Moraghan Training - Stevie G

16,701 to 16,720 of 27,363 messages
29/03/2013 at 14:30
Official time of 33.15. I've got a Garmin 110 and for some reason it seems to take a while to register once ive pressed start. It doesnt have the function of being able to recall the mile splits on it either so maybe time for a new one.
29/03/2013 at 14:38

Yes Matt! Nice one matey, what did you make of the course? Well done on a healthy PB, on a different course/day 32:XX will be on the cards! At least the weather was nicer than Ribble Valley! You can enjoy the glow of a PB for the easter holds now!

29/03/2013 at 16:33
Hope you mean stellar performances Johnas, Stella performances are an entirely different ball game involving fist fights and A & E !!!

Wish I was doing Maidenhead this morning....
29/03/2013 at 17:00

Well done Matt! As others have said, more to come too. I was watching this morning: whilst Salford is a quick course, it isn't the quickest...I would say Trafford is quicker, for example. It also wasn't the warmest with a fair breeze.

StevieSee: the Sale Sizzlers are on Thursdays, starting July 4th.

29/03/2013 at 17:17

Great time Mattl, well done.

Garmin 110. Ive got one. Only way to see the mile splits (default setting) is to go on to Garmin connect and upload the info. Handy way to charge up the watch as well.

29/03/2013 at 17:52

Excellent result Matti... keeps you interested in 10k's for a while longer, as Stevie S said different course, day, WEATHER, you would have mullered it....

29/03/2013 at 22:14

I seem to be repeating myself! Weird...

In pursuit of a bit of endurance I did 2 hours on the bike this evening. Very scenic route, but VERY hilly - 30.5M with about 2000ft of climbing. I feel probably just as tired as after a 2 hour run! Good training for next week though if I take the bike to the Lakes.

Anyone racing this weekend?

30/03/2013 at 09:37

We've certainly accumulated some quality runners on here as we've gone haven't we

One thing I've got good at as the time has gone, is the military style organisation of the runs...12milers before starting work etc.

Today I'd planned quite well, get up at 8am , drive to Marlow, run 10miles (combined a 6&4 as tricky to fit both in) 9.15-10.30, nicely back home to eat and get out to pick a pal up to get off to Arsenal v Reading.

Plan has slightly gone wrong, getting up at 9am  Therefore it's going to be a little tighter than ideal!!

Bus, on the route I'll do today, I saw a guy cycling up this really steep bit at Winter Hill. That must make running up it feel like going downhill!

30/03/2013 at 10:14

SG, best shelve plans for Monday unless you want to come out with some Wycombe Phoenix guys: Jonny Cousins is back (he won the Wycombe 10k in 2011) and we are doing a run from near the Rye up to Hughenden and round and back.

Still trying to find a path through Warren Wood to Sheepridge, there is a path marked on the map but I'll be damned if I can find it. Will try it tomorrow in reverse as i have foud one end of it so will start at the other and work backwards. 207 miles so far in March so the first proper month training since March 2012. April and May were good months for races but the mileage dropped off.

30/03/2013 at 11:07
Matt, great stuff indeed. Low 33s is happy days indeed, and sounds like you're in the middle of an improvement curve that'll carry on for a while.

Managed to make the 50 metre trip to Woodley parkrun this morning. Weeks of watching it from my window and not being able to run it had obviously led to a level of frustration, cos I set off like a blue arsed fly and had built up a lead by a couple of hundred metres. Too fast probably, as the remainder hurt. Finished first in 16:54, which is my fastest on that course by 30 seconds. Still only 10k pace, but its not the fastest course and there was a good bit of wind in my face. 3m warm up and 1m warm down to make 7 for the day.
30/03/2013 at 11:24

Session of 30 x 40 seconds fast, 20 seconds recovery. Two miles to warm up plus another two afterwards to avoid freezing. Covered nearly 4 miles during the faster sections. 

Could be a period of bits and pieces. Difficult to concentrate right now.

30/03/2013 at 12:36

Phil, surely you don't just mean the path up the woods at about 12.2miles into the Wycombe half, that takes you up to the old airbase, and then you can get to sheepridge up there somewhere?

