Moraghan Training - Stevie G

16,801 to 16,820 of 26,762 messages
03/04/2013 at 21:47

Had a rather unsettling phone call from my niece (blond age 22). Has decided to start running so that she can do the Black Park parkrun.

She wants me to help. My first inclination is to jump out of a window. A newbie! and one of my own relatives no less.

03/04/2013 at 21:50

Blonde and 22 you say Ric....

Phil, very true, the end figures are what you'll be quoting in 20 years. All the other stuff is mere anecdotes. It's those hard figures.

Edited: 03/04/2013 at 21:50
03/04/2013 at 22:18
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Blonde and 22 you say Ric....

Phil, very true, the end figures are what you'll be quoting in 20 years. All the other stuff is mere anecdotes. It's those hard figures.

Yep. For most people it is the journey that matters but for those watching it is where you end up that counts.

03/04/2013 at 22:19

I thought that might draw you out SG. 

04/04/2013 at 07:59

Ric, I'll stop there Ric, as any light hearted cheekery could well come across badly over the written word!

Phil, "Journey?", this aint some episode of X Factor!

PC2
04/04/2013 at 08:56
Stevie G . wrote (see)

I'm sure we all know some running Diva's though...

04/04/2013 at 09:27
PC2 wrote (see)
Stevie G . wrote (see)

I'm sure we all know some running Diva's though...

Far too many. I am fed up with trying to be polite to people who are introduced to me as "runners" and want to tell the take of how they used to be 24 stone and could barely walk to the bus top and now they have taken up running they can almost do a parkrun without stopping to walk much in under an hour and are down to 20 stone.

04/04/2013 at 10:46

I had a "glorious" pedigree as a kid.

2nd last in the year cross country race at about 13
2nd last in the "house" equivalent of about 25kids.
Almost collapsing after an ill advised attempt to out sprint a pal at 16 at the end of the Wycombe funrun...
Barely being able to run 2laps of a 400m grass track when joining a footy team at 19.

Then i suddenly realised that at the lowest level of footy it's a simple equation. fittest on pitch = most effective player on the pitch

erm the conclusion? Phil, don't worry about them, they're the type of people who will think you're an absolute hero for doing the times you do...embrace them! 

04/04/2013 at 10:56

so, racing wise, I'd planned a double of Marlow 5 and Charndon 5k 2 days later.

Last night I thought i'd check the Charndon details.Could barely find anything.

They've changed the venue, to Cottisford? About 5miles further away I think.

Asked the pertinent questions to the organisers....got the reply below back

Yes course measurement certificate came yesterday, UKA certified – 2013-105785,  Yes it will be Power of 10, as for the course there is a 1 up and down “dip” of no more than 50 metres down and 50 metres back up at just before 2k so probably slightly faster than Charndon as no railway bridge at 3.5k.

Phil, how do you think that would compare to say Wargrave or Burnham 5ks for instance? Those are probably more undulating wouldn't you say?

I guess it depends what gradient 50metres up is! If it's Treadaway/Plomer Hill gradient it's tricky, if it's 12miles in at the Wycombe half gradient it's not much!

04/04/2013 at 12:44

bit of catching up to do since easter:

Nice sessions from Dean, Dachs and PC2. Some pretty speedy speed stuff from you all.

Won't be long before you're joining them Phil. Looks like the long base building is now rearing it's head in the pace of your runs. perhaps you can teach Bus the secret of patience

I can sympatise with the cold Ric. Was wondering how I managed to avoid it all winter but have had a head cold since Monday myself. Not helped by the fact that if I look at my window right this second, it's bloody snowing again! Hope you get better soon mate.

The wind and snow were present last night for my 'Track Tuesday' which has been rejigged due to tapering: 8x 5mins @ threshold off 60 sec recoveries. Average pace across all 8 was 5.39 min/mile. easy miles now until Paddock Wood Half Marathon on Sunday

04/04/2013 at 13:46

Kind of like tempo reps then? Quite unique

04/04/2013 at 14:26

guess you could look at it as 8x 1500 @ c. 10k pace

04/04/2013 at 15:48

around 7 1/2miles at 10k pace? Are you sure your coach isn't just one of your enemies trying to burn you into the ground?

