Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,021 to 17,040 of 26,706 messages
15/04/2013 at 20:00
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Reasonably flexible, and ironic for me to say this with my early sundays, but not too early!

Who the heck are doing the fastest legs if Phil Wicks and Scott Overall are only 7th and 9th?! (i pose that question in shock, but will obviously now look to check)

So what is not too early? Say 8:30 run and be done by 10:00 and then I will be ready by 11:00 for parental duties.

Lots of discussion about fast legs above but obviously some tactics in there with good runners running solid legs in the middle of the race so Belgrave were 22nd after the first leg with Phil Wicks obviosuly being told to hold first. Obviosuly a bit of a scary moment when Will Cockerel who is a 15.5x 5k man took 15.5x for 3 miles and dropped 40 seconds back but the last two legs saw it in. Amazing how the big teams were just solid all the way down and Cardiff looked to be out and home dry and then a 28.xx long leg drops them out (and that was faster than Dean so no slouch by any means).

15/04/2013 at 20:01
The training or the dogging?!

No run for me today, but a 14.7 and 18.6 on the bike. The ride home tonight was really nice, with little traffic and warm, if a bit windy. Did the legendary Kop Hill. Also clocked a couple of miles at 2.28 pace!
15/04/2013 at 21:09

Looks to be some bad scenes at Boston....looks horrendous.

Phil, we'll confirm later in the week, but if that's what you can do I'll fit in with that. We could have a little scoot to Marlow.Do the 10 we did the other time, with a couple of miles bolted on somewhere...

15/04/2013 at 22:27
C**ts
16/04/2013 at 08:40

erm, indeed!

Evening plans, so morning and lunch today. 6 ticked off so far.

Standard run, decent pace, on and off tightnesses that seem quite hard to expunge. A bizarre one as it comes out in the right hamstring, but never worsens, but never completely goes. an oddity.

16/04/2013 at 08:52
In bed. Sore throat, body aches, nose blocked, sweats then cold.

Bugger.
16/04/2013 at 09:01

Cold virus seems to have given up at last. Today being the first day for two weeks when I woke up feeling I'd like to go for a run, instead of feeling like I ought to go for a run. Saves a lot of damage opting out.

A couple of miles jogging along at what I assumed was 8 minute mile pace. Garmin revealed an average of 7:11. HR was only in mid 140's.

Couple of strides of 200m at 5:41 & 5:34 pace to round things off.

Ordered pair of New Balance racers. Already have a pair of RC1600's which at 150 grms have an unusual amount of support and cushioning.

The new NB's are called MRC5000Y and weigh 90.5 grms! 

Just read that Johnas. Sod!

Change of plan maybe?

Edited: 16/04/2013 at 09:03
16/04/2013 at 09:10

Johnas, extreme taper feeling maybe? Hopefully a couple of days will rest that off and see you better for the end of the week.

Ric, good to see your cold go, it's ben about 3months hasn't it?

16/04/2013 at 09:25

Johnas, hope it's only a fleeting thing that disappears quickly, you've really put the work in for this.  You never know though.  Last year, before the Wokingham Half I spent Wednesday to Saturday feeling like crap.  On Sunday, I PB'ed by a massive margin.

Fairly light progression run last night - 2m easy, 6m progressive, 2m easy.  Progression was 6:25, 6:08, 5:53, 5:38, 5:34 and ... er .... 5:36.  Unfortunately, I hit the wind head on for much of that last mile and it rather shot down my target of 5:26-5:28, as did a sudden feeling of bloatedness.  Decent run anyway.

Just found out that child #2 got into the same school as child #1.  This means that come September, both kids will be going to the same place at the same time, and will hopefully enable me to maybe up the distance on my run commute and get some more miles in.

16/04/2013 at 09:35

That's handy Dachs! Good progression paces there. I echo your earlier sentiment over Boston too....

Ric, looks like the weather and your running have both got significantly better at the same time!

Johnas, take it easy - lots of fruit and veg, get some echinacea and fingers crossed you'll be fine in a couple of days. Who knows, the enforced rest might actually do some good.

16/04/2013 at 09:57

keep the faith johnas, you will be right come race day.  +1 for echinacea

Dachs - another session on the road i know i couldnt do on my own.  nice work.  whens the next next race?  time to harvest a PB?

16/04/2013 at 12:23

Dean - I'm keeping my forthcoming race schedule nice and low-key!  But there could be as many as 5 (all 10K or shorter) over April/May, so hopefully there'll be a PB or two in there.

