Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,501 to 14,520 of 24,126 messages
07/01/2013 at 22:07
Ill vouch for the sportivas. The bright yellow ones Bus with the logo down the side? I bought mine ten mins before I did the tour from the mobile Pete Blands van after some club mates laughed at me thinking i could run it in some solomon speed cross. Straight on and ran 17 mile in them. :-/ not one blister or hot spot anywhere. There's very minimal cushioning though.
07/01/2013 at 22:07
Cheers for the recommendations chaps, I shall go see what I can find. Sounds like whatever I buy will have a baptism of fire at Tadley.

5 mile tempo tonight in 29:01, so 5:48 pace. Definitely feel like my pace is coming back. So that's nice.
07/01/2013 at 22:19

Best thing about the Sportivas (other than the gripand fit of course!) is the price. Nowt wrong with the Speedcross though Matt, I wouldn't have thought? Not a true fell shoe as not so low profile, but grippy enough I would think. Seb whooped me at LL in a pair!

Bloody quick tempo that Dachs - inside my (official!) 5M PB mate!!

SG - cross posted! Yep, a tale about Luton and near hypothermia, but one of a dull moment methinks!

08/01/2013 at 09:00

Bus, i'll start getting prepped at 12.20,to be in position for 12.30, but can no doubt squeeze back a  little if needs be. Drop me a text if needs be.

Dachs, as a comparison I hit 30.10 at 5miles within an hour tempo that alternated in 10mins between HMP and Steady last week. But clearly that has the steady 6.30+ pace for 10mins reducing it.

29.01 and 5.48 is pretty fast. On paper my tempo pace is 5.42-5.45 ish, but clearly I wouldn't be able to handle 5miles at that in training, probably 2miles at most!

08/01/2013 at 09:32

OK, I will aim to be at that car park for 12.30 (or as close as I can get it!) and let you know if there is an issue. 

Decisions though - to take a drink or not! I'm trying to build up the length I do without taking one but the longest run wthout a drink to date is 13.5M and will probably end up around 15 today...

08/01/2013 at 10:47

chap i train with just ran a 3.47 1500m indoor this weekend. winning the BMC A race.  thats how to open your 2013.   should make my reps this spring a bit more lively with that sort of speed out in front  

Seb - he "only" finished  16th in the birmingham xc league, but won the leek xc.

Bus - i would take a drink, maybe a half bottle to reduce the weight you have to carry

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 10:47
08/01/2013 at 10:57

That's an impressive performance!

08/01/2013 at 11:33

Bus, i've regularly run 16milers with no drink. Not sure you need one in this weather, as you won't dehydrate. Couple of sweets might be a better bet.

08/01/2013 at 14:10

Bus, take a massive cannister of water, but make SG carry it like a mule.  Water for you, resistance training for him.  Win-win.

Adidas Adizero XT4 purchased.  They didn't have any of what The Bus recommends, and I don't have enough time before the race to order anything.  But they're grippy and light.  Plus they are bright blue/orange, which has to be worth at least 20 seconds per mile.

08/01/2013 at 14:38

XT4's have got a good reputation Dachs, should do you fine for Sunday (you'd beat me wearing wellies!). Bet they're not bright by the end of the race!  

Wish I'd thought of getting SG to carry the water (might have slowed him up as well!). 

Did 15.1M in the end in 1:56, with the partly off-road, hilly bits with SG in the middle making it up to exactly 1000ft according to Mr Garmin! Slowish pace overall (that'll be Stevie dragging the pace down then), but not surprising given the climbing and couple of miles of mud on top of a hard race Sunday and another hilly xc yesterday!

08/01/2013 at 16:46

Dachs, got to love the Adizero. Although getting the flash looking shoes and then smashing them through mud water and all manner of farmers slop means they won't look new by 11.40 sunday morning!

Bus, good run, reminds me that running with people makes it a much better experience, easy to forget!

When i saw you smashing along I realised i'd have to reduce that pace somehow, as my stomach was already finding the transition back to rice and banana morning fare too much too handle!

08/01/2013 at 16:50

Lucky you weren't too far away from work then I guess!

