Moraghan Training - Stevie G

14,641 to 14,660 of 25,265 messages
13/01/2013 at 20:07

Good to meet you Iron..forgot to mention that in my waffle...probbaly cos im writing this so late

Like I said earlier, I'd have never recognised you from your pic!!

13/01/2013 at 20:12
Great run SG , like you say sounds like some PBs are going to get revised soon
Ironcat , if you enjoyed Xc sounds like you are going well too
13/01/2013 at 20:13

Glad you enjoyed the race IC. I should have come just to be social by the sound of it!

Couldn't have taken a swung at those dogs today Ric - they were all bigger than me

SG - hats off to you for that one! Sounds like a big leap forward (literally with those ditches!!). Glad to see you taking the position you've been working hard for. Must have given you a big pile of confidence for the upcoming road PBs!

Will let you know later in the week when I'm about - kinda depends on what happens with the forecast snow!  Your Saturday MP session will be at HMP for me though!

13/01/2013 at 20:25

Bus, it could work, because my steady is 6.30-7, and MP is 6.10+

Would be up to you, but if need be, we could just separate at some point during....so we'd still have the company for a good chunk of it.

The only thing is for a run like that you have to pick a really flat route. Something like the reverse of the Wycombe half route, then back on yourself....a slight incline, but as good as you're going to get!

BUT...like you say....see how the weather and your schedule is.

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 20:27
13/01/2013 at 21:06
Evening all. Before I do my bit, massive congrats again to SG on a really strong performance, particularly in that last mile, where he just seemed to glide away effortlessly. Good times are definitely ahead. Also good to meet Iron, looks like he's made some good progress from last year.

Cheers for the compliment SG, but I'd happily swap looking like a frontrunner for actually being one.

In summary, what I suspected might happen happened, which is that I didn't quite convert the form I believe I'm coming into to the race. SG has dealt with most of the race report, because up to about a mile to go we were running in the same little group. However, I found it tough going through what seemed like near constant mud, and my shoelace came undone down the very muddy slope SG describes meaning my shoe was almost sucked off a couple of times. At about a mile to go, SG found another gear and motored off through the field leaving me trailing. Made a half baked attempt to overhaul a clubmate at the finish, but he was too strong, and finished in 6th.

A solid but ultimately a little disappointing return to XC then, but not one I'll lose too much sleep over. I'm hoping (on the basis of wishful thinking maybe) that Dean's experience of slight disappointment on the country being followed by great times on the road is something I can repeat.

Above all, it was a fine day out, and much more of a kind of team spirit within the club than you usually get at road races, so definitely worth having made the trip.
13/01/2013 at 21:17

Ta Dachs, I'm certain you'll smack that pb at Wokingham. You know that course, so there won't be any surprises or too much to stop you keeping a nice consistent pace.

I hope to stick in your slipstream and get a tow

The way today panned out, was a little gutted that I had to cut short the after race chat to wheel off to the game. Could have stayed on for a bit and chatted some more.

Wokingham can sort that out, with a gaggle of us there.

13/01/2013 at 21:38

Either way Dachs, still a very good performance! I'd be pretty happy to be disappointed with that (if you get my drift!).

Presumably you're not doing Bracknell next week SG?

13/01/2013 at 21:40

Nope Bus. Even I knew deep down I should miss that one. After today it can only be a let down, and the road racing A races are afoot.

Time is going to whisk away now, 3weeks to Chichy, and 4weeks to Wokingham!

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 21:40
13/01/2013 at 21:43
Dachs, welcome to the club of disillusionment regards Xc form when compared to the roads. Don't forget they keep cows in fields and sports cars on the road, which would you rather be? Oh and you might detect that bitterness towards anyone who is good on the Xc is essential
Mind you 6th is far from a disaster, so you might get thrown out of the club yet
13/01/2013 at 21:49
Nice racing fellas. Good performances all round by the sounds of it.

I'm in agreement that XC and road are just two different animals and some convert better to one than the other (that's my excuse anyway and sticking to it!). Kind of wish I was racing Wokingham with you all rather than MP'ing it as believe times aren't only going to get smashed but a little group run will be going on for a good part of it which sounds like a great day out. Instead you'll all have to stick around and wait for me to finish!
13/01/2013 at 21:57

so just to check, what's the role call for Wokingham?

Bus, myself, Dachs, Johnas, DT2, PC2

Luvsa? Mee Meep?

Phil and Iron a no.

I think I've covered the southern lot....and potentially is going to be the biggest thread race yet...

Edited: 13/01/2013 at 22:00
14/01/2013 at 07:19

Great result SG, it can sometimes be difficult beating the 'status quo'. 

