Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,001 to 17,020 of 25,972 messages
14/04/2013 at 15:22

My weekly mileage is my major let down... Av 43 in Jan, 41 in Feb, 33 in Mar and 40 so far this month... Do really need to be pushing this upto 55-60, but as I've mentioned before I'm a lazy sod...

Had a bit of a disaster today, entered the Bridgwater 10k, and on paper it looked a fairly quick course, 1st mile 6.05 with 2nd 6.08, bit quick and had the benifit of the wind at that point, but was feeling very comfortable... 3rd mile 7.54, hit a few hundred meters of mud (complete surprise, or I wouldn't of entered), and I don't do off road, so completely zapped of energy and ended up walking... Ended up with a time of 43.22, which'll is about right for tempo sess...

Need the wind to piss-off now its getting boring!!!!!!

14/04/2013 at 15:38

Mud's not good in a fast 10k Blue nose! Presumably the fast imes on that course were when it was dried hard.

Philip - looks like you are hitting the pace again. I hope I can regain a bit of speed for Marlow so I can at least give you a bit of a challenge!

Stevie - seems like a break is defintiely in oreder mate...(same for you Matt!)

SG - that's right NO stretching at all I'm afraid. Very bad I know, but at least with fell running it's not as damagingly hard on the legs as fast sessions despite the hills.

That said, I really felt the hills in my legs on todays long run attempt. Had to work really hard to stretch it to 11M, to make just under 44M and 10,200 ft of climbing for the week. It wasn't helped by the realtively high temperature or the shear amount of mud (whihc was a surprsie as we didn't get a drop of rain oop north!).

14/04/2013 at 19:15

can't imagine not stretching these days I really can't.

It's all a far cry from being about 21 and arrogantly telling a team mate at footy i didn't bother with all that. Before getting a ticking off from the manager. I understand why now!

15/04/2013 at 07:51

After 2 pretty big weeks, cutback week this week, and a couple of days off, today & Thur.

Main session of the week is a 7miles starting MP, ending 10k pace Wednesday rampage.

12miler is on the saturday this week, if Bus, or Phil, you fancy something scenic, maybe the classic Marlow route or elsewhere.

Bus, do you have a working from home day this week?  Maybe the MP to 10k session might suit (wed), or maybe just a 4 or a 6 (if it's tue or fri)

15/04/2013 at 08:08
Stevie G . wrote (see)

12miler is on the saturday this week, if Bus, or Phil, you fancy something scenic, maybe the classic Marlow route or elsewhere.

Will be at London marathon on Sunday so need a longish one Saturday. What time are you thinking of as I need to take #2 back to uni?

Looked at the fast long legs from Saturday, Ben Livesey and Phil Wicks equal 9th, Scott Overall 7th, Andi Jones 17th.

15/04/2013 at 08:34

Reasonably flexible, and ironic for me to say this with my early sundays, but not too early!

Who the heck are doing the fastest legs if Phil Wicks and Scott Overall are only 7th and 9th?! (i pose that question in shock, but will obviously now look to check)

15/04/2013 at 09:19

stevie - what Philip meant was out of everyone who ran long legs they were the 7th/9th/17th fastest out of the whole field.

PMJ - even though you are on a comback you still beat 70+ runners.

looking at my own its hard on the ego scrolling down to 190th for my name but on the upside there are still a good chunk of runners after me.   my 10k ranking in 2013 in the open is 189th so i shouldnt be too suprised.

15/04/2013 at 09:24

I got that Dean, i was wondering who the guys were who could beat 3 chaps who've represented their country!

This is a hard question to quantify, but what kind of coverage does an event like yesterday get in the top runners? As you'd have to run for one of the teams who've qualified for the final for starters.

15/04/2013 at 09:27

top runners tend to migrate towards top clubs.  i would imagine most of the top boys were running on saturday

15/04/2013 at 11:44

I thought i'd analyse that a little deeper Dean, as my first thought was surely one event couldn't get most of the top runners.

Taking the top 200 runners at 10k this year, only 51 were at the event. (I've corrected where i could where a name is Philip in the relay results, and "Phil" in the po1l0)

Only 6 of the top 25 were there.

Clearly there's the chance that a lot more who did the relays haven't done a  10k this year and thus the number is lower than it could be...

However, just a bit of analysis for those who get hot from stats

15/04/2013 at 12:37

sure, of course a lot of guys havent raced a 10k in 2013 yet or might have run a short leg or not run at all.  i guess a top 200 list from last yr would be a better list to use. 

bottom line i guess is, im one of those 51 who attended and is on the top 200 runners list this yr and i ran well but finished 190th, there were an additional 140 who arent on that list beat me and in my opinion they were good runners

15/04/2013 at 13:02

SG - There are a few other factors at play too.

3 of the top 10 runners on the long legs (and presumably, tactically, most of the fastest guys would have been running long legs) don't appear to be British nationals, so won't appear in British ranking lists.

You will also have quick guys who focus mainly on track in there, who won't be running too many road 10Ks.

Bear in mind that VLM is next weekend, and people like Scott Overall and Phil Wicks are running that.  Runners may or may not have been going all out with that in mind.  Even if SO was running at 80%, he's still probably quicker than the guys his club left out of the team.  Of course, he may well have been running at 100%, but will have been doing marathon specific stuff so may not have the short distance sharpness.

Etc

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 13:03
15/04/2013 at 13:43

yep, all valid analysis points

15/04/2013 at 14:51

not nearly as scientific but i choose a nice round number & the chap who finished 100th has a 10k PB of 31.03 in 2012.  He hasnt run this yr but would be 41st in the 2013 rankings.

anyway is anyone racing soon?  i have a 3000m on sunday but treating it as a temperature check to work out where im currently at in relation for a 5k tilt

15/04/2013 at 15:17

too much to catch up on since Saturday but looks like Dean & PMJ both put in some nice racing; Bus, Stevie See & MattL need a (well deserved) lie down; SG's got a tasty tempo on Wednesday, and Tim & Dachs put in some nice long runs. oh, a Bluenose had the misfortune of visiting Bridgie At least you could get out after 43 minutes

4 day working week for me and I'm surreptitiously following the Boston Marathon on twitter as we speak. Elite Men have just started and the Elite Women gone through 10k in 36mins so are taking it easy by their standards.

Link

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 15:18
15/04/2013 at 15:54

On a monday? Quite odd day for a big race?

Almost feels like that taper feeling today, extra rest day, but feel warm headed and a bit knackered! Like the body is rebelling against the lack of exercise.

Edited: 15/04/2013 at 16:00
15/04/2013 at 16:10

always held on the 3rd Monday of April - Patriots Day in the good ol' US of A SG.

15/04/2013 at 19:16

Not much to report today. A 3 and an 8 nice and easy. Well, I say that but my evening easy, as ever, got out of hand and a few MP miles popped up at the end! Too many hotties down the river dog walking, jogging that needed to see me in elite mode!

15/04/2013 at 19:20

I misread that as dogging for a second

Trained a girl I used to work with for a bit tonight. Very light session, some light drills, a few couple of hundred metre jogs, constant running for 2mins, then a break, and some slightly faster short bits. Probably covered about 1mile or so in total!

Sometimes you forget that so little can be quite an effort for others, we are privileged to have the fitness! Was quite interesting to see it from another angle for once.

15/04/2013 at 19:50
*insert joke about what angle SG was monitoring from*
17,001 to 17,020 of 25,972 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.