Moraghan Training - Stevie G

15,581 to 15,600 of 25,422 messages
15/02/2013 at 22:24

Is it something in the air today? Seems an awful lot of bitterness about (and believe me I'm no exception in my current mood!). I blame that meteor.....

15/02/2013 at 22:45

Bus, it's called being sore and knackered.

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
Stevie G . wrote (see)

The worst is when the ipod breaks down midway through a long run. You're not only stuffed without music, but you have to carry the headfones and the ipod the rest of the way, feeling sheepish.

No, the worst involves a red hot poker. Having a dead iPod is a mere inconvenience.

Phil, Don't forget the cattle prod. We haven't. (Source of most sinister post of 2012)

Edited: 15/02/2013 at 22:45
16/02/2013 at 00:24
I normally just get abuse shouted at me or the odd object.

I was once heading towards a group of say 10 young lads, only about 14/15 years of age. A couple of days earlier I'd had a volley of abuse off some other young lads whilst running and this was still fresh in my mind.

This group were strung out across the pavement 2/3 deep and I could sense that not only were they forcing me into the road but they were all muttering stuff between themselves and I got the feeling I'd be on the end of a few words from them or one half wit was going to start running with me.

Unfortunately for them we were very near a McDonald's and about 5 yards in front of them was a large drinks cup from there. I don't know what came over me but I carried on running right at them and volleyed this cup which happened to be half full with strawberry milkshake. I shouted 'don't even fukcing dare!' And they parted like the Red Sea whilst the first 2/3 were splattered with milkshake.

I still wonder to this day if they were actually going to give me grief or if I just came across as some mindless idiot myself.
16/02/2013 at 07:29

Mattl, I'd say possibly to the first and definately not to the last.

The latter would have come across as 'mess with me and you're a dead man' .

Only had one incident that could have got me into serious trouble. Running around a local gathering spot, some drunk buffoon;showing off to his mates, thought it amusing to just step into my path and make me bounce off his bulk.

I didn't react to this but I did go up into the nearby woods and select a baseball bat piece of wood. For at least 10 minutes I jogged about in the hidden vicinity working out the best way to smash the guy and escape.

Well there's a saying, "Never make a decision when you are angry", its worth remembering. So, after I'd calmed down, I went on my way. 

As for groups of kids, I once ran down a narrow path and happened across about 15 of them all around 16 years of age, drinking beer and stuff.

Since they were all bigger than me it could have been awkward. Instead I just stopped and cadged a drink off one of them and had a bit of a laugh.

Didn't stop me advising them that the best way to get your moneys worth out of booze is to drink just enough to get the effects, then hold back for a while. They knew I was on their side so ok with that.

16/02/2013 at 07:59
Haha. That's class is that!
16/02/2013 at 10:20

Love it Ric, we'll try not to anger you too much now we know how your thought processes work!

No doubt like me a lot of us run defensively, and make it our job to avoid people when out on the streets, and not put any key decisions in the hands of anyone else or drivers.

Have to appreciate that we don't own the streets, so it's down to us to minimise the risks presented from the various goons out there.

People doddering around the track in the fast lane when you're clearly in the middle of a session is an annoying one. If they'd got there first, fair does, it's open to all, but if you're going to wear 15 layers, and run at 14min miling, you're probably not doing a paced session that needs a 400metre measurement, so you can do it in any lane. Is that harsh?

Not normally a problem if it's only one chap, as you just go round the once every few reps you cross paths, but when there's a couple/few, it starts to mess with your session as you're suddenly having to roam into lane 3/4 to get round.

Luckily the track is normally empty when I go there. There was this one couple of mums who brought their little 10ish year old kid a few times tho. The kid had a terrible habit of sprinting into my lane just in the middle of fast reps. Twice I had to catch him before he went flying

16/02/2013 at 10:45
I can see your point SG. When we train on the track, we use another clubs which seems to predominantly run the shorter stuff so they give us the first 3 lanes.

Our group all set off at different points so I end up overtaking most or usually the whole group. We used to shout 'track' and those in the first lane would move out to lane 3. While trying to flog myself running around, the last thing you can be arsed doing is shouting 'track' which used to confuse people and they'd end up zig zagging across the 3 lanes.

