Moraghan Training - Stevie G

141 to 160 of 27,372 messages
09/05/2010 at 15:33

Ah, I didn't do it. I was just theorising based on my race times.

I'm still getting over Blackpool marathon and tried to race a parkrun yesterday. M has had me doing some HMP/MP work, but 5k was a bit of a shock to the system! Have a half next weekend, then Edinburgh marathon the weekend after (so we've just been trying to maintain some mileage without killing me) and my real training fun starts next month!

09/05/2010 at 15:56

ah fair dos...thought that would have beena  bit of a small world!

I used to find every distance race a right old shock to the system, but a simple elongated warm up , despite being scared I was using up my energy has pretty much wiped all opening mile strain.

Have about 7 5ks coming up now, so looking forward to getting stuck into them.

Hope your schedule is going well. I've never done a shorter distance race as build up to a longer one, but seems to be the sensible way to do things. I prefer it the other way round, so you know the next week is shorter!

10/05/2010 at 00:01

Sorry, just got home.  Just go easy tomorrow or take the day off.  Schedule to follow tomorrow.

Your 5m time today equates to 36:14 for the 10k according to McMillan's calc which is interesting given your comments after Shinfield!

Edited: 10/05/2010 at 00:04
10/05/2010 at 08:53

ah Lovely. That time sounds realistic, whereas perhaps the 35:40 that it predicted off my half time is a little quick at this stage.

Feel very fresh indeed today so will do the easy 4miler at lunch.

Will await your advice/check this week's schedule before deciding on an evening run or not. Might do some weights if you think that's a better bet. Although when I say weights, it really is a pathetically short session with light weights!

10/05/2010 at 18:46

Nice time S G!  The winner of the Wargrave 5k is......... 

Pb yesterday at the Bracknell half so all going well, got to admit that reading this thread has helped with my own training considerably, obviously training paces are tweaked but the sessions are pretty similar.

Don't need another guinea pig do you Moraghan? Main aim Abingdon marathon sub 3?  

10/05/2010 at 19:27
Hi mee meep - well done on the PB, what was your time?  No more guinea pigs unfortunately, but feel free to PM me for details of alternatives!
Edited: 10/05/2010 at 19:27
10/05/2010 at 19:50

Mee Meep...not sue about that! Yes I'll be faster this year and yes I was 3rd to 7th in the 5 races excluding the Marlow one I marshall each year, but there are some fast people out there...I hear Maidenhead have at least 4 people sub 17:30...and there's a rumour some 15min Belgrave guy is going to be masquerading as a Burnham jogger this series...how annoying.

Therefore could be a ridiculous situation of getting faster but beaing lower down the field!

ps today..4m easy and 6m easy...

Edited: 10/05/2010 at 19:50
10/05/2010 at 20:40

15 mins for a 5k is pretty fierce. But doing low 17s will always mean you're at the sharp end of most local races.

The other half has for some crazy reason booked us up to run a Turbo X 10 miler this Saturday, now I'm praying i don't turn an ankle or twist a knee and miss next Tuesday!

10/05/2010 at 21:28

15mins for 5k is starting to take things toward county level, especially on these courses, with none of them being completely flat and road.

I used to think Maidenhead was the fastest course, but Wargrave and Burnham are the 2 completely on road and I think that makes them better bets, even accounting for a little bit more undulation. Burnham was the one I did 17:23 on last year.

By the time you get to Wycombe and Datchet, it's harder mentally as you're almost willing the series over, and are faced by double lappers almost completely on grass! Sucks a bit of the pace away I find. Also Datchet by their own admission has been 100m long the last 2 years! I raised it with the Datchet guy in front of all the other reps so hopefully this will be sorted at least!

I love the after 5k feeling, bantering with loads of people job done. Something you don't always get at road racing.

Good luck with the Turbo thing. Is that at Bracknell or somewhere like that>

10/05/2010 at 22:47
well done stevie, keep improving
11/05/2010 at 20:20

Ta Sawney. Hopefully this is the natural upward curve i was on anyway, and Mr M's training will kick me on another gear very shortly.

Another 4 and 6 combo today, all very nice. 9min 20 first mile but that was up some steep woods, so was the equivalent of easy pace on the flat.

Looking forward to the track burn tomorrow.

11/05/2010 at 20:48

Yeah over in Bracknell, should be a laugh.

Im not sure which is the quickest one as only did 3 of them last year starting with Marlows. I do know that next week if they switched the route and ran it in reverse it would be quicker as the undulations would suit a quicker second half.