When you are used to team mates always beating you it takes a degree of nerve to challenge them in a race and beat them in turn; or get too close for comfort.

You've clearly got to a level and consistency where the opposition has to accept the inevitable. That you're a lot faster than you used to be.

Its also a scary race tactic (going off hard) for the opposition. Steve Jones used to do it. In the early races he got caught before half way, then before the finish. One day he never got caught at all. Game over!

BTW. You haven't quite got all the Southern lot for Wokingham. There's someone else I know of.

14/01/2013 at 07:41

Ah sorry Ric...darn it I knew i'd miss someone,

You're right with what you say. I've always gone off fast, but used to quickly fall back. These days the fall back is less dramatic!

No aches today which is good. The snow is a bit of a drag though.

I'll brace myself for people at work saying "You're not running in this are you" for the umpteenth time.

On a more serious note, I really hope it clears before the quality sessions. You can run easy in this weather no worries, but any kind of tempo or reps are completely out.

Edited: 14/01/2013 at 07:44
14/01/2013 at 08:04

SG, when dealing with detractors I've deflected the comments by twisting my reply around to correspond with their lower IQ levels.

For instance, in response to the comment "You're not running in this are you?" I'd reply, "you must be joking! I'm not going out in that horrible muck". This will give the appearance of being as dense as they are.

If they had any respect, they wouldn't even ask the question. Bloody impertinent.

Needless to say it won't stop you training. Just a bit awkward if they see you.

Snow and ice training. Usually becomes a golf course job. Even in the dark. 

14/01/2013 at 08:34

yep, fields tend to be the safest. Dark and icy/snowy becomes a little bit more awkward.

I do remember last year doing my 3x2miles HMP round a snowy park though! That was hard, and obviously was more HM effort than pace...

At the mo, the roads seem fine. Will have to play it by ear. Might switch the quality to Tue or Thur accordingly...as Wed when it's scheduled is tricky!

One thing you do realise, is that how we take conditions along with fitness for granted!

14/01/2013 at 09:22

decided this yr that any quality will be done on a treadmill when the track is closed to snow or the roads are a mess.  Not ideal but then neither is slipping around on a snow covered feild either and i find myself easing off the pace for fear of slippage anyway.all easy trotting i will try to do outside still.

14/01/2013 at 09:52

Ran to the station this morning in case it comes down heavy this afternoon, as running in the snow is infinitely preferable to riding a road bike! Ver nice - 7.5M through the woods on a dusting of snow.

Only problem was, there is no hot water at work, so no chance to shave and a freezing cold shower! So, on top of the "you're not running in this are you?" I'm getting a constant stream of, "what's this, the desperate Dan look?".  Grrr!!!!

14/01/2013 at 11:22
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

decided this yr that any quality will be done on a treadmill when the track is closed to snow or the roads are a mess.  Not ideal but then neither is slipping around on a snow covered feild either and i find myself easing off the pace for fear of slippage anyway.all easy trotting i will try to do outside still.

Dean, I can just imagine what a quality session of yours is like on a treadmill.

I have a TM myself which only my lad has had the speed and nerve to take to its top speed of 12.5 mph. To damn scary for me I'm afraid. I don't like the idea of making a mistake and being chucked off the back.

I'll set it on a steep gradient sometimes but for now its gathering dust. I'd rather go outside whatever the conditions.

If the machine hadn't cut out and slammed the brakes on while I was going flat out, then I might be more kindly disposed towards it. 

I damn near shat myself!

14/01/2013 at 14:02

not a fan of treadmills. from my very limited use in shops, they always seem to be way too fast, yet when told what pace they're at it's something embarrasingly slow i could hold for hours on the road.

Therefore, outdoors it is, and you know me, i'll make the best of it.

5 at lunch was decent, with roads fairly fine. The snow always seemed to go in my eyes whatever direction I was running in which was awkward.

just a 4 tonight.

It's the quality that's going to be tricky. I might just do it round the park wearing XC shoes, and see how that goes, anywhere else might become really risky.

14/01/2013 at 14:17

I think treadmills can have their place, but to be useful they have to be one of the good ones (ie bloody expensive!) for safe speedwork. They are helpful at hotels etc when you can't get out and I woudn't mind one for the occasional evening speedwork session - just haven't got anywhere to put one, and can't afford a good enough one anyway! The thought of one stopping suddenyl like your Ric doesn't bear thinking about!   A flat, well-cropped sports field with XC shoes is a good substitute for the track in the snow, and you can maintain not far off track pace in most types of snow except a real hard crust. The slight extra resistance can pay dividens when back on the road or track too.

Is the one you use in a gym Dean?

14,641 to 14,660 of 25,265 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.