Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,621 to 14,640 of 26,672 messages
13/01/2013 at 08:30
Some good long runs there. 14 for me shortly with a couple of blokes from the club. Should be nice and steady. Did a tempo run yesterday which was a 2 mile steady then 4.5 miles @ 5.39 then another mile jog.

I ducked a xc race yesterday as I had to spend every other spare minute I had bloody painting. Good luck to those racing today.
13/01/2013 at 13:32
9M hilly xc this morning and leg was fine - seems like I could have raced after all. Never mind, could have gone the other way...

Looking forward to the reports.
13/01/2013 at 14:20

Same as you Bus, 9 miles this morning. 67 last and 65 this week. Looking forward to a full week of sessions this week.

13/01/2013 at 15:03

Me too, especially if we get snowed in! Nice high totals there Stevie. Disappointing start for me - 42M both this week and last week, when I wanted to be at least mid 50s.

13/01/2013 at 15:48

Wouldn't worry mate, you have the relief of knowing the twinge was just that...a twinge and nothing to set you back. 40+ miles will not see any loss is sharpness at all so don't worry. In the end these easier weeks could be just what you need to set you up for some monster sessions to come.

I feel the easy 3 weeks in December where I missed 12 days running has done me the world of good. Might sneak a little 4 out later too  Providing it's not too baltic out there.

13/01/2013 at 16:14
Nice work stevie, bus and matt
Bus, you never know if you had raced today you would have put more stress on it and maybe had a problem. You made the right call IMO
A 10m lsr for me in 6.54 ave
13/01/2013 at 16:30

6.54? Don't you mean LR... you can leave the S out!  Ha ha, actually I bet 6.54 felt like a pootle to a man of your calibre!

Looks like I'm defo out of the Northern XC, I've not been entered. So I may do Alsager, or just wait till Trafford. I'm beginning to have high hopes for that race...

13/01/2013 at 16:39
Nice long runs peeps. How did you find adding a third quality session in a week Matt?

Nice mileage there SS. You still snotty too or shifted the lurgy?

That's good news about the foot Bus. Game on for the thread outing at Wokingham.

Easy 17 miles in 2 hours / 7.13 pace for me topping off a 66 mile week.

Any news from SG et al that did Tadley?
13/01/2013 at 17:21

Cheers guys. 

Though not ideal so far mileage wise, Wokingham should be OK provided I can get a couple more good quality long runs in and some decent tempo work in the 3 weeks left.

Surprised there's no news from Tadley yet...

13/01/2013 at 17:36
Nice run johnas. I could certainly feel it a bit on today's run. Ended up doing 13.3 @ 7.49 pace. Was breathing hard on a couple of hills that we did and I'm looking forward to my first day off tomorrow since New Year's Day.

Ill only be doing two sessions this week as I'm supposed to be running two of the Yorkshire 3 peaks next Saturday with a group from the club. Will be back on the 3 sessions the week after all being well.
13/01/2013 at 17:59

Good news Bus, you've got 4 weeks until Wokingham.

Unfortunately my 'inner wimp' got the better of me this weekend, racing wise. Seemed a bit cold for my liking.

As usual; on seeing the results of the ditched race, I wished I'd gone. Clearly the county XC had taken its toll. Still surprised to see one team mate in the results. After last weeks XC he seemed hardly able to walk let alone run.

Still, something good came of it.

Had a longish run of 11 miles today that came out at an average pace of 6:44 min miles with 548 feet of climbs. Which considering the gear I was wearing and perceived effort, a bit of a surprise. My last three runs on this loop averaged, 7:11, 7:26 (rain) & 7:14 min mls.

Could be the indoor cycling or maybe rectifying a long term magnesium deficiency.

Who knows?

13/01/2013 at 18:18

SG seems to have had a good one at Tadley ...

13/01/2013 at 18:50

Yet to report here though 

Ric - could be the ground was a bit firmer today as well. My run was a bit faster than of late. I'm not counting the 4th week to Wokingham though, as that's the week the race is in so won't be putting any quality in theat week anyway!

Matt - I'm jealous of your next w/e run!

13/01/2013 at 19:25

Bus. Firm as road is I guess. 

I do this run only once in a while, all the rest is around the woods and local golf course. Sunday is over-loaded with four legged shit machines in the woods so is to be avoided.

I probably won't give much consideration to the final week before Wokingham. Once I start tapering and dwelling on the potential outcomes I invariably have a rubbish race. 

13/01/2013 at 19:35

Know what you mean, I was chased by 3 of the bloody things in Hughenden Park at lunchtime - that'll teach me to get up earlier!

