Moraghan Training - Stevie G

15,381 to 15,400 of 26,824 messages
09/02/2013 at 15:31
You have definitely got a year of big pbs ahead Stevie!
09/02/2013 at 18:34

Cheers Bus! The 7.25 done nicely in 7:20 pace. Now time for a bit of rest. Good luck to all racing tomorrow.

09/02/2013 at 20:51

nice run Matt.  Stevie See will probably be aware of Marc hartley (staffs moorlands) too so he will back me up when i say if you are in his pace zones then you are doing very very well.

Stevie S - nice work on the tempos, agree with bus man if you can do that session its opening a fair few PB doors in 2013

My birm league xc....i felt strong and full of confidence and targeted a top 50 position before the start.    Race started and i was moving well, pace was about 5.30 ish so fast but not killer.  Held this for the mile and next mile came out in 5.43 due to the very muddy part of the course but my postiton was about 50ish but i knew i felt strong so far and i would make a move soon enough. so no worries.  then about half a mile later i get a searing pain in my side, quite high up. it causes me to wince.  I try to run through it but its impossible and about half a mile on my pace is slowed to 7mm and i can barely move now.  I run to a stand still and step off the course.  Im gutted, embarrassed but it hurts so much i had to stop. one of our supporters spots me & asks whats wrong, i say i cant move and the pain is too much.  He trys to get me to get going again but im having none of it.  I do some stretches to try and loosen my torso but its no good, then he says im still in the counting positions as our 6th runner still hasnt come through yet., Riiiiight! we need the points and our team isnt the strongest today so i struggle off hoping it stops or im passed by our other runners so im not needed anymore.  Im getting passed now by all sorts of runners, some in a worse physical shape than Gazza!,  the red mist falls, im scowling and very pissed off.  My stop was about a minute in length plus the slow down before and after.  The pain starts to numb, its hasnt gone way but im not wincing now so i decide to get some ground covered before it comes back.  I start moving better and im hitting mid 5 /sub 6min pace now. im flying past people for fun, then the pain comes back, not as bad but enough to make me slow up,   So i try and get going when the pain numbs again.  i start moving better i have to get this race over as i dont know when the next pain is going to hit. im approaching the last 1k now and i feel ok.  I put a sprint on that defies my race so far and destroys everyone around me, i approach the line with a fair bit of air so i slow down knowing i cant be caught now.  69th and 5.52 ave pace.  so the stats say a decent race but its the worst race experience i can remember. Im glad i carried on and showed some spirit but i wanted to sign off xc with a proper go. 

frustratingly my team all think it was only a stich!, and i didnt want to start making excuses so i kept stum, but it still hurts now over 5 hours later. It doesnt feel like a stich, feels more musculer and i hope no damage has been done.  Anyway without the downs, the ups wouldnt feel the same

hope you all go better at wokingham than i did today!

09/02/2013 at 21:09

Great salvage job Dean.

You've just described a muscle pull that happened in a similar way to me in a 10 mile race.

It was in 1990 (Woking) and I'd just gone through 4 miles in 21:49 and felt I was hardly breathing. I then got what felt like a really bad stitch in the same place as you with the same effect. The pain just did me, forcing me to slow. Then it went for a mile or so. Then came back. The last mile was a 5:30 and I finished with 56:09 in pain but not tired. I was right pissed off as a sub 55 was on.

I have a lump of scar tissue from that incident to this day.

09/02/2013 at 21:24

Ric - question time  how long did it take to go away?  did you need to rest? or was it something you just battled through until it went away?

09/02/2013 at 21:30

That's a good result in the end Dean. Many a runner would have stopped so to carry on is commendable. Wonder what it was? Maybe a slight pull or something? Like you say, without the days where you wish the mud would swallow you up, the PBs wouldn't feel so dam amazing. Still a good workout, sub 6ing over XC. Despite being stopped for a minute you were only 19 positions down on your target. It's been a funny old XC season eh? Let's hopped it capped with a little inter-counties selection.

Yeah I know Marc, very good runner, has been down train us a bit, thoroughly nice guy too.

