Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,461 to 14,480 of 27,499 messages
06/01/2013 at 17:51

Hi Dachs, welcome back. I have a feeling you are going to make some big improvements this year.

Interesting hill session, especially how you described it. 

I had my lad check to see if it was listed in some book he came across in NZ.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/493151/gallery/bastards5.png?width=350

PC2
06/01/2013 at 18:05

You're right Dean, just a very understanding fiance - I'm making the most of it!
Raced 37 times last year (including some days of 2 or 3 track races) and I've got a lot more lined up over the next two months (7 I think). I've always had a habit of racing myself fit rather than proper training!

06/01/2013 at 18:24

Ahh, thanks Dachs  glad your back! Very good read too. I think all our year end summaries beat that Great Big Quiz of the Year non-sense hands down!!  

Ric - cross-posted earlier and missed the pic - that was the pre-christmas annual loin cloth race just after a case of norovirus!!

06/01/2013 at 18:57
PC2 wrote (see)

SG - I was keen to get it on, just didnt have the access!

My first reaction on reading this, was I've been there son. Then I realised you were talking about running and getting your report on line

Bus, if I have to come round and give a speech to your wife about how important it is that you do Chichester, and how important it is to your development and family's future happiness, I'll do it.

As long as you remember the sacred oath that we share between us, that if we both go to a race, and don't hit the target times, it was the worst conditions ever

Phil, we'll let you off  this once. A good race trip needs at least one of you or Bus at I think.

Dachs, I was actually thinking about where your report was on my long run. I'd slightly slipped into euphoria and had stumbled on the word "marvellous" to describe PC2S 10K, and I knew your review wouldn't let us down either.

It is glorious writing what we'll achieve in 2013...only problem is now we're nicely into 2013 we have to start backing it up.

Reminds me of a Marlow intervals session, where the first rep was done on a kind of handicap, where you'd sprint off for 90secs or so. Being keen/stupid, I'd smash off and end up miles away. Then of course the next rep was having to get past back to the start first, beating the cynical oldie who'd only moved about 8yards

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 19:00
06/01/2013 at 19:23
A really slow 13.3 for me this morning with a group from the club. Nice to be done and dusted before dinner time. (Dinner is at midday and tea time is your evening meal where I'm from. None of this lunch at midday for me)

Speaking of understanding wives, I must admit I'm wondering how my training and racing etc will pan out when my first child arrives in May. For those with kids, did it affect your training massively? I always prefer to train after work so I'm hoping its not going to have a major impact on it.

I might be running around with my eyes half closed mind you.
06/01/2013 at 19:30

Matt...ive no direct experience, but it depends if your wife will be happy to be stuck with a kid all day, and then see you get home and swan off for a run!!

I know a couple of guys whose running tailed off massively for the first year or so, and our own ALD who was a thread forefather along with me and Stevie See, has now completely changed his training....he used to be a 60mile man. Now he favours a more general fitness approach, strength work, and a few runs.

ps congrats tho...i think

ps Bus I have a fairly light training week this week,  so might be easy to schedule a run in depending on you?

Tuesday is 6x1k reps, but every other run is between 4 and 6, pretty much easy pace, bar one with walk back strides.

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 19:41
06/01/2013 at 19:43
Haha. Cheers. I have been thinking that I'm just going to have to see how it goes and run when I can. Hopefully she sleeps for 12 hours right through and I can get out but I think I'll have more chance on the lottery!
06/01/2013 at 19:50

probably will arrive and you'll realise whether you get out for a run isn't even that important any more!

Best smash it til May!

06/01/2013 at 20:09

My lad was born in August 1996 and my training and racing improved from then on until 1997/98 where I set most of my best times.

The fact is, I was a runner before my lad was born or before I met my wife so that part of the deal is non negotiable.

Now if I had decided later on to take up some activity that took me away from home for days on end or drained the household of vital cash then that is a different matter.

06/01/2013 at 20:38
Ric -Wow didn't realise such cave dwellers existed nowadays, I imagine she did things before the baby arrived that had to stop....like sleep. (I'm typing from my iPad so there are no emoticons on offer so you will have to imagine the wink)

Matt, I played hockey and retired when my kids came along. I couldn't commit to training and playing every week and my form suffered. So I preferred to be a great dad than a decent hockey player. You will be knackered, not as much as your wife so don't complain or you won't hear the end of it! You will be able to continue training but you will have to flexible with when you do it.

Stevie has it spot on IMO in 2posts above. Wise words
Edited: 06/01/2013 at 20:41
IronCat5    pirate
06/01/2013 at 21:33

I used to fly before the kids arrived. Gradually that has been chipped away until I no longer do. You'll find that running will give you some headspace and breathing time that is very important.

