Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,341 to 14,360 of 26,762 messages
01/01/2013 at 21:37

First run of 2013 done. Nice little 7.5 mile doozy  Went out with the thought of "see how long it takes for my hangover to catch up with me"... It took about 400 meters  After mile 3 got going and had a nice feel good run. Feel like death now like!

Speaking of marathons, I think I'm gonna' give one a go in 2014. Maybe...

01/01/2013 at 21:50
SG a sub 75 is good for 2 years to qualify
SS good stuff getting out, I couldn't face a run today
Edited: 01/01/2013 at 21:53
01/01/2013 at 21:54

Stevie, you're waiting for someone to talk you out of it aren't you son.

Well, it won't come from me...although I'd be cautious, as seemingly everyone on this thread who attempted one last year bar DT2 who is a machine, seemed to have some kind of niggle after, with a couple pretty much ending their racing years

Dean, interesting to know.

I think a sub 1hr 15 for a half makes you a quality runner in anyone's book. It's probably my "career" ambition for that distance, although I'd probably loosen it a bit by saying a 1:15:xx

01/01/2013 at 21:55

Hold on, hold on what's all this? First day of 2013 and all the chat is about planning marathons in 2014 . Calm down, calm down....

Hangovers eh? I remember them! 

01/01/2013 at 21:58

ps - Matt. That is a seriously impressive start to your racing career! Not sure which I'm most impressed with - the sub 34 10k or the 8th place in the Tour of Pendle!

01/01/2013 at 22:04

Another high achiever Crispy smashed it today I hear at 10k....I'm sure he'll be on at some stage soon to reveal all

01/01/2013 at 22:36
Happy New Year all! Some great reviews of 2012... Looking forward to sharing a memorable 2013 with you and hopefully, for all the right reasons!

No rest for the wicked here today. Nice easy 6 this morning and a solid track session this evening: 6mins threshold @ 5.44 pace followed by 4x 800m//60sec recovery/400m with 2min recoveries between sets.

Happy with 2.41/76, 2.39/77, 2.39/76, 2.41/76. If you believe in the Yasso 800 theory, my VLM target is looking achievable
01/01/2013 at 22:39
Dean - I went to the same school as Marc although he was a couple of years younger. He sometimes does a local race when he's back locally and usually wins. He makes it look effortless. He won the 5km when I ran my PB.

Thanks Bus, have you done the Tour before? I really enjoyed it in a sadistic sort of way.

SG - runners trots seems to plague my training runs, especially when I'm running hard. Thankfully it's only happened on one race up to now. I spend more time worrying about that than whether I'm going to run well.
01/01/2013 at 22:41

Cracking session Johnas! The threshold run for 6mins... any reason why it's 6 mins long? Just seems an odd number.

01/01/2013 at 22:54
Cheers SS - i dont really know but i assume its because it equates to a minimum of a mile rep as my threshold pace is in the pace zone of 5.52 - 6.06.

I tend to sandwich speed or hill sessions with either 6 or 10 mins threshold running or another favourite is 5x 6mins with 60 sec recoveries.
Edited: 01/01/2013 at 22:59
02/01/2013 at 10:23

Johnas, that session makes my hip ache looking at it! Or maybe it was yesterday's session causing that!

Matt, now that's something I can probbaly help you with, as for a couple of years I had that on and off. At various times cut/changed when I ate fruit/ham/pasta/lucozade etc and still it went on.

For me, turned out that skimmed milk regular drinking was the killer...

It's likely some of the below will see you right

• no food 3hours before a hard session or race
  • no fruit hours and hours before, with exception of banana which is a different thing entirely it seems
  • cut down on dairy, remember that skimmed milk for instance counts as food
  • energy drinks can cause it
  • heavy food such as 2 helpings of beans the night before
  • drink a hot water at the start of the 3hour period before a run/race to help things along

Weetabix and toast 3hours before a race has never caused me a problem on race day. And generally weetabix 1hour before a 12-16miler is fine on sunday morning too, with a nice hot water drink to flush things!

02/01/2013 at 10:25

ps Johnas, yesterday was one of my rare "time" based tempos rather than mileage. Quite enjoyed it, as you can watch that 10mins ticking down on the HMP sessions and know you're not far off surviving!

right, off for an 8miler, which won't be easy, as the hip feels tight, and bizarrely the top of my chest feels achey too, ike that feelijng you get when you've gone swimming for the first time in a year and use different muscles  Still, get through this, and 1 1/2 days rest.

02/01/2013 at 10:59
It must be the milk as I usually have a pint of it daily on my cereal. I've read that too much fibre is also not a good idea. When I'm racing I ditch the cereal and usually have porridge. I'm a cereal addict so cutting that out would be a bit difficult.

Being a contractor I suppose its better than having a greasy breakfast everyday.
02/01/2013 at 11:00

fibre will make you unleash for sure, but depends what cereal we're talking. Weetabix, as above i find fine, but if you're talking Bran Flakes, you might as well take a nappy with you

02/01/2013 at 12:55

To lower the tone even further guys, I had gut problems so regular once that I actually practised sorting things out for racing purposes. 

My record for a stop, drop and restart was 14 seconds during a 10 mile road race in which my finish time was 60:01!

Ran 7 miles off road this morning. Mileage is going to take a hit for a while as I'm doing some serious cross training. Details sketchy but the non running bit involve intervals on the bike on the toughest setting. 

02/01/2013 at 13:14

Urgh... cross training! I'm off for a longer than normal mid-week second long run (12-14 miles). While I'm off work I'm going to find a Welsh forest to run around.

02/01/2013 at 13:48

nice pit stop action Ric!

AH Stevie, you make my "proper job" long break til 8th Jan seem short!

8miles today, hip felt weak but not too bad I suppose. Probably due to both that cracker yesterday, and doing longer runs rather than singles recently.

Certainly better than last night;s 3miler tho. that was sheer crunk.

Have about 5 stretching/strengthening sessions and 2 sleeps before the next run, so hopefully will be back in sync soon!

02/01/2013 at 14:46

After yesterday's session you'd probably have been better off with a rest day SG!

Good session yesterday Johnas - hat's off!

Swim at lunch, biking to work and swiss ball for me today with no run. Got a shock this morning  - weighed myself for the first time since early December . Trouble is, I've built up an appetite for cakes, chocolates and alcohol that is going to be hard to suppress!

Matt - not done T of P (on the list for one day though!)

02/01/2013 at 17:20

Well my long run turned into 7 miles as the Welsh weather closed in on me, and a 2nd 7 mile lap with darkness looming in a Welsh wood, covered in clouds didn't seem sensible. Felt shocking to be fair, but will head out for a flat 5-7 later. First mile was 8:50 up hill and mile 2 wasn't much better, began to wonder what I was playing at! Luckily the middle miles were downhill and got the run going for real. 7:49 average in the end.  

02/01/2013 at 18:15

take it you're on holiday in Wales then Stevie! Or are you close enough to Wales to just sneak over for a run!?

That first hill sounds steep. I often start a run with an even more bizarre first mile, that mixes mud, hill, brambles to duck etc, and usually takes 9.30. Often I reset the watch as it'll claim it's a mere 0.8miles, when I know it has to be the full mile!

Odd day today. The late wake up, the 8miler miday, sleeping, not speaking to a soul. It'd probably be a disaster if i ever went full time runner via a lottery win (that I don't even play) or something,  as I'd become an utter recluse with no idea of what's going on!

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 18:15
14,341 to 14,360 of 26,762 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.