04/04/2013 at 16:04
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Phil, how do you think that would compare to say Wargrave or Burnham 5ks for instance? Those are probably more undulating wouldn't you say?

Burnham is much worse: two hauls up Crown Lane and accordign to Garmin about 90m up.

Wargrave is the single hill up at the end which is about 50m up.

Odd thing is that Wargrave should be faster than Burnham but is it comes before I think people are more rusty and slower out the blocks.

04/04/2013 at 16:11
Stevie G . wrote (see)

around 7 1/2miles at 10k pace? Are you sure your coach isn't just one of your enemies trying to burn you into the ground?

Haha... you could be right! It's taper time now though so, besides the MP Half Marathon this Sunday, every other run this week is easy or at recovery pace. It'll only be a 60 mile week

04/04/2013 at 16:31

People used to say exactly that to me Johnas, so it's good to use that line myself to someone else!

i now just need to find some people to criticise their diets!

Its an interesting idea doing MP effort halves. If I ever amazingly found myself becoming one of you marathon people and was trying to do the same, I'd probably set myself up an alias name for race entry for PO10 reasons...

something like  M.P. Effort

04/04/2013 at 16:34

Phil, I generally tended to do Burnham quicker. Mostly I think as you have a bit of a downhill start, and some nice sweeping downs. Combining that with my naturally fast start it just seemed to suit me. Got a 3rd there one year.

Wargrave on the other hand I seem to remember has a bit of an incline to start you off, so the force is taken off you a bit, and despite a downward incline early on, that hill is badly positioned pace wise.

At least Burnham has a hill right at the end so you know you can smash it then just lie down!

In an ideal world the 5k I'll do won't be a steep 50metres, and then that takes the pressure off for a couple of fun 5ks in that series. As it's non PO10 anyway, it probably makes most sense to just run as a guest, rather than bother to sign up with a local club and have to get a vest etc...

04/04/2013 at 16:49

I was faster at Burnham than Wargrave too in the only year I ran them both by a massive 5 seconds! I was 12th to your 3rd SG

04/04/2013 at 16:51

Cheers Johnas. Catching a cold satisfies my inner sloth. A valid reason for doing nothing though going out working is always going to take priority over running.

One advantage of training is that when a cold appears, by not continuing to train through it, I can get rid of it (the cold) really fast. All the energy put into running goes into fighting the infection.

SG, The footballers v runners game. Remember a game between 16 year olds. Footballers against some runners. The footballers went 2-0 up pretty soon but then the runners just scooted all over the place and reduced the footballers to walking pace. Put 7 goals past them after that.

In your type of game I imagine the 'inner thug' would take over and end up trying to 'take you out'. Come on ref, he's just taking the p, what do you expect?

Phil, we keep quiet about our level of running to lesser mortals. 

One guy in my club was a college lecturer and during some college sports day let some student beat him in some race of some description. The fact that 'our man' was a 2:04 800m runner indicates his generosity.

However, the student started going on about a local HM and challenged the club man to a race. Yes of course. OMG.

Anyway, back at college after the race the student searched out the club man lecturer and asked why he didn't run the race. "Oh I did". Puzzled student said "well I waited for you at the finish for 30 mins and you didn't arrive". The club man asked what time the student ran. Answered 1:48. Ah that's why you didn't see me. Why? I did 1:14. Ouch!

04/04/2013 at 17:07

Best race I ever did for kind gradients was the now discontinued Woking 10 mile. The up-hills took the form of a couple of really short steep ascents adding up to barely 100m with the rest of the course flat/downhill.

Did I really go through 4 miles barely breathing in 21:49?

Only to tear a muscle half a mile later. Bugger!

16,801 to 16,820 of 26,762 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.