Interestingly, 5:38 ish pace is feeling pretty much the same as 5:43 ish pace did a couple of months ago when I ran Wokingham at 5:42 pace.  So, if I had a flat Half on the cards I could be aiming for sub 74.  Unfortunately, I don't have a flat Half on the cards ...

Edited: 16/04/2013 at 12:24
16/04/2013 at 12:37
Cheers guys. Still time to recover. Wife reckons its a 24 hour virus (she's a nurse). Just hope she right. Normal resting HR 48. Current 68
16/04/2013 at 19:47

Don't panic Johnas mate, all will be OK. Lots of water, rest, fruit and veg. But most importantly... sleep! I'm sick as a dog too so heading to bed in an hour!

16/04/2013 at 20:50

Johnas.. Hope the wife is right... Just seems loads of it knocking round at the moment...

Dachs... Can see a lot more than a PB or two, if your doing five races, cracking sess mate...

IronCat5    pirate
16/04/2013 at 22:15

Evening all...

16/04/2013 at 22:49
Evening! Don't know why, but had a horrible 5 miler yesterday and struggled at 7'30 pace.. I blame my gym session on Saturday of squats, clean an presses etc after a park run in the morning. Sunday's run was fine, also at 7'30" but by Monday, my legs were really stiff.
Today, ran a comfortable fartlekey session of 8 miles mainly on undulating forest trails. Heart rate up to 180 on the steps/hills.

Keeping under 50 miles this week, then will start increasing again next week.
Would 5 miles per week be ok do people think? I was running 60-65 up until a month ago..
17/04/2013 at 04:04

SG, my cold was the same as the rest of Britain, it's called winter. As Bus said, my running improves with the weather.

5000m Track race on Saturday. Last one I did was about 10 years back when I ran 17:00:31. Maybe I should have gone for a dip finish. 

I ought to go sub 18 minutes but haven't raced all out for weeks, so the system may get a bit of a shock.

17/04/2013 at 07:59

Tim - if you are already used to running 60-65M just a few weeks ago, then there should be no harm at all in increasing by 5M. In fact, you could jump back up to 60, as long as you are not over doing any increase in intensity at the same time.  There's been plenty of occasions when I've done 4-5 weeks at around 40pw, then shifted straight up to 60 with no ill effect.

Ric - for that dip finish to have worked, you'd have needed a bit more hair!

Double XC for me yesterday - 7.5M am, then 5.5M pm. After last week, it's left my legs pretty shocked! Going to try and see the GP today for a referral to an NHS physio as, although I can run on it (albeit not at any pace), the hamstring/sciatic/tendon thing isn't getting any easier when sitting down - kind of ironic that I can run over mountains but can't sit at a desk!

Might try a road session with a mile or two of something a bit faster in the middle today.  SG - what's your session today? I might be about, depending on the Dr appointment.

Morning IC!

17/04/2013 at 08:00

Tim Natrajan wrote (see)
Evening! Don't know why, but had a horrible 5 miler yesterday and struggled at 7'30 pace.. I blame my gym session on Saturday of squats, clean an presses etc after a park run in the morning. Sunday's run was fine, also at 7'30" but by Monday, my legs were really stiff.
Today, ran a comfortable fartlekey session of 8 miles mainly on undulating forest trails. Heart rate up to 180 on the steps/hills.

Keeping under 50 miles this week, then will start increasing again next week.
Would 5 miles per week be ok do people think? I was running 60-65 up until a month ago..

Tim, pace is secondary and follows from the aim of the session. What was the aim of the 5 miler? I bet there was no particular aim as a 5 miler is too short for any real purpose (you need a couple warm up and cool down so not much meat left in the middle) and the idea of a 5 miler is a recovery run and 7:30 pace is more than fast enough for recovery, maybe too fast.

In regard to miles, again I don't really like plans where the measure of the plan is miles. Miles are easy to calculate and convey so are a simple aid but the reality is that you can get one guy on a 45 mile week doing a 2:50 marathon and another on a 70 mile week looking at 3:10 or 3:15.

What is your current aim? I see you nicked under 3 hours at Dubai in January (surname like Natrajan makes it easy to find you) so are your shooting at another marathon or shorter distances?

Edited: 17/04/2013 at 08:00
17,021 to 17,040 of 26,706 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.