Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,361 to 14,380 of 26,696 messages
02/01/2013 at 19:17

i notice our own PC2, is currently 8th in the country for 10k this year

PC2
02/01/2013 at 19:34
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Darren, sort out the drinkins please son, we're all tee totallers who live monks in these parts...or is that just me

Its only you

Stevie G . wrote (see)

i notice our own PC2, is currently 8th in the country for 10k this year

I was refreshing Po10 today in anticipation...
I'll get to some details in a bit...

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 19:34
02/01/2013 at 20:01

Tee totallers!

Can't remember the last time I didn't have a drink

Hospital I think, about the middle of 2007

02/01/2013 at 21:42

Second 7 miler done at 7:05 pace. Bit quick but hey ho, dropped 2 MP miles at the end to get my legs spinning a bit quicker.

IronCat5    pirate
02/01/2013 at 21:47

Booze locked up until February. Though there is the little matter of this weekend in Cardiff.... Just the sausage rolls and mince pies to finish off now.

Looks like a good start to the year all round!

Tonight was tri club track session 4 x (800m@10k pace, 200m@5k pace, 200m RI). So of course we blasted the lot, ran at my Furman FIRST paces, or thereabouts:

3:05 + 0:38, 3:17 + 0:45, 3:15 + 0:43, 3:19 + 0:42

I've suffered with GI issues in the past. I have learnt to have porridge early before XC or a morning race at least 2 hours before. For something like a 5km I won't have breakfast. This seems to keep me happy. I have noticed of late that whilst I can eat the buffet directly after an XC, it causes me pain for most of the day. I guess it's a function of speeding up.

02/01/2013 at 23:21

not had time for a full read through but will do tomorrow. hope everyone had a good new year.

Totals

• 1852 Miles
  •  32 Races run
  • Distances Raced: 800, 1500, 2k & 3k Steeple, 5000, 10000, 5m,6m, 10k, 10M. XC, sprint Tri
  • PBs, 5M, 6M, 5000, 10k

Top 3 Personal running Highlights of Year

• Lads Leap Fell Race English Champs  – Just insane, real eye-opener, great to meet Bus
  • 10M Cabbage Patch – First Road race over 10k distance, Really happy with 58:18.
  • Birmingham League Div 1 Races – quality field, quality races, years training paying off.

Top 3 Disappointments of the Year

• Milton Keynes 10K – Some type of burnout -  too many races, end of my summer road racing
  • Telford 10k DNF – First DNF ever, missed out on Sub 35 which was a 2012 target
  • Not mastering Road cycling – fell off hospitalising myself.

Thread Members

• Best thread race performance

NOT PICKING ONE!

Dean’s 10k @ Telford, a stellar performance really flying and a cracking end to the year

Phil’s VLM, destroying the young crowd coupled with outstanding pacing

SG’s Cabbage Patch 10M run, big improvement after years of training, great to see the miles and dedication paying off.

• 2012 Thread poster of the year

Hmm not sure, probably BUS, everyone contributes in different ways, but Bus posts regularly with great encouragement of others through good and bad times.

• 2013 One to Watch

Very interested to see Deans progress, the race time drops from 2011 to 2012 are Insane to put it mildy.

Race Results

• 5000m, 17:44 – 16:44
  • 10k, 39:19 - 35:37
  • 5M, 29:20 – 28:45
  • 6M, 36:32 – 34:51

2013 Aims

2500miles

PB at every distance I race including:

Sub 34 @ 10k/10000m

Sub 27:30 @ 5M

Sub 16 @ 5000m

Sub 57 @ 10m

Stepping up to half marathon Distance

More Fell running, less road running

Even though I’ve written time aims for race distances down, I’d like to think I’m not too fussed about these for 2013. I’m hoping the year will bring strength and endurance gains along with good performances in off road racing which I’ll be focusing on. I aim to run lots of easy miles and do much more strength training & long runs, exploring Lydiard’s approach to running training whilst still playing with Daniels running formula training methods.

Post more on the thread. Im useless and often absent for days/weeks.

