real race; a hilly 10k, and only after this guy had finished did the rest of us realise we were all wearing the same club vests as he was.

Never were so many vests removed and hidden from view so quickly. Lest anyone thought he had any associations with us.

The impact this victory had on members of our club was summed up in stunning fashion by a quite elderly lady member who remarked that she thought he was a 'complete pr..k!'.

29/12/2012 at 20:02

Ric, wow, I've experienced the "Other" side of the coin on a pretty similar scenario!

Mine wasn't a fun run, but it was a 5k on the day of a 10k at some MT event. I was in a period of doing loads of 5ks at the time, and couldn't be fussed with doing the 10k for the 3rd time.

Won it, but didn't act Big time. Thought it would get the usual level of well dones from the club, that top 5 top 10 in other races would get.

Instead, got scorn from the chairman, and another chap (the one who got me kicked out of the 10k this summer). And this was a club who only ever won the occasional FV60 prize....in races with just one FV60 in!

More surprisingly, the local "Nice guy" winner of the 10k, poured abuse out all night on twitter, everything from me "being scared", to doing a slow time, to costing some 15 year old his deserved win! Shocking, from a chap who is notorious for obscure race pot hunts!

Whole thing left me quite gutted, and wished I'd just done the 10k, and come 6th or whatever!

Definitely one for the rage locker for those times in training you need some fire!

Edited: 29/12/2012 at 20:17
29/12/2012 at 20:43

Good to see u running again Stevie see. Sure you'll be back to your best soon.

Interesting views on marathons. Personally I'm a fan of marathons but my real passion is Comrades. Maybe it's because I've run a few Comrades and plenty of 50km plus runs in training that I find I can return to training soon after a marathon. My next marathon is Gloucester in 3 weeks time.

10 miles at 5:58 pace today. Was meant to be an MP run but thought I would see how much it would stress the body to run at sub 6 pace. 

29/12/2012 at 21:07

SG, those guys appear to have a bit of a problem with something. Occasionally you get one guy who hasn't been taking his medication, but three!

I wouldn't totally pour scorn on the lesser distance at a double stacked event. It can be a useful workout and a way of getting your money back should no-one else turn up.

I'll never forget a fun run in Chesham where one of our number nipped around and just managed to win despite some of us; not me, taunting him about being a wimp or something. For his pains he received a voucher worth £30. What!!!

The following year this race had become strangely competitive, it even had an international taking part. The prize this time was a small plastic plaque. Wheyhey!

I'm lucky that I've been spared too many mix ups with prizes and the like. Easy when your default position is losing.

I was once the lucky recipient of a share of a rather hefty team prize. Unbeknown to me, the organiser of a race had spotted my name in the results and had retrospectively made me part of a team.  I guess it was his race and he could do what he liked with it. 

14,261 to 14,280 of 25,141 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.