I now just resemble a slalom skier by weaving in and out or just going around the group. The coach says its prob good practice anyhow for overtaking.
16/02/2013 at 11:26

The shout 'TRAAAACK" has saved many lives down at Vale Royal AC!

16/02/2013 at 11:34

You guys have polished setups in fairness. Our track is me and some randoms. If i shouted track they'd either not hear in the wind or their headfones, and even if they did they wouldn't understand.

Wow, just got the prize voucher for men's team winners from the Wokingham half! Generous!! And an individual trophy to come too...best race ever

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 11:36
16/02/2013 at 11:43

Congrats on the impressive pb SG

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 11:44
16/02/2013 at 11:50

Alas the track. I knew it well.

Too much politics down on my local so don't go near it.

On one occasion, I had the mother of one of the kids totally unload on me, screaming in my face from about a hands width away about some apparent crime I'd committed.

I can soak up any amount of this sort of thing, so nice and easy I calmed her down.  However, just at that point young junior appeared and said, "mummy, that's not him".

Poor women, I had to get a chair for her to sit down on while she cried her eyes out. 

Bloody track! too much aggro.

16/02/2013 at 15:08

same as SS.....a hearty yell of TRACK and people warming up in lane1 jump a mile and get out of the way.  If others are doing a session but just slower i agree with Matt its just good practice to overtake at speed.

16/02/2013 at 15:51

Our track is generally runners only so everyone has the same right to lane one, if you're faster you overtake, like in a race. The people who are SO slow they get in the way do move outwards as they know the etiquette.

Young kids can be a problems as they live in their own head a bit and are naturally less mindful but they learn eventually. It would be a grind to run with ipod warriors jogging about. In my opinion you shouldn't have one on at the track regardless of how fast you are. It's just not the place for music.

SG - the Wokingham good times just keep flowing! How much were the vouchers?

16/02/2013 at 18:50

4 and a 7 today, 7 was nice, 4 was a chore. Not as bad as the 9 last night. This sickness bug is still in my system, got spots all over me and often get sudden feelings of sickness. Maybe I'm pregnant?!  

Long run history tomorrow. Will be my 8th 15+ in a  row. I think I've only managed 4 on the spin before. Hopefully it will feel like the 7 tonight  Can't wait to get stuck into some races when I'm better.

16/02/2013 at 19:51

Ss, You are gambling with your long term health. Stop running.

16/02/2013 at 20:02

Stevie, £50!

and what Ric says buddy, racing injured and running sick get you the hero points, but are pretty foolish really.

Edited: 16/02/2013 at 20:03
16/02/2013 at 20:23
Steve - another vote to stay off your feet tomorrow mate. Let the bug clear otherwise you just prolong it in your system and you will end up weaker.

Sg - that's a decent prize
IronCat5    pirate
16/02/2013 at 20:45

Track can always be fun. We start as another club finishes. They seem to cool down by running the opposite way round in the outside lane. When we train it is very mixed ability. Generally I don't have too many problems, but I have a heavy footfall so I can be heard coming a mile off

A mere 5km for me today at the new Reading parkrun course, plus the cycle commute either way. I chased a guy all the way round, we spoke afterwards and he said he needed to be chased to run fast. Win-win. Finished 5th in a 19:22 PB, so a line in the sande, or on PO10 atleast. With some appropriate training the sub 90 HM may be on the cards, and the sub 40min 10k just out of reach.

Happy days.

16/02/2013 at 20:46

£50 quid! Result!

Will soldier through the long run then next week is all recovery running with one session depending how recovered I am. Will be 50% mileage next week, plus I can sleep as much as I want, no stress of work. Don't worry fellas!

16/02/2013 at 21:09

Yep Stevie,..only way it could have been better would have been if I hadn't lashed £60 on trainers at the race, with the same people that the voucher is redeemable with! Never mind

Iron, nice to pb...personally I can't even remember what it's like to pb at 5k  Sub 90, and sub 40 are pretty much hand in hand aren't they? Do you think the 90 will come first then?

15,581 to 15,600 of 25,422 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.