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 23:21
03/01/2013 at 00:55

Numbers:

1,669.60 miles, less than last year, was on target for more.
Many races, 29 on po10, probably another 20 not on po10 so shy of 50
Distances, 3000m, 3000m s/c, 5000m, 5k, 5miles, 10k, half, 20 miles, marathon, cross country, odd relays and handicaps etc
PBs: steeplechase, 5 mile, half, full

3 personal highlights of the year

Half marathon sub 80 at Wokingham
2:50:28 full at London
Black Park parkrun win (350 runners)

3 disappointments

29:20 at Marlow 5: needed sub 29
Only once went sub 18 for 5k or 5000m
Missing big chunks with injury

Race times

All on po10: http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=75021

Thread members

Best thread race: DT2 at Amsterdam. I saw him after London and he was down in the face with 2:39 and Amsterdam was just rewards for a year's hard training.
Poster of the year: LuvsaPB for the honesty of his training and the inevitable outcome of such.
2013 one to watch: just about anyone, DT2, UG, dachs, Dean, Stevie, our own SG, all putting in PBs time after time.

Aims for 2013:

as many 80% + WAVA

5k 18:00
 5m 29:46
10k 37:28
10m 61:28
HM 81:37
20m 2:07:20
Mar 2:49:48

Enjoy a few more races.

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 00:57
03/01/2013 at 09:44

Aw, shucks - thanks Seb

Some very tough targets there (even tougher to hit if you are focussing on off-road) but doable I reckon with enough focus and effort.

Posting at 00:55 Philip? Sleepless night?

VERY muddy off-road to station this morning. felt sluggish and slow - no doubt not hlped by the post Christmas bulk!! That's one of the cruel things about Cliveden XC - one of the hilliest races of the year (fell races aside) but at a time of year that always involves lugging a load of excess weight up the hills! 

Who's doing tadley or bracknell forest this month then? I might be on for one of those as a guest (if I might be so bold!)

03/01/2013 at 10:18
The Bus wrote (see)
Posting at 00:55 Philip? Sleepless night?

No, f**king stupid yanks who can't organise a piss up in a brewery need to have heads banged together so I am out in New York for emergency meetings with the Department of Defence about that matter we chatted about on our muddy run.

The Bus wrote (see)

Who's doing tadley or bracknell forest this month then? I might be on for one of those as a guest (if I might be so bold!)

I am hoping to run Tadley (you are welcome as a guest if you promsie not to beat me ) but back in the USA for Bracknell.

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 10:18
03/01/2013 at 10:35

Ah, that explains it! And there was me getting worked up about having to go on a course in Bristol at the end of the month!

Can't promise that Philip - I still need to get one back for Bracknell last year (oh and the County champs!). Could well be on for Tadley, if I can work out how to fit in a long run early next week, as my main focus has to be Wokingham (just 5 weeks away now....)

03/01/2013 at 11:19

Seb, big aims for this year! With an injury free year though, who knows! I must have missed that 16.44 track 5k. Must feel odd smashing round a track for 12 1/2 laps!

Phil, good review also. You enjoy your racing more than anyone on here. Highest total of distanced races and total of races!

Am in for Tadley as we speak, baring this hip tweak being no more than a tweak. It was meant to be the 6th to start with, and was annoying they'd put it back to the 13th,but now am glad!

Bracknell is pencilled in. But with Chichester and Wokingham rolling into sight very soon, may be simply binned off.

Phil, you mention Luvsa, we've missed him on here for what must be 3months or so now...have you seen him elsewhere?

Luvsa, say hello if you're reading!

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 11:21
03/01/2013 at 14:41

That makes 3 times his name has been mentioned, so he's bound to appear by the rules of the thread!

I'm thinkink that doing both Tadley and Bracknell would be too much disruption for Wokingham. Seeing as Philip is in USA and you are doubtful for Bracknell, what's Tadley like?

03/01/2013 at 17:18

A nice 11 miles today out with a mate, few hills to keep it interesting. Rest day before long run Saturday!

I've spotted the inter counties fell race champs are on my birthday. The course is short and the accent looks not to be too excessive, so might give it a go!

03/01/2013 at 18:14

See man, nice run!  I just oafed around on a rest day, mixture of hip rehab, and wondering why my chest feels achy, when I haven't done anything weights or swimming related (the other times this has happened!)

Bus, Tadley is an epic course. Probably the best of the bunch.

5.3miles long, 1/2mile tarmac road to start you off, then a couple of glorious forestry miles on the slight undulation.

The middle is tricky, a couple of water jumps!  What makes it tricky is the 1metre or so to jump. Sounds nothing, but the first one especially kind of comes at you from a tight angle, so you can't build up momentum.

