Moraghan Training - Stevie G

15,561 to 15,580 of 26,773 messages
15/02/2013 at 07:48

definitely sounds wise to pick and choose your races. Which is why i'd have thought any obligation to a club would have disappeared yonks back

15/02/2013 at 13:21

SG, Can't remember if I've said this before. But I have no recollection of ever been asked directly to do a race for either of my clubs.

But I do like the credit I get for turning up as a volunteer. 

Bearing in mind the runners I'm associated with were once 14 minute 5000m, sub 2:30 marathon runners. 

Its taken me 20 years to meet them on the level. They appreciate the fact that several medals have come their way because I bothered.

Pure self interest holds no thrill for me. If no-one else benefits from anything I do then I'm not interested. 

15/02/2013 at 14:22

sg - i can see why your last club effectively threw you out

15/02/2013 at 14:39

great sessions by SS and MattL. Well done lads.

Fingers crossed your niggles sort themselves out soon Dean.

Iron - good luck at the Parkrun. The cancellation sounds frustrating but Parkrun is just as good a speed workout!

15/02/2013 at 15:06

Dean, sorry, I forgot you do all your races for the good of mankind don't you.

Ric, I am quite surprised at your first line, the way you've described numerous races was that you were under some kind of obligation! The 2am pitch black relay leg, the turning up injured, the saying you were only going to turn up for the club's benefit etc.

15/02/2013 at 16:02

20 mile Road Relay at 2am, alone the whole way carrying a baton. Man, I had guys from the club in their cars driving alongside cheering me on with people scraping me off the ground at the end. 

I'd done my bit and clawed back over 20 minutes. I was satisfied, the others were delirious. 

I am under an obligation. But one of my own making. I'm also inclined to point out to the members who do all the administration that their job is way harder than anything I get up to. 

They disagree, but I've given them the recognition due. How many thank the marshalls at the end of a race? 

The guys in the club have all turned up to close out a league or make up a team when carrying a niggle. Its what we chose to do. We chose to do it for the clubs benefit.

For this we acquire respect and status from our peers. But that can also take quite a long time. 

15/02/2013 at 16:39

True Ric, I was on the last club's board for over 2 years, keen as mustard, and I quite relished it to be honest. You get missed when you're suddenly not there I find.

15/02/2013 at 16:45

SG - yes, my races are for the good of the world....im trying to end world hunger but im probably going to have to up my mileage to achieve it to be honest...

from within the club I have recieved more praise for finishing the race last saturday and getting much needed points for my team than any of my individual races this past yr.   It came at a cost but it was worth it imo.  Doesnt mean i dont put myself first either...im not running the midlands road relays as its a day before wilmslow hm this yr.  I think there is room for both team & individual.   Im suprised its so suprising.

15/02/2013 at 17:08

Like you Dean, I'm not doing the 12 stage as I'm gunning for a cheeky 5 mile PB before we jet off to Portugal. Plus the 12 stage is a joke, even the bog clubs struggle finding 12 decent runners, 12 for us on paper looks great then in reality means you have a right mash of people.

Matt, that session was an absolute beauty! Made my eyes water. Bravo Sir!

15/02/2013 at 18:21

Dean., we're talking obligation to a club. Not scoring for a club when you can!

Cripes, I did 4 full years of doing every club race for my old lot, served on their board for 2 years, was on the summer 5k and winter xc organising boards, have coached runners to pb etc, have a thread on the go to encourage others....

What a selfish bastad eh?

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 18:25
15/02/2013 at 18:33

Jeez! SG I'm impressed.

My missus did all the catering stuff and team managing, while my lad ran, but now he's given up, so has she.

Apart from the running, I do jack!

Outside races there is zero contact between me and the clubs. 

Needless to say I never ever critise the system. Just in case of "Well, if you think you can....".

15/02/2013 at 18:50
Your the only one talking about obligation....Ric has said on at least 2 occasions he doesn't feel an obligation then you tell him he does. Anyway i think this is circular and I'm off to sort out world hunger

SS- what 5m is around that time...
Edited: 15/02/2013 at 18:51
15/02/2013 at 19:42

Run the Bridge in Halton, I was 16th last year in 29:50, so under 29 will be top 10 for sure. Decent enough course, not super fast but quick.

15/02/2013 at 20:43

Ahem....deep breaths eh lads? Sticks, and the wrong end thereof spring to mind...

From my POV, hats off to all those who marshall, organise and support both clubs and races - we'd sure be stuck without you!

Good session Matt by the way....

Double XC for me today in the muddiest codnitions I've ever known!  Again, no specific pains or problems, but just generally lethargic and slow after Wokingham. Day off tomorrow and see what next week brings. 

15/02/2013 at 20:54

Sunshine out in Hyde Park today and Mr and Mrs runner were out in force: you know the sort, he runs a step ahead of her and is into triathlon, she goes to the gym and runs occasionally but has 24 different sets of running gear. Both enter a lot of races but don't race them and are trying to beat 30 mins for 5k, 1 hour for 10k or 2 hours for half. One pair were just ahead of me as we came to a crossing and I stopped and waited for a green light. They came up and stood at the crossing doing that silly stand still running and I couldn't help but to burst out laughing.

Luckily they were all wired into iPods so didn't hear me so that is a plus I hadn't hooked onto before. I often catch the eye of serious runners and sometimes we roll our eyes at a particularly odd jogger but there is no need to do an eye roll, you can actually scream out wanker and they won't hear.

15/02/2013 at 20:56

Sounds like you're getting your running mojo back Philameno!

15/02/2013 at 21:18

Probably the same sort that mistake going into oxygen debt as an asthma or heart attack.

Or worse, the Ipod breaks down. Buggered! unable to run without music they are rendered as motionless as a waxwork.

There must be an emergency service for this kind of thing, Police, Fire and Ambulance at 1,2 & 3. Coastguard at 4. The AA and RAC at 5 & 6. Interflora at 7.

So Ipod breakdown must be 8 or 9. No good. Call an Ambulance.

15/02/2013 at 21:35

The worst is when the ipod breaks down midway through a long run. You're not only stuffed without music, but you have to carry the headfones and the ipod the rest of the way, feeling sheepish.

15/02/2013 at 21:40
Stevie G . wrote (see)

The worst is when the ipod breaks down midway through a long run. You're not only stuffed without music, but you have to carry the headfones and the ipod the rest of the way, feeling sheepish.

No, the worst involves a red hot poker. Having a dead iPod is a mere inconvenience.

15/02/2013 at 21:59

Philip, you're lucky. At least the folks around you have some kind of get up and go. Everyone round my way is fat or too busy boozing themselves into numbing sense of denial.

Everyone is also highly outspoken about their opinions about runners (or anyone not pumping iron and steroids). My all time favourite quotes include 'Get running lad' ... I am. Also "Go on Tin Tin lad get them f**king knees up" gave me tickle!

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 21:59
15,561 to 15,580 of 26,773 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.