06/01/2013 at 22:04

Nice report Dachs, cheers for the kind words. Looks like some of our targets are similar this year. You going for another Marathon then! Good luck, Big commitment that!

I dont have kids yet but Im sure when I do it will affect training significantly, Run whilst you can Matt!

Smashed the Suffolk XC Champs today, 3rd Senior , 7.2miles @ 5:59min/mile on a toughish 3 lapper including 500ft climbing & 2 bombholes to run through. 

Set off steady on a flat section, let about 8 guys go, including 2 U20's who were running 2 of the 3 laps then dropping out. Hit the main slow climb after about half a mile and slowly made my way past 6 of the 8 runners to leave me in 3rd, The course had afew techinals turns and downhill running which suited me and the gap then just grew steadily wider in front and behind so I just dug in and ran about 6miles on my own.  Legs nearly fell to bits on the last lap coming out of a steep bombhole but my place was secure. Few of the fast guys were missing but Im fairly sure I'll get selected for the inter-counties.

Not ran fast for quite some weeks now, seems to have done me good with just a few easy paced weeks.

Edited: 06/01/2013 at 22:07
06/01/2013 at 22:21

I'm never having kids!

Matt, you've got your meals in the right order... Breakfast, dinner and tea.

67.5 miles this week, today was beyond easy on my 7 miler. Session start on Tuesday! 8 x 3mins and 4 x 30 seconds. Can't wait.

06/01/2013 at 22:29
Bloody hell Seb, that's a fantastic result! You can't go proving Dachs right so early on!!
Very well done!

Matt, bizarrely for our resident monk (!) SG has it spot on! Being flexible will be the key..
Ironically I took up running when we had kids, as mountain biking took up too much time. I now spend more time running than I ever did on the bike (leaving aside cleaning tinkering with the bike that is!) but it does mean fitting in training when you can and being prepared to compromise.

SG-working at home only Tuesday this week, but planning to do a long road run to have a chance of maybe doing Tadley...
06/01/2013 at 22:45
Seb- performance of the weekend by a distance. Can't say I'm surprised, I have been banging on about your Xc prowess since Lemington.

Big week stevie s, looks good, when's the next race?

Oh & for all you commoners, tea is either a drink or a polite mid afternoon diversion involving cake and finger sandwiches to bide you over until dinner...which is to be taken around 7pm and no earlier. If you are eating at home, and are without company there is no need to dress formally
Edited: 06/01/2013 at 22:49
06/01/2013 at 23:06

Cake...? you mean oatcakes round your way! 7PM for an evening meal... I'd pass out by 6 without eating!  Clearly not built for upper class living.

Alsager 5 is my next outing, then a cheeky fell race early March followed by the Trafford 10K. Then nothing till Christleton and the Cheshire Champs.

07/01/2013 at 08:17

I wouldn't always assume new born babies will spend weeks keeping you awake all night and screaming all day. Depends on the baby. 

Now that I think of it, my own never cried.  If he wanted a feed he just become restless. And after a week he only needed feeding at 11 at night and 6 in the morning. Easy.

As for running, it was there first but I did stop travelling to distant races. Didn't fancy the 'away day' anymore. So I guess a compromise was made, but my choice, I'd rather play with the baby. Still do actually and he's 16.

The trouble starts when your kids want you for something/anything and your response is along the lines of, 'sorry kid, I've found something else I'd rather do elsewhere'.

I'm now going to get him out of bed. Before deserting the household to go training.

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 08:19
07/01/2013 at 10:15

Seb, sounds good, anything sub 6 sounds pretty good going. Makes it surprising you don't translate to road as well, as road should be easier. In theory!

What kind of course has a bombhole!?

Stevie, any reason you outflanked me by 1/2 a mile?

It's odd at the moment, i feel slight unease at the hip tightness each day, but then run, and it feels alright, so it's strengthening and carrying on. Would like it to be ideal again one day!

Last day off work today after an epic long time off! Tomorrow will hit hard I'm certain!

Still...just a leisurely 5miler today. And a haircut. That's the rock n roll way we play it down here

07/01/2013 at 11:54

Nice easy off road 8 miler for me then.

Really glad I didn't try running yesterday as I would have acheived nothing but compounded fatigue. Sometimes you just have to wait.

Of course, the fact that I didn't run meant I could recover indoors with two 35 min spins on the indoor bike. Its not running but makes my running better.

07/01/2013 at 12:25

Easy xc for me too this morning - 7.5M. legs felt OK. Here's a pic of those steps from yesterday, this was the first time we went up them.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/390230/gallery/sam_on_the_steps_working_hard_compress.jpg?width=350

14,461 to 14,480 of 27,499 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.