Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,481 to 14,500 of 27,362 messages
07/01/2013 at 12:57

textbook 1metre gap to Sam

07/01/2013 at 13:18
Maybe Seb's cross country skills are down to him having hooves or something. Anyway, another really impressive XC performance.

Speaking of which, I'm probably making my token XC appearance at Tadley this weekend. For those who know the course (SG? PC2? Iron?), what's the shoe recommendation? I own neither spikes nor trail shoes, but will probably have to invest in both at some point. The only shoes I currently have are racers and bog-standard training shoes.
07/01/2013 at 13:41

Ditto that question from me....I'm guessing decent trail shoes as there's a bit of tarmac, mud and everything if I rembere SG's previous description?

Must say, I'm pleased Seb's off-road prowess the last year has exonerated the huge gap between us at Lad's Leap

I was in front of her about 10 more steps up SG! That would have made a better photo. Never caught the bugger in front of her though....

I'm doing a long road run tomrorow lunch time SG. Can't remember what you had planned, but was it anything you could join with me for a section?

07/01/2013 at 13:48

Tadley sounds like a mini thread meet up!

Got to be studded XC shoes, simple as. There's a total mile or so on paths, and plenty of mud.  You could try it with normal trainers, but I managed to lose a shoe in a boggy part last year in the studded trainers!

Bus, was either 6x1k reps or 4mile easy, and realistically will be the latter.

So if you're up for meeting me at the park next to work, we could do a nice little 4mile loop with a bit of scenic nature, end up back there, and I could suggest how you could make it up to 10-14 or whatever your need is?

IronCat5    pirate
07/01/2013 at 13:55

Dachs - normally wellies and gaffa tape. As SG says, there is enough tarmacy type stuff at the beginning and end. Then there is some muddu trail sections, a huge boggy downhill that suck shoes off.

The ditch crossings at the bottom of the hill need something that will drain quick, then the uphill section over the muddy field probably needs something akin to a challenger tank to get the best results. Back on to muddy/gravelly trails then on to the tarmac for a finish.

And the start is about 15 mins from the car park...

07/01/2013 at 13:59

i do like the Tadley course, as it was my first XC race, back in Jan 06. Can remember turning up thinking, "This'll be fine", and feeling utterly knackered begging for it to end.

I actually ended 2006, which was my first year of a lot of races, 25 or so, vowing never to do an XC again.

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 13:59
07/01/2013 at 14:02

Probably my favourite running photo ever came from that Jan 2006 race

Tadley used to have this massive tree blocking the course, and there was only one rock n roll way to deal with it

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/104999/gallery/tadley_xc_8.jpg?width=350

07/01/2013 at 15:49

I remember wearing spikes at Tadley XC and it was a BAD move. Knobblies or trail shoes all the way or get an extremely sore foot for a week like i did

07/01/2013 at 16:17
The Bus wrote (see)

Easy xc for me too this morning - 7.5M. legs felt OK. Here's a pic of those steps from yesterday, this was the first time we went up them.

Sam likes that picture of her ahead of you, has made it her cover picture:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-hfOuKpra5NI/UOr0daYJB8I/AAAAAAAAACw/-gxvA3JHWdA/s503/sambus.png

07/01/2013 at 16:47

certainly seems a great race to get pics from

07/01/2013 at 19:01

Only question for me is how big I choose the studs - trail big or fell big (no spikes anyway!)

Shame there was no picture at the same point we went up the steps the second time then as I'd have been in front!

Nice Tadley shot that SG. As for tomorrow, I can do a 6.5M to get there, 4 with you and then take another 4.5 to get back home so that would work very well. Just need to get the timing right, so I don't have to hang around the car park and stiffen up! Bear in mind I'll be in road shoes for your route choice . How would 1pm suit, or would a little earlier be better?

PC2
07/01/2013 at 19:08

Dachs - Get trail shoes, Kanadia or similar, I used only those for years on XC as there is usually a section not suitable for spikes (or at Tadley, a lot). Now I have spikes because the Oxford league courses are more suitable.

Recently got a pair of these bad boys:
http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&sugexp=les%3B&gs_rn=1&gs_ri=serp&pq=asics+hyper+xc&cp=11&gs_id=18&xhr=t&q=nicklas+bendtner&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.d2k&bpcl=40096503&biw=1366&bih=643&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&ei=CB3rUMC6DuON0wWlv4HIBA#um=1&hl=en&tbo=d&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=asics+hyper+xc&oq=asics+hyper+xc&gs_l=img.3..0j0i24l8.815.4676.0.5493.16.11.1.4.4.0.166.1038.9j2.11.0...0.0...1c.1.mhrBGL-gx58&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.&bvm=bv.1355534169,d.d2k&fp=1ea0a9e2e30f9ab&bpcl=40096503&biw=1366&bih=643
Convieniently my current favourite socks are the same yellow. Only issue with shoes like this is not looking like Nicklas Bendtner - nice shoes, crap at football.

