Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,381 to 14,400 of 27,352 messages
04/01/2013 at 12:53

8x300s today, pretty much 53/54s with 1x51. Hip withstood it fine, so is probably just something to monitor and tediously strengthen day in day out..forever

04/01/2013 at 14:04

Bus, what's Lads Leap like? Spotted it's in a months times, I want to have a go at some real fell races this year.

04/01/2013 at 14:25

Stevie, you're still expected to keep your pbing behaviour going, even with this diversion talk of marathons and fell races!

What makes something a fell race rather than just being blooming hilly by the way?

04/01/2013 at 14:28

Hello Luvsa - welcome back!

Lad's Leap is a good race Stevie. Bit of everything really - long, steep uphills, long steep downhills, fence leaping and peat-bog monsters to swallow you whole! Navigation could be an issue in the clag if numbers are down (though I seem to recall it was at least partly marked). Last year it was a champs race and there was a large number of runners in a long line to follow!  Here's the garmin trace, and I've got an OS map of the route somewhere if you want it.

http://connect.garmin.com/activity/159185248

Very similar session to Matt's for me today (except, much slower, far less intervals and longer recovery ).  As I'm racing Sunday, kept it relatively easy with a 3M warm up then 6 x 0.25M off 60 secs in 1:17, 1:17, 1:19, 1:17, 1:16, 1:16. All on a very slight downhill or flat except one which was in reverse and slightly uphill (guess which one!). Pleased with that as it seems my extra bulk hasn't slowed my base speed down too much - we'll see if that's the case racing over 10 hilly ks though!

04/01/2013 at 14:40

Cheers Bus, I've been looking at fell races for the past hour. But like you mentioned, I'm very worried about navigation. Found a youtube 'English Fell Championships Trailer 2012' (it was actually a review not trailer) but the races/locations looked amazing.

04/01/2013 at 14:41

is that Cliveden Bus? Feels odd seeing that well past Christmas doesn't it? Although never done it at any time myself!

That garmin trace looks mental. almost an hour for 6miles!

I suppose that makes that Bradenham 10k we did that time look flat in comparison? That was a 2 lapper in fairness, just to add an element of soul destroying-ness!

04/01/2013 at 14:50
Stevie G . wrote (see)

a guy asking if the league has a policy on running with dogs

Yes, don't be so bloody stupid, it's a race!

Stevie G . wrote (see)

After the comment about dogs yesterday, was surprised to see a lady had run 15.48 at Newbury park run, using a bizarre system of 2 huskies, and a harness on her body, that basically haul her along! She does 17.30 upwards otherwise.

However, the long and short of it seems to be she asked for the Power of 10 folks to use a new marking of 5KXC or something which apparently means canine assisted or something...

so that's alright then

Two very different issues above:

1) X-C is a head to head race and so obviously no dogs allowed.
2) parkrun is not a race and is a timed event and dog (it was dogs but now limited to one) is allowed. They have had the CX designation for ages (cani-cross) and they list them as such so
http://www.thepowerof10.info/results/results.aspx?meetingid=75575
lists them as two races. No different to all the other categories e.g. wheelchair athletes.

The way I look at it is that it is no different to a lot of other categories. We are used to the open mens race being the overall winner as well but for ages the women have had to get used to finishing down the open race but winning their category, so now if you have a race with dogs then it is possible the mens open race winner is not first over the line.

BTW, she will whip your ass over 100km: she has a GB vest same as UG.

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 14:50
04/01/2013 at 15:02

So what you're saying is don't race her with huskies or over ridiculous distances

And what's all this parkrun isn't a race business?

A format with finishing positions, a designated mass start, people recording results, and issuing them in order sounds like a race to me.

Is the whole isn't a race business some sort of tweaking round rules that would mean paying out more money otherwise? Genuinely interested.

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 15:10
04/01/2013 at 15:10

parkrun isn't a race, on their homepage: http://www.parkrun.org.uk/

parkrun organise free, weekly, 5km timed runs around the world. They are open to everyone, free, and are safe and easy to take part in.

The runs are timed, so their is an order, and there is a first finisher (listed on http://www.parkrun.org.uk/results/firstfinishers/ and that URL has changed as it used to be winners), but it isn't a race. I know a lot of people who do race and treeat it as such, but that is not the philosophy.

