Moraghan Training - Stevie G

15,201 to 15,220 of 26,757 messages
03/02/2013 at 19:13

In May I could do Silverstone or Bristol 10K, the latter I know little of apart from the field is often strong. But I've not looked at the dates in detail, I'm doing the Cheshire track and field champs, have the Christleton 5k and a stag doo so likelihood is there'll be a clash.

03/02/2013 at 19:18
Ric - I may have been a bit hasty regarding the fella who took a couple of mins out of the young lad. It turns out he's ran for GB on the mountains and the young lad is on the beer etc with being a young lad. Was surprised to see it really and so were a few others.
03/02/2013 at 19:23

Iron, you cheeky dastard, 140+ races, and only problems with about 5!

We do Wokingham every year, but Bus has some special spot, that doesn't involve a 1mile walk in!

Stevie, pencil it all in, and see how circumstances are nearer the time. The Bristol races on rumour alone sound fast.

03/02/2013 at 19:59
Great work SG! A good milestone nicely broken. So you took ? 6 secs/mile off your 10k pb and 7 secs/mile off your 10m pb @CP so we're looking for 8 secs/mile off your half Mara PB !

Matt doesn't sound like it quite went to plan today but good racing either way.

If it shortens a long trip, Anyone who wants to kip over at mine the night before Silverstone 10k is welcome.

Girlfriend has forbidden me from running at the moment due to me complaining about the Achilles after every run, so I'm going to let it fully heal now before resuming training, could be another day or another week
Edited: 03/02/2013 at 20:00
03/02/2013 at 20:45

SG, awesome stuff, feels like a big thread moment, a long overdue welcome to the sub-35 club.  I'm delighted to see how accurate my prediction was. Of course, I knew it would be 39:43, but didn't want to seem too accurate

A typical SG fast start then, but you held it pretty much all the way through.  By your description of the race, it sounds like the ideal PB in that you smashed it, but you still know there's some slack in there for another PB on an even faster course in better conditions (hello Eastleigh). Well pleased for you, you truly deserved that one.

Also a great confidence builder ahead of Wokingham.  I know you're not going to talk targets for that one, but, whatever you were aiming for, you must be pretty confident of hitting it.  Looks like it'll be a good year.

Mattl, sounds like an absolute dog's dinner!

Edited: 03/02/2013 at 20:47
03/02/2013 at 20:51
The Bus wrote (see)

That's some pot hunting 

Nice to see you posting M - just don't make it need a major milestone form SG to bring you back each time 

51.6M for the week. Now a nice easy week in the run up to Wokingham, where I now expect SG to leave me for dead! 

Stevie - I might consider Silverstone as well if you are thinking of making the trip down...

Cheers, hopefully I'll have time / reason to pop in here next Sunday!  Hope you have a good race at Wokingham, might turn up to heckle - not sure yet.

03/02/2013 at 20:51

Bluenose - welcome.  As SG says, I didn't win that one, I was 4th.  Slightly odd one as there were 2 minutes separating 1st-4th, and then a whole 6 minutes between me and 5th.

Yep, I'm well aware of Frome's hilliness, as I grew up there.  Do I spy the red vest of Frome Running Club in your picture then?  I ran for Frome back when it was Frome AC as a teenager in the early 90s, they had a decent youth setup then and some really quick kids.  My dad was one of the youth coaches, and has now just rejoined the club after a long absence. 

03/02/2013 at 21:52
Big PB SG . Well raced. Looks good for the hm
Matt - sounds like you ran well, shame about the organisation
Seb - Sorry to hear about the lay off, will that keep you out of birm Xc on sat?
Stevie see- I'm looking at Lincoln 10k in April, I think dt2 got a PB there last yr so looks like a fast course. So if you need another 10k shot that might suffice. Also there is air products on Easter Sunday.
Philip . I would take you up on the 2.50 VLM pacer but I'm planning on targeting 2.59. Will try and follow your training plan though if you are going to share again

A 15m LSR for me today in 6.45ave pace. Felt strong
Edited: 03/02/2013 at 22:01
03/02/2013 at 22:15

2:59 Dean - yeah right! Either you're planning it as  a training run or you've mis-typed the middle digit there

Seb - girlfriend forbidden you? She may well be right, but who wears the trousers (shorts?) in your house?? Hopefully it'll heal sooner rather than later though...

M - all hecklers welcome next week! 

Oh, forgot to say earlier, tried out new shoes tonight - Adios. Bloody great shoes, and although new shoes always seem to make me feel faster, these seemed to inspire a bit of extra pace for some reason, even more than the lighter Hagios....

