Moraghan Training - Stevie G

16,821 to 16,840 of 27,308 messages
04/04/2013 at 17:12

Guys - sorry for butting in here slightly - I normally just read this thread from afar...

I'm a bit confused by the PO10 stuff - I signed up the other week so I could monitor progress etc. and when I tried to enter race details, I got redirected to runbritainrankings.com and had to set up a profile there and enter my previous "race" efforts.  What's the distinction?

04/04/2013 at 18:10

long time ago Johnas! I reckon we could have some quality battles over 5k these days. But it would rely on me racing a little bit less foolishly than at Dulwich! It would be interesting to see how much time that very fast first km cost. Clearly you'd have to go down as the favourite

Ric, definitely right. Fitness generally outdoes skill at the lowest level. But of course it does depend on the level of skill!

My first game in the 4th tier of the local Sunday league was against a team called Bird in Hand, 95% a vets team . I thought nothing of it. Until we got smashed 6-0.

I came off thinking if that's the standard of the 4th tier of the local footy combination I'm screwed.

It wasn't. They included a couple of current semi pros, a guy who was only 34 who'd played for Stevenage in the conference! Marlow's current manager, a guy who used to play for Wycombe, and a bunch of other local faces!

They won every game in the league that whole season, and the best result anyone got against them, was us losing 2-1 in the return! I managed to give some of their old boys a right runaround, and scored a tasty 20yarder against Marlow's goalie of the time

Probably one of the "Highlights" of my footy career, along side playing against an ex Premier league player in Mike Keen (when he was 60!), and scoring a stack of goals in a practice game, being watched by Wycombe Wanderers manager John Gorman! He came over at the end, asked my age, I said 24, and he said "right". If I'd been 16 it might have come to something

Actually there are loads more highlights, I loved those days, but I'll hush up now, unless some mad lurkers especially want more tales

04/04/2013 at 18:13
Calum Crighton wrote (see)

Guys - sorry for butting in here slightly - I normally just read this thread from afar...

I'm a bit confused by the PO10 stuff - I signed up the other week so I could monitor progress etc. and when I tried to enter race details, I got redirected to runbritainrankings.com and had to set up a profile there and enter my previous "race" efforts.  What's the distinction?

Howdy....the 2 are just linked these days. But they seem to be shunting more of it, such as rankings over to Run Britain.

RB gives you an overall handicap as well, and a position based on the "Bucket" ofyour results, whereas PO10 will just give individual rankings only.

A lot of us think the RB system is a right load of pony, as often you can improve your ranking by running a slower time than you already have on the table, or it can go down if you've actually gone faster!

04/04/2013 at 18:23

SG, just imagine how you'rd run em off the pitch now.

Edited: 04/04/2013 at 18:24
04/04/2013 at 18:27

haha, but unfortunately although the fitness has gone up still, the desire to play football is rock bottom, and the desire to risk getting an injury is below that!

IronCat5    pirate
04/04/2013 at 20:51

I have nothing worthy of posting, not running for the week to let my sore achilles repair. Nothing but bike work. I have delusions of swimming tomorrow night, but can't in all honesty see it happening.

Still, I'm aiming for Shinfield though I may be away in the US for a week or so, getting back midday on the Saturday...

As usual you're all smashing the session.

04/04/2013 at 21:13
Stevie, I actually played a game of football last night. First time since November and I think the second time since a cup final last may. It was only a local 6 a side league but although getting 2 assists in a 3-1 win it confirmed my football days are over.

Had no desire to go flying in like I used to and made sure I stayed well clear of any bother. The missus gave it the 'go on, how did it go?' when I got home and she got a 'naaah, not for me anymore'. At least 5 days a week I used to play, sometimes a couple of games a night midweek. It wouldn't bother me now if I never kicked a ball again.

been really heavy legged all week after Fridays race and Sundays 21 mile. Hoping I get some life in them for Saturdays fell race where im hoping to pinch a county vest for the fells.
04/04/2013 at 21:18

Hey IC,having nothing worthy of posting never stopped me 

Calum, once registered with your dob, club name etc then Po10 will pick up your results automatically and RB will too.

Up in theLakes now-very nice! What a journey though! The hamstring tendon aggravating the sciatic nerve (i presume) was sending excrutiating pain and spasms up and down the leg everytime I was sat driving for more than anhour! Not idealfor a 300 mile trip! Still,managed a 5M,1500ft fell run just below the snow line over Barrow and Stile End whihcwas fantastic, with only a bit of pain and gave me a chance to recce part of Saturday's race route. Will see how the leg holds hp tomorrow, but a little ironic that fell running is much less painful than driving!!