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 19:09
07/01/2013 at 19:13

Sounds a better plan, can we make it 12.30 instead?

I'd aim to get there slightly before, say 12.20-12.25  so it can be a seamless transition rather than you having to stop.

All the routes are normal trainer friendly, even the woods seem to have pretty good coverings, so don't get too mashed up.

I'm 99% this'll work well. If anything ridiculous has popped up at work tomorrow morning in my weeks off I'll let you know, but don't envisage a problem!

07/01/2013 at 20:56

SG, what's that t-shirt about? Big girls' blouse! None of that nonsense up noooortfff

A 4 and a 7 today. I had 3 hours sleep due to illness and waking myself up sneezing (that's a new one on me!) so chuffed I made it. To all the early birds pout there... I've done 2 early runs recently and they came out at 8:30 pace  and my heart rate was 170+. Compared to my evening run of 7:30 with average heart rate of 153. Is it normal to struggle so much for energy/pace/good form in the morning?

07/01/2013 at 21:01

that was one freezing cold January back in 06. Having said that, it was my only time ever wearing gloves, and regretted it after 1/2mile.

It's funny, it was even colder in 08 there, so wintery cold, they had to re-route the race so that the water jumps had thawed before a stampede of runners got there! Been mild so far this winter, hope it lasts until Sunday!

Never used heart rate monitoring myself, but an 8.30 average, if that's on the flat seems to suggest you're either knacked, or a bit under the weather. You mention illness now, has it been lurking, and showing itself in those runs?

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 21:07
07/01/2013 at 21:06

No I've been grim for about 5 days, it's a full on cold now, I'm pi**ing out my nose! Maybe it's my body adapting to the early mornings, I do literally run after being up for 2-3 mins. It's been the case when I'm fighting fit, but always managed to squeeze the pace to sub 8min/miles. 

I only ran with gloves once felt like a girly footy player never did it again!

07/01/2013 at 21:13

you're not even giving your body a chance to get going in that case!

Even when I've run at 7am I've been up an hour. You need to wake up fully at least, and get prepared. I doubt I'd get much out of it trying to run upon waking up!

Gloves in a race, I won't do again. You reach a certain intensity where you feel warm enough however cold it is. In training though, or doing reps, you don't always maintain the heat, so it's pretty impossible to run without them sometimes. I can recall not having enough feeling in my fingers to press the garmin before.

There's much worse though. Shades in any weathers, those skintight calf support things that surely look more likely to cut off blood supply than help out, and shorts so small that on motion it's a miracle they keep even the most shrivelled noodle at home  

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 21:18
07/01/2013 at 21:19

Training is a different matter! I've trained in a bobble hat, 2 coats, a neck scarf and 2 pairs of gloves. I suffer from raynaud's disease so I have to be careful with my hands, even when it's not apparent it's that cold! I remember one race where I had to ask a guy to go in my shorts to get my car key, he then had to open the door and start the car as my hands literally went purple. It was scary and very painful!

07/01/2013 at 21:24

coats and scarfs is extreme. I've often done hooded tops. And found to my peril that you can't do MP or faster work in the pouring rain wearing a fleece, as you end up weighing double by the end of it!

Bus has a good story about the cold though, one marathon he did! Now that's a distance not to get cold in!!

Presuming he pops on later, I'll catch up on that tomorrow...have to get back in the routine for proper sleep times now, after a glorious 2 1/2 weeks of any old hours

Edited: 07/01/2013 at 21:25
07/01/2013 at 21:27

For him mostly if he had to get the keys out of your shorts!!

Seriously though, Raynauds is not nice...

12.30 should be OK. Technically I need to be contacable except between 12 and 2.30, but can probably sneak out early. If something crops up though, would a bit later cause a problem? If it would, then no worries as I'll just do the shorter section first.

I wouldn't get Kanadias - they are heavy, and don't last long either! For racing some New Balance MT101s or MT110s are good - very light with reasonable grip, or if you need a bit more in the way of grip, the La Sportiva Cross Country is good - both can be had for peanuts at the moment...

14,481 to 14,500 of 27,362 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.