Come join me at the National XC for one last go?

09/02/2013 at 21:47
Doesn't sound like you had much fun Dean so well done for finishing, decent pace too. once you stop its always really tough to get going again. As Ric said most likely you pulled a chest muscle. I get pains when I'm working under cars that feel like severe heart pains but are just chest muscles spasms so I know where your coming from. I'm guessing you've had stitch before so I'm sure you can discern between that and something else. Hopefully it'll disappear shortly and will just be a one off.

Managed a run again today, 3rd day in a row for first time in a whilst so things appear to be improving.
09/02/2013 at 21:56

cheers chaps.  i wish it was a stich but its defn not. 

just saw the man city result and jumped out of my chair and the pain was sharp!  At least the pain was worth it this time

09/02/2013 at 22:31

Hi Dean

Had a look in the diary. I was able to go out the following day. But I do remember the discomfort on the day it happened. It seemed hard to walk after the race.

It was on my right side in the soft area between my hip bone and lower ribs.

The noticeable soreness only lasted a few days and around 10 days after it happened i managed a set of 20 x 200m.

Two weeks after the tweak I ran a 76 min HM wearing the worst shoes I've ever bought. I damn near took then off to run in my socks.

Three weeks after the tear, there appears to be no problems.

Edited: 09/02/2013 at 22:32
IronCat5    pirate
09/02/2013 at 22:34

Good luck to all at Woky tomorrow. I'll try to make it out on the course - weather dependant

09/02/2013 at 22:52

cheers ric - some positives there.

10/02/2013 at 07:38

Good luck today guys. Hope that rain clears.

10/02/2013 at 07:55
That's still a cracking result dean all things considered. I know for sure being out of the race for a minute i wouldnt have dived back in so fair play!

Sub 6 min miling at xc is not to be sniffed at and coupled with the stop, there's a lot of positives to take from that race.

Good luck to those racing!
10/02/2013 at 08:50
mattl wrote (see)
I've managed to get a picture on my PO10 but I've give up with this one. :-/

I'm bobbins with computers.

if this is youI'll do a crop of the right size and post it here and then you can upload it to RW. Off for a Sunday run, first time since early December.

http://www.runningpix.co.uk/XCTrailpics/LancsXC1302D/images/LancsXC_1302D643_jpg.jpg

10/02/2013 at 08:59
That is me. Still no idea how to crop it though.
10/02/2013 at 08:59
I'm on an iPad.
10/02/2013 at 09:33
Went for a recovery trot this morning, 8min miling and had to stop a few miles in. Looks like I will have to rest this and stay off my feet until it heals.
I knew I would slow up as a vet but I wasn't expecting to introduce a run/walk strategy to get through a recovery run!
10/02/2013 at 12:33

mattl

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-geuxGViuo5k/UReSbGsg64I/AAAAAAAAADk/gdFw9yZZDOE/s138/mattl.jpg

Try downloading this and then uploading to RW.

Results up for Wokingham, some will be happy, others not so.

10/02/2013 at 12:57
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)
Went for a recovery trot this morning, 8min miling and had to stop a few miles in. Looks like I will have to rest this and stay off my feet until it heals.
I knew I would slow up as a vet but I wasn't expecting to introduce a run/walk strategy to get through a recovery run!

Dean, I just realised that as a professional sportsman you would already know how to deal with injuries. So no need for me to describe the process.

My research suggests the muscle causing the problem: Internal oblique.

Seen the results from Wokingham.

Won by a club mate of mine. Not that I've ever seen him in a race. After one minute he's out of sight.

Someone is very happy.

Edited: 10/02/2013 at 12:59
10/02/2013 at 13:22

Yeah,and it aint me 

No pb, or even sub 1.19, but still a course best in pretty testingconditions,so I don't feel TOO bad! 1.19.07. Really struggled in the last 4 miles, partly as it was windy but mainly as my legs wouldn't do what they were told!! Bath now, more later!            Ps good recovery Dean-sounds like a bit of a mare!                  

15,381 to 15,400 of 26,824 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.