Moraghan Training - Stevie G

15,541 to 15,560 of 25,557 messages
14/02/2013 at 15:27

Johnas, that sounds like a right old session, best of luck.

I've been pretty ill the last 2 days, off work today, which is unheard of for me. Not helped by some nasty DOMS after the 3K intervals on Tuesday. Didn't run yesterday, but will have a go tonight, so it's a case of changing the day off around. Looking forward to a week off and an easy week leading up to the national cross.

Deano, didn't know Stoke did a 5000, I might have a pop at that. I'll be back from Portugal by then and either 1. Fit as hell. 2. Or completely done in by 2 runs a day for 10 days! I'll be tanned at least! Are you doing the 5k or leaving it all till Christleton? I'm doing a Cheshire League 3K the weekend before so will see how that goes.

14/02/2013 at 15:57

Stevie - i ran the 5000m last yr, its combined with the staffs county champs. (silver medal sits in a draw somewhere )  Im planning on doing the 3000m to get some pace going in the build upto christleton.   but if there is enough time/recovery between races i could pace you to your target and act as a wind break..even if i have to step off the track with a few laps to go.

your training session tonight after sickness and doms will be an eyeopener!!!   Im still in recovery with no idea when im allowed to trot again.  Physio not entirely sure what caused my injury so it might we are trying a few different things.  current diagnosis is its connected to a problem in my back so im getting massages.

14/02/2013 at 16:18

Does it hurt day to day? Like walking, lifting and getting about? But massages are never a bad thing! Hopefully you can get back to it this week.

That's a very tempting idea, using you as a pacer. I'm not altogether sure what I'd aim for. With a road PB of 17:23 from last summer would 16:5X be too much of a stretch? What's that per lap?

14/02/2013 at 16:22

DOMS

Just had a read up about the effect of cold air on muscles. Explains quite a lot.

14/02/2013 at 16:36

stevie - sub 17 would require a nudge over 81s per lap.  A 17.20 is a nudge over 83s.  To be fair its a 5k and you need to grab them by the balls...so any target pace by lap is going to seem obscene!! 

my injury doesnt give any pain out day to day...occasionally i get a wince but nothing ongoing.  But when i try to trot, im stopped in my tracks. 

Ric - i thought DOMS could be managed by ice baths..... what have you read about cold wind?

14/02/2013 at 16:47

81s...

14/02/2013 at 17:24

No DOMS for me after Sunday as such, but a fair bit of residual fatigue.  I took Monday off, ran 7.5xc and 2 xcs Wednesday to make 13M. All slow, but it was all in pretty slushy snow anyway. Decided not to run today, as it's been hectic at work, and on balance I decided there was more to be gained resting my tired legs than forcing a lunchtime session out. For once, I've managed to put aside the weekly mileage target!

Another XC double tomorrow, then I'm off to Purbeck for a week, so lots of very nice, but very hilly (and very muddy) coastal running. I wish I was going to Portugal though Stevie! Very nice...

Dean - fingers crossed that is some form of pulled muscle type affair that will just go of its own accord in a couple of days.

IronCat5    pirate
14/02/2013 at 17:38

Back last year I'd have a cold water bath after a long run ( 18mi). It always seemed to make the afternoon and next day better on the legs.

I've had a hectic week in Germany with work. Luckily it was a taper week so did a little running, though I found out late last night the duathlon qualifer has been postponed to a day I am busy - all due to a waterlogged field, no real difference to how wet the Marlow event can be in March! So a waste of a taper week. I'm back out to Germany Sunday night. In total it will be 2 weeks without any track work.

I'll put this week to some use and Parkrun Saturday AM. Waterlogged Reading parkrun has moved to a slightly flatter course.

14/02/2013 at 17:42
dean richardson 7 wrote (see)

stevie - sub 17 would require a nudge over 81s per lap.  A 17.20 is a nudge over 83s.  To be fair its a 5k and you need to grab them by the balls...so any target pace by lap is going to seem obscene!! 

my injury doesnt give any pain out day to day...occasionally i get a wince but nothing ongoing.  But when i try to trot, im stopped in my tracks. 

Ric - i thought DOMS could be managed by ice baths..... what have you read about cold wind?

Dean, I was thinking in terms of how the muscle get knocked about in the first place.

There's whole articles on the subject of cold air on muscle and how it effects the efficiency.

I've done the hot and cold water treatment and it appears to work. I found no need to immerse the muscles in cold water for more than a couple of minutes though.

I would rather not do this in a race mind.

I picked up up a lot of ideas from the book 'Winning Without Drugs' by Hemery.

I''ll have to wait until December for my warm weather training. Another outing to NZ. An Airbus 380 this time.