13/01/2013 at 19:52

Right, been an annoying half day, my internet went down mid way through the Man Utd game which was gutting, and didn't come up until after the 2nd game

However....the race went fantastically.

3rd place, for my highest finish in this series ever, and had a sprint finish with the chap who normally wins these, losing out by 1-2 seconds!!

Met up with Dachs before hand, and it struck me he looks the part of a front runner these days, looks pretty darn slick and in shape!  I guess the only time we met before was after we'd just done a half marathon so probably not a great comparison...super knackered versus super fresh

Forgot the GPS watch, so used a stopwatch, and had to do a last minute laces switch after my brittle XC shoes ones snapped! That could have been a disaster. It actually helped in the end, as the other laces I had were way longer, could tie them a lot tighter, and after having a shoe sucked off by the mud last year it was a big fear!

I wondered how it would go with Dachs, I knew he's a bit ahead road racing wise, but I knew I had the experience on this course. I made it 40-60 in his favour. To be honest though, beating my normal Sandhurst rival was my main aim, but he wasn't actually there today!

Therefore, myself Dachs, and a Reading chap (roadrunna if he's reading) shot off, and were leading, before Chris Bradfield from Dachet took it on. Took series legend Graham about 3/4mile to pass us, but for once I didn't apply my "i'll slow down I'm ahead of Graham so must be overcooking it" sensor, and just kept with Dachs and the little group.

A Datchet chap joined us, and we pretty much had a leading 6. ( I did notice a couple of pretty quick chaps not in our group at the start, they were left trailing)

The first half of this race is tricky only for the footing. Lots of dodgy branches under foot, and a very narrow section through a woody section. A few of us took at least one minor slip each!

We were all going well at the front, until an incredibly dodgy section, of very very loose mud, that was so squelchy it was amazing that it didn't take our shoes off.

The crux of this race however,  is 3 water jumps (forgot there is a 3rd one!). Last year I bungled these, smashing through the water in one, and losing 10secs having to put a shoe back on at another. All 3 were jumped really well this time, and the difference in not having ice cold feet is huge!

After the 3rd jump, you then see a long long hilly ploughed field hill!! This is where even the front runners wilt a little. However, since 2010, I've found I get an incredible 2nd wind here, and with about a mile to go, seemed to just float from 6th to 3rd in no time.

I spotted Graham ahead, and thought, surely I can't be rude enough to be close to him? But he was slowing, and I was aware I had an angry gang of good runners behind me, so somehow kept up with him, and even gave him a cheeky sprint finish at the end.

3rd place, and gave Graham a hell of a shock, as for probably the first time ever he almost got beaten by a club mate

Winner was about 30secs ahead, a quality runner though

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 19:54
13/01/2013 at 19:55

Bus, I was once 'had a go at' by a dog along the seafront at Southsea (you've been on that very piece of road) and in an effort to teach it the error of its ways, swung a kick in its direction. Clearly it was too quick for that and hurled itself sideways, avoiding my foot but not the sheer drop off the front.

I guess its only cats that land on their feet.

13/01/2013 at 19:57

(wouldn't let me edit and finish my post....)

That's me done for the XC series now, only did 3, but delighted with 3rd, 5th and 6th.

Really hopeful to see some good pbs at the 10k and half in 3 and 4 weeks respectively.

This week I have a couple of really monster runs.

One featuring 6x 6mins HMP, 4mins Steady, and 1 featuring 4miles easy, 4miles steady, 4miles MP.

That latter one is on the saturday Bus, might suit you to join me for it, as I'm more flexible with timings on that day if you are? (well, mornings wise I mean)

13/01/2013 at 19:58

ps Matt, Johnas, Deano Ric, some really  cracking long runs  Bus good to see you back, hoped it was only a minor scare. Drop me a mail with how we can possibly cross over training this week pal.

Phil hope you're back to full health if not fitness soon (which might take a few more weeks)

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 19:59
IronCat5    pirate
13/01/2013 at 20:03

I'm voting for the bike RicF. Good pacing.

Tadley wasn't as firm underfoot as I'd have hoped. Especially the long muddy downhill to the ditches. Cracking day out though. I've really enjoyed this XC season, and seeing the improvements from a good year's base training.

It was also good to finaly meet our protagonist in the flesh, despite seeing him numerous times. Good to meet Dachs too.

No Wokey-Cokey for me, but I may be out on the bike to hurl encouragement.

14,621 to 14,640 of 26,672 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.