Moraghan Training - Stevie G

15,701 to 15,720 of 24,134 messages
22/02/2013 at 20:32

Spot on Phil, i knew I was overcooking the 3rd one when i clocked a 1:13 400 on it!

Shocks the legs running at these paces, I can only imagine 1500 and undre racing must be horrendous, and requiring a lot more gym work (...some gym work)

Johnas, is the sub 2:45 route the one you think is the more realistic then, over the sub 1hr 15 route?

It takes a lot of single mindedness to put the sessions first at times, I'm certain past gfs have simply not understood the running programme...so fair play to you (and others) managing a full life so well!

I used to watch people go out for lunchtime runs and wonder what kind of nutters they were, and how busy they thought their lives were. Now it feels odd not to!

23/02/2013 at 08:04
Toughest I had for business and running was inside a closed city in Russia. We were not allowed anywhere unattended so to run there was luckily a very old and rutted track and we took our chaperone out with us at 5am and did a session in the cold and dark. It was more like steeplechase than laps due to the big puddles.
IronCat5    pirate
23/02/2013 at 09:34

1:30 on the turbo this morning.  It was crying out for a 2 or 3km race pace brick afterwards but the wife & kids faces said no.

Nothing quite as bizzarre as PMJ's experiences. Had a week in the US last March and did some running, though not much due to gout like symptoms in my big toe. Did plenty of swimming but no bike. Got to the airport for the return journey a little early and found the nearest Hilton and used their gym bike. Gave the concierge $15 to make sure the car wasn't towed away. It was nice to get on the plane after a shower and with the happy burn in my legs. Good sleep too.

23/02/2013 at 10:30

a closed City Phil? Like Chernobyl, and the film Chernobyl Diairies?

Iron, you're not only rivalling old Phil, but I think you are THE biggest thread globe trotter now!

23/02/2013 at 10:45

ps good luck to the Sunderland national xc-ers including one of our own posters.

Looking at fb a few from down our way heading up too.

I just don't get it really.... a near 600mile round trip for an xc race!?

When does it get decided where it's to be held next year?

Edited: 23/02/2013 at 10:47
23/02/2013 at 11:30
Its in the midlands next yr SG, alternates south, north, mids . Im about an hour away from Sunderland now heading to the race. 2" snow here! Stevie See should be there...
23/02/2013 at 11:44

good luck seb and SS. 

seb if you run like you do in the birm leagues then you will go great.  & stevie with the base miles you have churned in the last few months i think you will fly round

Edited: 23/02/2013 at 11:46
23/02/2013 at 11:45

When was it in Leeds then? Was that a full 3 years ago?

Midlands and south sound better obviously.

Unless they choose Exeter or somewhere ridiculous!

23/02/2013 at 16:34
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
Toughest I had for business.

I forgot the toughest I had for pleasure: way across to the east of Turkey where throwing stones are runners was considered a pass time

Stevie G . wrote (see)

a closed City Phil? Like Chernobyl, and the film Chernobyl Diairies?

Exactly like Sarov. This is the track, and the way they keep it closed.

23/02/2013 at 17:30

Remind me not to go to Turkey...

Right, back - with a decent internet connection!

Will read through properly and catch up later, but for now, just to say I've checked the Abingdon marathon site and it seems like I'm in. Gulp....

23/02/2013 at 20:43

Ss has just slaughtered a guy who ran 76:30 at Wokingham by 1min 30 seconds in the National.

The man is flying

Dean was right. Good call.

Edited: 23/02/2013 at 20:46
23/02/2013 at 20:55

hard to make sense of that list of random names! but 1,000+ finishers! blimey.

Will see what Stevie and Seb make of their days with interest

23/02/2013 at 20:56

on another note, in the women's results, shame Katie Brough broke the little run of  bird related surnames from 9th to 12th

9 0:31:31 Lily Partridge Aldershot Farnham & District AC

10 0:31:34 Katie Brough Warrington AC

11 0:31:46 Emily Pidgeon Aldershot Farnham & District AC

12 0:31:46 Claire Duck Leeds City AC

23/02/2013 at 21:02
RicF wrote (see)

Ss has just slaughtered a guy who ran 76:30 at Wokingham by 1min 30 seconds in the National.

The man is flying

Dean was right. Good call.

and not to spoil Seb's story, looks like he's beaten a chap by about 41 secs who did a 1hr 12 half and low 33min 10k the other week

23/02/2013 at 21:20

Whey hey!

23/02/2013 at 21:39

RicF, is that you or a young Steve Cram with a Nimbus 2000?

23/02/2013 at 22:16

Its me, with I think a Weihrauch HW35.

23/02/2013 at 22:20

Home from the National XC, what a massive day, 6 hours driving, silly amounts of snow and even more mud.

Race went well, I hit my target of top 400, by coming 354th and seemingly mixing it with some decent road guys. The race was the toughest I've run in and still been able to run well. The mud was shin deep and everybody was caked, and I do mean caked. Hopefully some pictures will emerge in the coming days, almost a seen tot be believed in some parts of the course. Calves got super tight on lap 2 and thought the game was up but they eased enough to finish. Running on your toes through mud for 7.6miles is a calf killer! Can't even stretch them easily now.

Warm up was 2 miles but you couldn't do much more than tie toe around, my feet were already freezing as the fields were complete slop and wet mush. After the race the temperature hit you again, and I didn't stop shivering for quite a while. But all in all a good experience and a pleasing result.

Was great to meet Seb who enthusiastically popped up at the end, I had no idea who you were for 30 seconds so sorry if I seemed a bit dozy. Would have been even better if we could have warmed down together but it was one of those "start the car, lets go" kind of days. What a great run by the way mate. You beat one of my team mates who was 150th (1:52 - 800m man). The other guy I mentioned came 100th (he was Cheshire champ). But I bet you have a bucket load of scalps from today.

24/02/2013 at 06:40

Yep, Seb, you beat PubPhil,, who was the guy I "race time checked"in my last post. A mixture of your apparent massive XC bias and the conditions being a good leveller!
(i know an amazing runner who was disappointed with 39th!!)

Stevie, sounds a great experience, albeit it one I think you're mad for undertaking, 6hour round trip from where you are?!? But you'e at least up north though! You should certainly be able to rival your mad year of pbs of 2011 though. Trafford 10k is it next?

Have seen the start line and as always looks mental. Long distance for xc too isn't it, is it 7.5 or 8miles or something? Bet that's worth about 10+ on nice flat roads.

The other photos I've seen look like an amazing setting, dusky lighting, snowy mud on the ground, and like some massive car boot sale vibe in the car park!

When is it decided where next year's is? I think it was Seb who said it's Midlands on the rotation, but anyone know exactly where?

And is the South one always at Parliament Hill, or do they have loads of venues in each venue? Has to be a massive venue to take 1,000 in a race!

Presume it wasn't laps?

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 06:42
24/02/2013 at 06:49
Stevie G . wrote (see)

And is the South one always at Parliament Hill, or do they have loads of venues in each venue? Has to be a massive venue to take 1,000 in a race!

Presume it wasn't laps?

Parliament Hill is the spiritual home of the nationals down south but it does not have to be there and moves round a few venues. Best I did was at Newark as there was tons of covered space to change in and dry off afterwards. All the ones I have done are laps, generally 3 laps. There are a lot of races from U13 upwards so there is often a small lap and a large lap and races get built up to hit the "standard" distances.

It is getting smaller though: my aim was top 1000 and now that seems to be the field.

Edited: 24/02/2013 at 06:51
15,701 to 15,720 of 24,134 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.