Throw in someone quite close in front and it really is a tricky decision of what to do. Used to be worse as pre about 3 years ago, they had this section earlier, so you'd often have bottlenecks!

You basically choose whether to take a massive jump and clear the lot, aim for something mid/mud at the edge, or wade the heck through.

Having usually waded through at least one of the jumps over the last few years I can't quite explain how cold and heavy your feet feel after!

Last year I got the jump in well, but the mud was so heavy the other side it sucked a shoe off. The adrenaline of trying to get my foot back into a tight fitting laces done up shoe and not lose more than 5-10secs can't be explained!!

After the last jump, you have a couple of ups and downs, and then you have a really gruelling stretch. Basically a hilly ploughed field, that you can see as far as the naked eye goes. You can see most people in front of you!

I had a bit of a breakthrough on this ending part years back, as I remember finding a bizarre strength and motoring through the field at this stage, taking loads of positions.

You do have some glory of seeing everyone miles behind you as you end the field though!  1/4 mile back to the tarmac, and then what seems to be the longest ending section in the history of XC races, where you seem to spend forever on the tarmac road that set you off....and then finalglory on finishing!

If you've timed it well you don't have some angry super hungry fool behind you determined to beat someone at the finish!

ps if anyone wants the more detailed version let me know

just seen an email flash up of the XC series organising head honchos....a guy asking if the league has a policy on running with dogs

Yes, don't be so bloody stupid, it's a race!

Edited: 03/01/2013 at 18:35
03/01/2013 at 21:08
Nice run Stevie. You're clocking some mileage there. First track session since before Christmas for me and the first since Sundays race. I went with the plan of taking it steady due to Sundays race and having a club championship xc race on Saturday.

That all seemed to go out of the window as we did 10 x 400 off 45 secs rec. Alternated the lead with another fella again and ran consistent 72/73 with one 70 thrown in. Might just have a short plod tomorrow and hopefully have a good run on sat. Just finishing will be an improvement on last time.
03/01/2013 at 21:09
Meant to be first meaningful run since Sundays race.
03/01/2013 at 21:14
Matt -fast session on low recs. nice work. Haven't done any speed work for 3 weeks so its going to hurt getting back into it
03/01/2013 at 21:21
Unfortunately I don't get to set the recoveries or they'd be a lot longer. I really look forward to the track sessions each week but the half hour before I leave my house I always have to persuade myself to get out and go as I know they're going to hurt. Never regretted going yet though.
03/01/2013 at 22:54
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Poster of the year: LuvsaPB for the honesty of his training and the inevitable outcome of such.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

He He Phil!  Just loved that comment

Stevie G . wrote (see)

Phil, you mention Luvsa, we've missed him on here for what must be 3months or so now...have you seen him elsewhere?

Luvsa, say hello if you're reading!

Stories of my passing have been greatly exaggerated!

I've deliberately stayed away from all RW forums because they just encourage me to train to destruction.

Not much training done in Sept, Oct & Nov, but back with sensible enthusiasm since beginning of Dec.  Have managed a couple of 70 mile weeks without crashing.  A bit of speed work to come & hopefully I'll be half decent at VLM in April.

Just scraped in for Wokingham half next month, so will hopefully catch up with SG, Bus, Phil, Dachs, Ric & any other threadsters I haven't yet had the pleasure of.

2012 mileage came out at 1824.06. Down from 2011 which was 2395.28. An unremarkable year for race times with no PBs. Most unforgettable memory was probably doing Milton Keynes mara on what felt like the wettest day in history. My involuntary hypothermic dance while waiting for baggage is probably on youtube somewhere

Aims for 2013:-{Written in capitals in my running journal}

TO TRAIN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE AVOIDING INJURY LAYOFFS!

A great, progressive training thread as always. Just a bit out of my league 

04/01/2013 at 09:08

Good to hear from you Luvsa, hope the niggles stay away for 2013! Think it might have been Wokingham I last saw you...long time.

After the comment about dogs yesterday, was surprised to see a lady had run 15.48 at Newbury park run, using a bizarre system of 2 huskies, and a harness on her body, that basically haul her along! She does 17.30 upwards otherwise.

However, the long and short of it seems to be she asked for the Power of 10 folks to use a new marking of 5KXC or something which apparently means canine assisted or something...

so that's alright then

14,361 to 14,380 of 26,696 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.