03/02/2013 at 22:20
Dean - 2:59?! Really? I know you shouldn't underestimate the marathon and stuff, but that's jogging round for you. It's a slower pace than your 15 today!
03/02/2013 at 23:04

Sorry Dachs always thought you won the HM, just remember the green vest coming up the hill at the end... Its on again this year, it's also the Somerset HM Champs, the mad fools... I've only been with the club for two years, but I get the feeling some of the people have been members since the beginning of time...

03/02/2013 at 23:33
Dachs, bus - agreed that time looks unambitious but I don't want to be a casualty of chasing something and dying on my arse. I feel I need to earn the respect of the distance before I chase something faster. Maybe I will feel different once I've got the long training in me.
Edited: 03/02/2013 at 23:34
04/02/2013 at 07:20

You will Dean, once youve smashed out a few 20s at 6.15 pace

Refreshing to see a bit of real humility for the distance though, as we've all seen how it can effect even the best runners.

04/02/2013 at 08:14
Moraghan wrote (see)
The Bus wrote (see)

That's some pot hunting 

Nice to see you posting M - just don't make it need a major milestone form SG to bring you back each time 

51.6M for the week. Now a nice easy week in the run up to Wokingham, where I now expect SG to leave me for dead! 

Stevie - I might consider Silverstone as well if you are thinking of making the trip down...

Cheers, hopefully I'll have time / reason to pop in here next Sunday!  Hope you have a good race at Wokingham, might turn up to heckle - not sure yet.

That'd be terrific if you came along! Certainly would boost performance I'm sure!

Dean, behave. Even accounting for your lack of experience at the marathon distance, a 1:14(minimum) half level would be a pretty poor transition to a 2.59!

04/02/2013 at 11:43

Dean, the real value of that speed of yours is being able to dump miles out of the way quickly.

One reason Paula Radcliffe ran the marathon in 2:15 was that she had the ability to go all out for that time duration and run out of road before she ran out of energy.

Sub 2:30 for you. WAVA 10k has a 33 min 10k at 2:28 for a marathon.

You could do that just by swapping a 15 mile run for a 21miler once a month.

04/02/2013 at 11:47
The Bus wrote (see)

Now that is  quality story Johnas! Colin Dulson? He organises the Ennerdale Horseshoe amongst other races. Good runner in his own right.

It is indeed Colin and he did talk about the Ennerdale Horseshoe, or more specifically, inviting me up to run it! We swapped contact details so next time he's down here in Kent he's got a running partner.

So Dachs, & Bluenose are Frome boys huh? I ran for Yeovil Olympiad (3000m) whilst a schoolboy as well as Somerset at Cross Country & 3000m. Found an early running diary last week when moving house complaining about a terrible race at the Yeovil 5k series in where I only ran 17.09. I was 14 at the time.

20 miles went off ok yesterday. Overall average 6.51 pace with the MP sections average 6.13, so not far off the target of 6.18 but still early days (only 1 week in to marathon prep). A couple of MP sessions this week should hopefully help me get more in tune with the pace ready for an MP run at Wokingham.

04/02/2013 at 12:03
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
Dachs, bus - agreed that time looks unambitious but I don't want to be a casualty of chasing something and dying on my arse. .

Heck mun, you wouldn't be the first on this site to do that!

04/02/2013 at 12:09

Awesome run and milestone SG. Excellent pacing job. Things looking good for Wokingham and 2013 in general - should be PBs all round!

Edited: 04/02/2013 at 12:10
04/02/2013 at 12:33

Dean - I'm sure you'll change your mind once you see the results of specific marathon training.  I guess it's a bit early to be talking about targets anyway, you haven't even entered one yet!

Johnas - I wonder if I ran against you as a kid then?  Yeovil is where I did most of my track racing back then, presumably as it was just about the only place in the local league with a decent track.  Mainly 800/1500, but usually also featuring something stupid like long jump or 200m, just to get the 1 point for the club for coming last.  One of my abiding memories is false-starting in a 400m race.  I hated track.  Never quite made the grade to run for Somerset, sounds like you were a cut above me.

04/02/2013 at 15:04

Another 11 miles knocked off. The biking seems to be having some beneficial effect.

Traffic really busy so stop start most of the way. 39 minutes for the first 6 miles then averaged 6:10 for the next 5 miles. Last two miles 6:05 & 5:58 (downhill that one)

600 feet of climbing involved. That's out of Thames valley, into the Colne valley and back again.

15,201 to 15,220 of 26,757 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.