For anyone reading this thread, Wargrave 10k, June 13th, entries still available

12/05/2010 at 11:53

Forgot to post this week's sessions, although already sent by email:

W:  a.m. 4m easy; p.m. 9m inc 7 * 600m in 2:04 w / 200m recovery in 50 seconds.

T:  6m easy

F:  a.m. 4m easy; 9m inc strides, 3 * (3 * 400m) in 78 secs w / 100m jog; 400m jog.

S:  OFF

S:  14m easy.

12/05/2010 at 20:50

Wednesday at the track seems a far easier ride, as apart from 30 kids appearing and then disappearing within 5mins i had it pretty much to myself... seems tue and thur are the packed days with a local club using it.

9 mile session I'd say went 90% to plan. Better than the last one as Id eaten at the right times!

Splits  (target 2:04 per 600m rep)

2:00, 2:01, 2:08, 2:04, 2:02, 2:04, 2:04

Recoveries (aiming for 50s average)

53, 53, 56, 55, 55, 54, 53

Not quite the 50 average for the recoveries, but comes out a 54. Splits pretty much hit the button, bar number 3 which was probably surprise that the mass of kids has vanished completely from the track while I was going down the back straight...maybe I hallucinated them! That and doing the first 2 a bit too quick, even though I eased it down near the end of them.

Felt more comfortable than the last time I did this session which had longer recoveries, but I knew what to expect this time.

Just a quick one regarding the 4miler on the day of the 5k race next tuesday,  should I do this at very easy pace so as not to burn out for the 7:30pm race or is the theory that an earlier run boosts performance? Last year for the 5k I took half days and basically had a nap and ate for the hours before..didn't run on the same day.  If I run as early as say 11 or 12, it shouldn't harm the 5k in anyway should it, as it'd be a light run, and then onlya  3.1mile race? 

Edited: 12/05/2010 at 20:53
12/05/2010 at 23:01

Good session there.  We may revisit this one and push down the recoveries further before starting on the full on vo2 max repeats.  Do you think you could have done the recoveries more quickly?

If you run 4+ hours before at a very easy pace it won't hurt your 5k race.  You'll also be doing the full warm-up for the race as well.  This is the time to try different routines as you aren't peaking.  Let's try this and see how it works.

13/05/2010 at 08:40

I think last time the 1min or so recoveries felt essential, but this time the shorter recoveries averaging 54 felt more comfortable. I suppose I was keeping a little in the bank to be safe to hit the split paces. 

I think I have a bit of a safety first approach usually, certainly in races. Have never really blown up in a race, although long may that continue! Have obviously started too fast a lot in races, but that's soon calmed to the correct pace.

yep will try the morning run on the 5k race day. I completely see the benefit (at last!!) of the 2.5 to 3m warm up, after years of feeling that would kill my energy, so sure the morning very easy run will be good too.

Edited: 13/05/2010 at 08:43
13/05/2010 at 14:17

did the 6m at lunch instead of the evening, but it went good, no reactions to yesterday.

therefore, the body can enjoy tonight off but it's all go again tomorrow!

14/05/2010 at 19:51

Evening session was tough, but hit the times on the nose. 3sets of 400metres with 100m recovery in  between each and then 400m in between sets. Splits within the 3 as below

78,  78, 77

77, 76,78

78, 77, 78

What struck me on the 76 was that I thought I was doing a monster effort in the last 200m, yet it came out a mere 2 secs quicker than target pace!

Overall, pretty much achieved the aim of this session. Clocked myself at 4:43 a mile pace at one time in one effort, but I'm sure that pace wasn't held for too long!

Nice day off tomorrow, and thena  leisurely 14miler to savour sunday morn!

Saw one of the local top 5k guys at the track afterwards...seems to be injured again...so that's one place higher in the pecking order for the local 5k series guaranteed!

14/05/2010 at 22:13
Well done mate.  That's another good session in the bag.  I like the fact you didn't try and really gun the last rep of each set but kept them disciplined which is the right thing to do at this stage of proceedings.
15/05/2010 at 15:06

Turbo X done, the most fun in any race ever! 10miles of the most ridiculous ups and downs, then chuck in swamps and bogs and you never want to run on the road again! Had tight calves after about a mile even though id already decided not to run hard, did I say the hills were ridiculous!

Your training looks like its goin well SG. I bet you are looking forward to Tuesday now. Any predictions?

141 to 160 of 27,372 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.