Moraghan Training - Stevie G

15,221 to 15,240 of 24,124 messages
04/02/2013 at 15:31
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
Dachs, bus - agreed that time looks unambitious but I don't want to be a casualty of chasing something and dying on my arse. I feel I need to earn the respect of the distance before I chase something faster. Maybe I will feel different once I've got the long training in me.

2:59 is a reasonable aim as in reality that means a safe 1:25 for the first half and if you get to half in 1:25 you can pretty much hit anything from 2:50 to 3:00. The other thing about 2:59 is that if you only ever do one marathon then sub 3 is the real barrier you want to beat and if you intend to do more, a sub 3 is a nice start to give you a sighter. I will be sharing the training but will start with a marathon at the end of October and then will keep the long runs properly long through the whole winter.

7.5 at lunchtime today at 7.5 pace: a bit less wind than last week and about 40 seconds faster so everything going in the right direction.

04/02/2013 at 16:00

sub 3 is reasonable if you can imagine Deano cruising it round cautiously!

But somehow I can't.

Deano, why are you thinking about a marathon by the way? Surely you could still smash the 800s and 1500s with your turn of speed.

04/02/2013 at 16:24

Strong progression run that Ric.  Don't go wearing yourself to close to Wokingham though

04/02/2013 at 16:29

stevie - truth is im mixing it up a bit to avoid repetitive boredom creeping in and more so using different paces/mileage in training to hopefully avoid injury.  Im guessing there is only so much my hamstrings are going to put up with.

my plan for 2013:

now to end of March, training is focused HM for wilmslow. 

April to end of May, training is focused on 5k training for Christleton

Summer months focusing purely on 800m

then back to training randomness of a 10k at leeds abbey dash and Robin hood HM in the autumn

before starting mara training for london 2014.  the marathon is an itch that needs scratching  

04/02/2013 at 16:31

Stevie forgot to ask - has the grin subsided from your chops yet ?  Big chunk taken off your PB !!

04/02/2013 at 16:50

Deano, have to laugh at repetitive boredom kicking in! You're only a couple of years in old son!

I have found myself writing 34:43 out a few times on random bits of paper...probably the most pleasing pallandrome I've ever come across!

Edited: 04/02/2013 at 16:50
04/02/2013 at 16:58

Bus, from the moment I set off I had a couple of thoughts in mind. One was Wokingham, the other was having to account for questionable training paces later on the thread.

I could simply keep quiet but since I'm always right it would be a shame to deprive anyone of the means by which I did the job. See, modest as well

The mile averages are just that. Averages.

The form of the run was really a mixture of paces where the main proviso was to operate around HM effort/ tempo.

As with a couple of days ago, if I deemed that I was overdoing things I stopped and reassessed the situation. You can spend a significant amount of time going in and out of oxygen debt doing that.

I was more interested in how I was feeling at the end of the run. Compared to last week, recovered almost immediately. 

No more than 5 milers now. 

04/02/2013 at 17:55

Deano, 2:59? Very cautious of you and food for thought for my own aspirations. I'm entering one next spring either London or... Boston. I want to make a big deal out of it first time.

If my plan goes right by then I'll be nearing 35 mins for 10k and have a predicted mara time of 2:42. I'd be aiming for 2:49-2:55... is that a bit ambitious?

Looking forward to seeing you blast a few 800's this year Dean, will I be seeing you at the Trafford open meets then?

04/02/2013 at 18:28

Cripes Ric, i'd missed that session until Bus, or forum nanny as I call him  pointed it out.

Around 7miles in a row at what must be HMP zone?! Hell of a session.

I guess you do have most of the day to do it and recover unlike most of us full time workers though

Stevie, you have to qualify for Boston I believe, and only on a marathon time, not on your half. So you'd have to do another marathon in 3:05 or under first!

Similarly for London, to get a Good for age place you'd have to have done another marathon first! Or you could go sub 1:15 at half and auto qualify! Otherwise it's pot luck in the ballot (which will open the day after the race in April) or a charity space, perhaps 2k in sponsortship needed

04/02/2013 at 18:41
Or a club place. At some clubs that's a fairly straightforward way in. Not at ours mind, there's a ballot for them too.
04/02/2013 at 18:45

yeah that's true Dachs. I think my lot used to get 3, so it'd often be 3 out of 4/5 wanting it, fairly good odds.

The they got tight, and it was suddenly 1 place!

04/02/2013 at 18:45

Johnas... The Yeovil series is still going strong, on one of the fastest course's around here, and supported by a strong turn out...

The Silverstone 10k, thats a blast from the past... Done a couple of them 20 years ago, and the results are in the archive... 34.36 in 92 & 33.51 in 93... Must have had a couple of off nights... All I can remember about them, is that it was hilly-ish and windy... Plus the Williams Team was doing a bit of testing before one of them...

04/02/2013 at 18:46

Off nights Bluenose?

How fast did you go overall?

Hilly-ish?! It's a flat racing circuit... ...or it seemed that way when I did 4 halves there

Edited: 04/02/2013 at 18:47
04/02/2013 at 18:58

Stevie... If its not as flat as a track, then its hilly, its been my achilles heel...

Best time was 31.22, but sometimes wonder how true the distance was... To be a minute faster to what I was doing before and after, is a bit strange...

04/02/2013 at 19:05

I've heard similar from another gent of your age range BN. He ended with a 5miler that was a good minute out of sync with his other distances. He wonders if it was short.

Might have been a particular top performance though, but might have been simply a short course...how hot were organisers on certified courses back then?

A local top runner round here, lists sub 33 as his 10k pb. But power of 10 listed it as a "short 10k". Beauty of today is that it's a pretty conclusive answer.

Either way, even if 32s were your best that's super hot!

Just read a thread where people are saying they never do warm ups.  I bet they're writing on another thread about how they always find the first mile hard, or how they get injured etc

04/02/2013 at 19:08

SG, you guess right about the work patterns. Winter is my quiet time, so what I get up to in training strikes me on occasions as somewhat unrepresentive.

Not a case of sleeping the days away between sessions mind. Always something that needs sorting out.

04/02/2013 at 19:15

Never done a proper warm down yesterday... Paying the price today....

04/02/2013 at 19:18

i remember the days of no warm up for a race.

Wow that first mile used to be horrendous.

04/02/2013 at 19:28

Quite agree... Got caught out yesterday with the herding-up 15min before start, then the bimble to the start... Wasn't the best warm-up....

04/02/2013 at 19:44

I completely bypassed the herding. I need my last min preparations if you know what I mean! Luckily I was able to scoot up the right hand side of the pavement, and pretty much started in the ideal position.

Randomly  recognised a chap I'd beaten by a good 90secs at the Cabbage Patch 10miler, must have been ahead of me for a good 4k.

Must have overcooked it quite a bit!

15,221 to 15,240 of 24,124 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.