IronCat5    pirate
04/04/2013 at 21:27

Sounds like a good week so far Bus.

PC2
04/04/2013 at 21:34

Got a second session in tonight, probably the first time since June I've got to the track twice in a week. The plan is to keep up the Thursdays and do shorter reps, the middle distance group train elsewhere and I go in with the 200-400m guys. Today was on my own though, and of my own design.

8x200m with 200 jog rec at target 800m pace (29s).
Ended up 31, 32, 32, 32, 33, 32, 32, 33 with 50-58 on the recovery. Pretty tough as our track is always windy (on top of Greenham Common) and today was worse than usual - all the excuses but I think thats the few seconds difference.

A nice way to destroy the legs in just under 12mins!

PC2
04/04/2013 at 21:36

Iron - a message on the Shinfield 10k Facebook page says its not Po10, not sure if this influences your decision

IronCat5    pirate
04/04/2013 at 21:41
PC2 wrote (see)

Iron - a message on the Shinfield 10k Facebook page says its not Po10, not sure if this influences your decision

Cheers PC - that was me asking the question on Facebook. I'll have a think.

PC2
04/04/2013 at 21:51

Fair do's! Alias names can be so helpful can't they

05/04/2013 at 07:59

What a bunch of anoraks we all are, mailing organisers to find out if races go on PO10.

Remember the days when we just selected races at random without any thoughts to accuracy, PO10, being a fast course etc

PC2, thought those 200s looked around what I could do

Bus, enjoy, but take it easy. For the first time in our racing career (probably), you're in a "Dream Team" now....and we need you. It's too late to wheel some ringer in now.

05/04/2013 at 11:59

All is done, SG and bus.

Need to get a track session in sometime but the wind and snow mean that I just don't want the fuss of going fast and then slow for a whiel and cooling down and just want a steady so no track this week for me.

Off to Austin, Texas, tomorrow, seems to be a tarck out there, Austin High Track so need to break into a school out of hours ....

05/04/2013 at 15:38

Bus - Hope you're having a lovely holiday too and don't do anything stoopid tomorrow. The temptation is going to probably be too much for you to handle so have a nice race mate but be sensible.

to everyone else, happy running (or holidaying in SS's case)

05/04/2013 at 16:30

Phil, i'm up there tonight if you did fancy joining, if not for the 3.5mile warm up.

but i start 5.30ish

Bus, yes be sensible...me and Phil are relying on you.

05/04/2013 at 16:58
Will try and take it sensibly chaps. As it is a revised course, there is no time pressure, so will just set out as a social run and see how it goes. Just need to be very careful at the start as there is a short uphill cavalry charge, followed by a mile downhill dash through the village for mile on tarmac to get position for a very narrow section that starts the climb proper up to Grisedale Pike. Went for a walk with the family round part of the course and apart from a few snow patches, the route looks in good condition.

Have a good time in Texas Philip.
IronCat5    pirate
05/04/2013 at 17:45
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

All is done, SG and bus.

Need to get a track session in sometime but the wind and snow mean that I just don't want the fuss of going fast and then slow for a whiel and cooling down and just want a steady so no track this week for me.

Off to Austin, Texas, tomorrow, seems to be a tarck out there, Austin High Track so need to break into a school out of hours ....

I've found a track next to my hotel in San Fran (going out end of April). Again a high-school track. Let me know whether you get arrested or not. I have a weekend out there too, so will do some good hill reps

05/04/2013 at 19:50

You jet setters eh!

Right, 4x1200 at 5k off 90sec was the session tonight.

I was roughly aiming for 4.00 a rep.

Bit windy out there, and i did think "Hmmm" when the first one came out as 4.01, as usually reps tend to start a bit quick for me.

4.01,4.00,4.06,4.01 was the outcome.

Although some old school stomach issues arose for reps 3 and 4, they didn't cause rep 3's slowdown. That was completely down to the onslaught of wind for that rep, that hadn't really been there for the first 2 reps or rep 4.

It's never still on this track, being at the top of a steep hill by a motorway, but rep 3 was amongst the highest level of wind I've found up there.

Still...these are the sessions that build the resistance and pbs!

Classic feeling during of working hard. Mixed with 20mins later hardly feeling like I'd run. Pretty much mirrors the 5k race experience

49miles done Monday to Friday, feel quite fresh off that in fairness.

16,821 to 16,840 of 27,308 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.