08/01/2013 at 16:53

SG, its funny that you can do long runs without a drink. Right this minute I'm having some fun on another thread where the posters are convinced they'll pass out if they feel peckish.

08/01/2013 at 17:58

Ric - you're so mean . I've just posted on their (to balance your old school curmudgeonliness with the more friendly face of the SG thread)

08/01/2013 at 18:47

Oops - terrible misuse of their/there above!!

08/01/2013 at 19:02

Its ok Bus. The OP on that thread has just thrown her toys out of her pram big time.

Training then, hmm!

I've sort of reverted to a rather lop-sided cross training pattern.

Training was: One run per day.

Training now: (Run, bike). (Bike, bike). (Run, bike.) So twice a day training but only a run every other day. 

It's a bit ironic that my running has become more effective since I've stopped running so much in training.

Seb Coe's father said that runners will just run. Running athletes need to train in a way that makes them a better athlete, of which running is just one aspect. There are other ways.

I think he meant weights.

I'll be back to 'only running' as soon as.

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 19:04
08/01/2013 at 19:57

i'll hot foot it over there shortly...i wonder if the poster is the same one I saw at the Victory 10k with a full belt of drinks! A September, slightly cold 10k!

Good double completed today, the 4 with bus as a warm up, and then 6x1k tonight.

A new "cv" pace, which I'm told is 8secs slower than 10k pace being the objective. (not VC as i'd incorrectly mentioned to Bus earlier...that he reckoned was "very comfortable pace" )

I roughly calculated that 1.24s would be around the pace, so perhaps 3.30 a 1k.

Came out 3.31, 3.27,3.28, 3.25,3.26,3.27

On a dark track it wasn't 100% easy to properly time the 60secs recovery (i don't use any fiddly clever stuff on there, just 2 clicks!), so I realise now rep 2 and 3 were a bit over the 60, but I'm sure that makes little difference, as I found that the later reps were faster anyway.

At a not pushing the pace vibe, felt quite nice.

edit, couldn't resist a little post on that thread. Woman asks for fuelling advice, gets it, then says she knows best. Genius. And is planning on walk/running it as she has a niggle. A niggle and she's running a marathon. That'll end well

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 20:22
08/01/2013 at 21:08

Nice session, what's this CV pace about, a go-between 10k and 10 mile pace?

My first session in 5 weeks, with a full on cold tonight. 8 x 3mins (90 seconds) Average pace was 5:33 which based on my 10k PB is spot on 5K pace. Which sounds great but I didn;t feel it at any point and only got through via sheer stubbornness. I'm off to bed to die quietly...

08/01/2013 at 21:17

not entirely sure. But my 10k pace zone is on paper 5.32-5.35, and tonight came out at 5.34 average...so in fairness came out in 10k range and not cv whatever it is anyway!

Nice little 3min bursts Stevie.  2 1/4 laps per rep approximately?

08/01/2013 at 21:54

Similar run to SG and Stevie See tonight, First faster session for 4 weeks also I think, 5 x 4mins with 2mins recovery. all about 5:25min/mile pace. SG Are you sure your pace wasnt supposed to be 8 secs/mile faster than 10k pace?  I found it very tough,it also rained hard. just didnt have the legs after Sunday. Did 7mile recovery run yesterday and that was fairly painful.

3:47 is silly fast Dean, are you doing speedwork at the moment? Running Saturday in Birmingham?

Big run today Bus, good job on a weekday!

Ric - Glad its working for you, I think some cycle helped my running last year, did 1000miles in afew months and it seems to strengthen weak areas, aswell as the aerobic effort, I'll be cycling again this year, come some good weather.

I always wondered about the Adidas  XT4'S Dachs, let us know how you get on.

I find the Salamon speedcross 3's are ultra comfortable, and when they're new they have very good grip, mine have started to wear down abit now from afew too many road miles & hard packed trail runs. Ill have to buy some more eventually, they are my  shoe of choice. The La sportiva has no cushioning & is no good in deep mud. my local off road road is now like an XC course and they just slip everywhere.

Anyway, not got much time to post this week...

Edited: 08/01/2013 at 21:56
14,501 to 14,520 of 24,126 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.