04/01/2013 at 15:18

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

parkrun isn't a race,

. I know a lot of people who do race and treeat it as such, but that is not the philosophy.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

personal highlights of the year

Black Park parkrun win (350 runners)

It was a race that day though, right?

I'm just joshing. I used to make a run upto a lampost into a race I was so competitive.

So i struggle to see how a mass bunch of runners, all setting off at the same time, running over a measured course, with detailed results isn't a race, whatever the "philosophy" is.

Appreciate the idea is inclusion rather than competition, but if it wasn't in the slightest competiitve you wouldn't bother with times, or even starting at the same time.

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 15:26
04/01/2013 at 15:26

some splitting of hairs by parkrun me thinks....they also have on thier website a list of sub 17 finishers and course records....which indicates recognition for speed and perhaps therefore it is considered a race

although i understand and agree that their marketing/philosophy is they would rather have a mass event of getting people off their backside and plodding (who might not normally be confident enough to enter a competitive race) rather than an elite speedster race.  And quite right too!

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 15:29
04/01/2013 at 15:31

Is there something more political to the "not a race" business? or is is simply inclusion over competition?

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 15:35
04/01/2013 at 15:37

They are starting a Delamere Forest one soon! That should be a cracker, 10mins from home, nice undulating forest trails. Perfect Saturday workout.

04/01/2013 at 15:42

how would you factor it in though Stevie?  would it become instead of a tempo or track stuff? Would it be a 3rd quality session of the week, or would you treat it as a race?

i'd struggle to turn up and just do MP or so, as typically there'd be some big rival, and before you knew it it'd be a massive unnecessary face off

04/01/2013 at 15:43

SG -probably both....what costs are there you have to incure to put on a race that they are avoiding? 

the results are on Po10 so its offically measured (at cost)

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 15:44
04/01/2013 at 15:49

I suppose my beef is that when I eventually do one of the certified fast ones, having failed to find a road 5k anywhere, I don't want any stick on here that it wasn't a race

04/01/2013 at 15:51

i have only run 3 parkruns and ran 5miles there and 5 back for each one which helps you treat it different 

i did mine as a tempo to hit 6mm pace.  i still tried to overtake and win but if i was getting beat by a rival who was off at 5.30 pace i would let them be... i wasnt prepared to go too far under the planned pace.  Im not so bothered by getting beat in some races as long as they show up in the races i am taking seriously... the natural order will be corrected

Edited: 04/01/2013 at 15:52
IronCat5    pirate
04/01/2013 at 15:56
I guess parkruns are politically similar to cyclosportives and TTs. Certainly the sportives are not races, despite issuing timing chips and results. TTs are just plain bizzare, but I do like them.
04/01/2013 at 16:35

You see, dean I'd be cheesed at losing one rep to someone slower at my old club , even if they'd only run half the distance!

I can still remember the outrage at being just beaten in a 50metre sprint, but a guy who must have only run 400metres of the 1k rep!

04/01/2013 at 16:49

Parkruns are not "races" as this gets round the insurance issue. if they were, you'd have to pay to enter. But they are though....

Cyclosportives are also not "races", as you need a whole pile of official permissions to "race" on public roads plus extra insurance.

Stevie G . wrote (see)

is that Cliveden Bus? Feels odd seeing that well past Christmas doesn't it? Although never done it at any time myself!

That garmin trace looks mental. almost an hour for 6miles!

I suppose that makes that Bradenham 10k we did that time look flat in comparison? That was a 2 lapper in fairness, just to add an element of soul destroying-ness!

Yep - Cliveden is slightly later than normal as the NT now open the grounds to the public between Christmas and New Year. It does kinda spoil the seasonal atmosphere I guess.  Hey 57 mins please! Mind you if you think nearly 1 hour for 6M is slow (Seb was 4 mins quicker and the record is 41mins), how about my 4 and a half hours for the 17 miles of Borrowdale?!

Just noticed Stevie that Lad's Leap is much earlier in the year, so bad weather is likely to be a factor.

14,381 to 14,400 of 27,352 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.