Gotta get the right course for a park run Dachs, but sub 17 is tidy on anything!

There's something about 5k that invites flying off fast, and yet, if you do, because 5k pace is already at your limit, you're obviously going beyond the limit and can die a death...unlike at other distances.

30/03/2013 at 12:39

Ric, is it not easy to forget what rep you're on when doing 30?

Phil, don't worry about Monday, after singles of 10 today and 12 tomorrow, probably best I do them in doubles.

Nice 10 in 1hr 12 ish around the Winter Hill route. Hardly any mud but the first half had rampaging winds. I tend to plan these runs to the nth degree timings wise, but managed to get up an hour later than planned, putting stress on the rest of the day!

Off in a min to be an "away" fan at the Emirates. Hoping Reading can beat them. Not because I support them, but because it's handy having a Premier league club so darn close!

30/03/2013 at 13:04

SG, The watch is running continously. To keep count all I have to do is note the number of whole minutes.

Forty seconds of running is easy enough with the odd glance at the watch en-route.

Once it said 29:40 I was finished. HR tracked gradually upwards throughout the session, topping out at 175bpm. On top of things, still had bounce to spare at the end.

Not sure what other runners thought of my antics, with me catching them up and 'going away' .

Garmin said my average pace was 7:42. That includes around 10 minutes of standing around. 

30/03/2013 at 15:05

Tempo done, 2 x 2miles. 5:48, 5:51 (lap jog) 5:55, 5:52. Was pretty tough at the end but a step in the right direction to cracking this tempo running lark. An easy 4 later with a mate to loosen up.

Had my first real stitch during my warm down - stopped me dead in my tracks! Horrible buisness!

30/03/2013 at 15:19

SG: rep tip (given to me by a swimmer)...rep 1 = A (and you can think of any girls' names/boys'names/animals etc beginning with A), rep 2 = B, rep 3 =c, Rep 26 =z, rep 27 is A again etc etc. It works, and not only that it helps with concentration/takes away boredom/reduces the desire to pack it in etc etc!

30/03/2013 at 15:41
alehouse wrote (see)

SG: rep tip (given to me by a swimmer)...rep 1 = A (and you can think of any girls' names/boys'names/animals etc beginning with A), rep 2 = B, rep 3 =c, Rep 26 =z, rep 27 is A again etc etc. It works, and not only that it helps with concentration/takes away boredom/reduces the desire to pack it in etc etc!

The way some guys hammer themselves, the only names will be oaths.

Rep 1 Arse, Rep 2 Bollocks, Rep 3 C..t, Rep 4 ..

30/03/2013 at 16:17
Philip, where are you trying to get into Warren wood.? Up by hard to find farm or from Winchbottom lane? I used to run there from work and there are paths through.

Managed 7M hilly this morning. Felt ok, only mild pain at end. Sore quads now after that and yesterday's bike ride.
30/03/2013 at 18:23
Legs feel ok today surprisingly. Just a whopper of a blister on my foot to contend with. Good solid run there Dachs.

Stevie see- I enjoyed the two lap affair. At least at half way I knew what was coming. I didn't realise until I got there that I used to drive down the road where the start and finish was for the best part of 4 months when working on a site in Manchester. It certainly felt flatter than the ribble valley.

Alehouse, I dont mind the cold but that wind that was head on down the back road was a touch annoying. I can't pin 16 seconds of my time on it though unfortunately.
31/03/2013 at 08:49

Bus, SG, this is the path I am hunting for: shoudl be massive, called the Chiltern Way. I can find the start at Winchbottom Lane and that is hte steepest climb up the earthworks, but once you are at the top there place is riddled with 4x4 tarcks and finding a path that doesn't drift too south or to north is as hard to find as Hard to Find Farm itself (and that really exists as a place name).

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-OVCLApyTWIE/UVfpt8Fp0bI/AAAAAAAAAF4/7_jq-LmPAF0/s955/ScreenShot.png

16,701 to 16,720 of 27,363 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.