Edited: 14/02/2013 at 17:50
IronCat5    pirate
14/02/2013 at 17:50
RicF wrote (see)
Dean, I was thinking in terms of how the muscle get knocked about in the first place.

Would this have any relevance to long compression socks?

14/02/2013 at 17:59
IronCat5 in the Hat wrote (see)
RicF wrote (see)

Would this have any relevance to long compression socks?

No, its just that just because some run faster in cold weather, its quite possible they do so because due to internal friction they are creating a lot of heat and need to cool down.

As for compression socks.

I made this discovery (compression socks) in 1988. 

14/02/2013 at 19:30

Ticking along here, last few weeks have been 20, 27, 46 and 29 so far this week with a couple of runs that may edge me up towards 50.

Need to get fit to make the club top 12 for the road relays at the end of March. Top 12 looked a doddle for ages: there are basically 8 fast ones (6 proper youngsters and 2 super vets) all 5k in about 17:45 and then I was pretty at #9 but suddenly my injury has slowed me down and a few new members have posed lower 18.0x times so I need to get back into 18:30 or faster form and soon.

14/02/2013 at 19:40

Harrow was short of a runner last year at MK so I ended up doing two legs, running with a sore one.

Our team used to be reasonable until a number of runners went off to university, places like Hong Kong and tri-athlon, and wasting their time winning Half marathons in places like Wokingham.

Best memory from last year. Seeing Emilia Goreka burn off a couple of guys with a 300m sprint finish.

14/02/2013 at 19:54

Ric, how come you're so beholden to your club? You'll turn up late at night, when injured, and at short notice. Doesn't seem to benefit you a great deal.

14/02/2013 at 20:54

Session tonight 2 x 1200 (3mins), 2 x 1000 (2.5mins), 2 x 800 (2mins), 2 x 400 (90seconds).

1200 (4:13, 4:11), 1000 (both 3:29), 800 (both 2:44), 400 (both 79). So generally 5K pace with the 400s at 3k pace.

Running when ill was hard and was dragged around by 2 clubmates. Legs felt fine in the recovery but 100m in they went to jelly. so pleased with the reps in the end

14/02/2013 at 21:07
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Ric, how come you're so beholden to your club? You'll turn up late at night, when injured, and at short notice. Doesn't seem to benefit you a great deal.

SG, Have you mixed me up with someone else?

14/02/2013 at 21:32

The anecdotes add up old son, seem to be a fair few you've mentioned where you've turned out for your club when seemingly you didn't really fancy it? Which is noble, but maybe not what you wanted to do?

Probably no worse than the days of my old lot's club championship, where I turned up at 2 races one year with a fever, and a terrible cough, just to make sure I didn't ruin the whole year's work! (championship was really oddly stacked so attendance was almost more important than result!)

Edited: 14/02/2013 at 21:33
14/02/2013 at 21:53
I seem to have done two very similar sessions to yous Stevie this week. Tuesday was 20 x 1 min off 30 seconds recovery. It absolutely killed me. Up and down the sweeping 'u' shape of the industrial estate so some downhills came out at 4.30 pace and the up hills were 5.50 pace towards the end. All of it felt ridiculously painful.

I ended up having Wednesday off due to fitting some fancy fibre optic ceiling light. I spent 4 hours kneeling on the joists in my loft, curled up in a ball and after 4 hours my hamstrings and knees were in bits.

Should've bloody gone running instead!!

Tonight's session was 1000 (3.10)- 800 (2.28) - 600 (1.50) - 400 (72) all off 45 seconds. We then had a couple of minutes stretching and repeated the session but with 90 secs recovery. I was told before the session that the second lot should be quicker as the recoveries were longer but I wasn't so sure they would be.
All of them ended up being the 1000 came out at 3.06 with the 800 and 600 being a couple of seconds quicker and everyone had a blast at the 400 which ended up at 64. :-/

One lad sets off 15 - 20 metres in front of me on pretty much every rep. this is so all abilities finish around the same time. It's up to each runner to gauge where they set off from. He then blasts a 60 sec 400 to finish with. I can never understand why he doesn't want to push himself harder on the longer reps because he flies at the 400s. You only get out what you put in.
14/02/2013 at 21:56
Should say 'being slightly quicker'
14/02/2013 at 22:17

SG, In 2007 I had to have an operation that involved glands which regulated my calcium levels.

After the operation I had to endure a period when my muscles went on what could only be a 'go slow'. So from 2008 its just been a gradual haul back. 

There's been a few runs where I wished I'd not bothered but retirement is a long time. Most guys my age have either packed in running or are but shadows of their former selves.

I'll stick it out a bit longer. 

Even if I have to avoid cold rainy days

15,541 to 15,560 of 25,557 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.