Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,081 to 17,100 of 26,209 messages
19/04/2013 at 09:36
Tim Natrajan wrote (see)

The 5 miler was meant to be a recovery.. thought I should do them at Easy pace (I'm getting my paces from Daniel's running formula)..

I'd be very caustious about applying a pace calculator to recovery runs. You of course don't want to do recovery runs at a snail's pace, and neither do you want to cane them, but generally I find that I run recovery runs with no planned pace and they work out fine. If you monitor routes and paces you can see that as your fitness increases, the pace of your recovery runs wil naturally pick up.

19/04/2013 at 12:33
SG, did you explain to the whopper in the office that you prefer it to sitting on your arse waiting for a slow and painful death? If that's his logic you should've asked him what the point of coming to work for a wage was if he's not going to make himself a millionaire by doing so.

Johnas, best of luck with the marathon. Your training has certainly opened my eyes on what it takes to post a decent time. Hope the weather and everything else goes to plan and you get the time you want.

Tried my first proper speed session last night for what seems like the first in ages. Went ok. Feet up now ready for next Saturday. 10-12 miler on Sunday and just some short runs through next week.
19/04/2013 at 12:36

SG - what a prize tool your workmate is.  Can't imagine anyone in my office having a go like that, and they'd certainly get a mouthful back if they did, despite the fact that I am generally a fairly meek soul. Did you show him your tumbler from the Wokingham Half to illustrate how un-pointless it is?

Just to give you some validation - having spent a good portion of my life aimlessly mooching around like 90% of the adult population, it feels a hell of a lot less pointless to be working towards running goals in some of my spare time.

Tim - good work on the spontaneous race.  Can't imagine running around an airfield is much fun in current wind levels.

Johnas - so marathon target is actually closer to 2:40 than 2:45 given those paces?

19/04/2013 at 13:22

Tim good racing there! Odd distance.... 

SG - The guys an arse. I get semi-humorous comments like that occasionally, and they always seem to take a special pleasure in seeing me limping! I always tell them that I'll be limping for a few days but will be back running for the next 30 years, whereas their heart attack/fatness whatever will be permanent!

Johnas wrote (see)

Bus - you are an anomoly. can't walk one minute, monstering xc the next. I guess this is the issue when nerves come into play. just a 50 mile bike ride today then?

Just a 20 miler home tonight . It is all a bit weird when the sciatic nerve gets involved. When I've had proper sciatica before there has always come a point where it just seems to switch off again and let me have my life back! I've just survived sitting through a 3 hour meeting with just discomfort rather than pain, so hopefullly I've turned a corner....

How was the expo?

19/04/2013 at 14:24

Hi Stevie

As a long term lurker I just wanted to post to offer you some support.

I am a pretty poor runner, well compared to you guys, and on my 40 miles per week average mileage can mange a 43 minutes 10k. Last year I bust my bollocks and managed sub1:40 for a half and 3:52 for a marathon. At present I am aiming for a sub-75 10 mile. Amazingly I am proud of this as I started running after stopping playing football 5 years ago and was slower then than now!

To many people the mileage I do seems stupid and occasionally you get a daft comment. But at the end of the day I enjoy going out for a run and feeling fit. Most people in my office are positive and say they admire my dedication. So ignore this guy cause he is knob cheese.

19/04/2013 at 14:31

10 at lunchtime on legs that felt good, nice for a change.

SG, I reckon I'll miss that 12 tomorrow as my plans are very fluid so if I wake up I'll do parkrun else I'll can it.

19/04/2013 at 14:48

stevie - ignore the tool, its the same as saying its not worth playing 5 a side as you will never play at wembley. 

Stevie See - did an 800 warm up and strides in my zoom victory spikes and they are obscenely light.  3.2 ounce per shoe. unless you are flat out the running position seems odd to me so i wont use for the 3000m but will for my vets 1500 in 10 days.  Mine are the blue & white ones.

Tim - good work on the mobberley race, was tempted to do it myself for tempo purposes but it clashed.

IronCat5    pirate
19/04/2013 at 17:04

I'll see what I can do for the wind on Sunday Johnas. Good luck for the VLM. I am always amazed at the pace of the pointy end of the marathon runners.

Chin up SG - we all have those days. Go and run it off

I've run around a few airports. The problem I find is that at some point you have to do a long stretch in to wind. Nice for takeoff, not for running.

Bus - I remember hurting my sciatic nerve playing squash. I couldn't work out why my knee hurt so much until the doc told me about the sciatic nerve.

Here is a taster for the weekend. Have just finished work at ny hotel desk

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/553795/gallery/20130419_172828.jpg?width=350

19/04/2013 at 17:16

Ta for the support chaps.

The motivation never wanes, it's just the constant interrogations that drain.

A gorgeous hour in the dentist chair just topped off my week, but a nice 4miler now will hopefully smooth everything out

19/04/2013 at 17:17

phil, at least that gives me a lie in....

maybe you or Bus, can somehow fit a leisurely 12 in lunchtime on?

19/04/2013 at 17:18

Johnas... NO. Never want to race a 1500m! Unless I did a double at a league meet with a 3K as a training day.

Good luck at London, your training has been really interesting and will certainly inform my (if I do one) marathon training. In fact... I shall steal it all!

SG, tell that guy from your office, Stevie C says "you're a massive c**t." Should sort it.  We all have it from time to time, I've even had mates drunkenly dragging me down, saying what's the point, you don't even run marathons blah blah. Rise above it all, and remind yourself of what you've achieved.  

19/04/2013 at 18:20

SG, My first thought was that the guy in your office was a tool, then noticed that Dachs had already got in with that assessment.

To be really provocative towards that guy SG may take some nerve.

You could just say that despite his jibe, you actually like him. In fact, you like him loads. But considering you're a hetrosexual male, you're bound to like a good c**t!

19/04/2013 at 18:46
Stopped off at the track on my way home for my first ever track session alone. 16 x 200 with 200 m recovery targetting theoretical mile pace, so approximately 35s. Divided into 2 sets of 8 with a 400m jog in the middle.

34, 35, 35, 35, 34, 33, 35, 34, 34, 34, 34, 34, 34, 34, 33, 34.

Reasonably short and sharp session, not used to more than one speed session a week, so didn't want to push too far. I'd usually thrash 200s, but 34 felt reasonably controlled.

Still feels a bit odd to be on a deserted track on a Friday evening though.
Edited: 19/04/2013 at 18:48
19/04/2013 at 19:50
Stevie G . wrote (see)

phil, at least that gives me a lie in....

maybe you or Bus, can somehow fit a leisurely 12 in lunchtime on?

Out driving at lunchtime. When do you get next week's plan? I have to be in on Sunday so will look to go long on Saturday 27th, 12 to 14?

19/04/2013 at 20:10

i'd imagine a sat long run is a one off im afraid1

Dachs, looks a pretty fast set even at comfy! You're in a good place!

20/04/2013 at 09:51
Dachs - Well spotted I plan to go hard or go home. nice session btw! Have a feeling once this marathon is out the way I may be on a summer prescription of 200s myself

Fingers crossed youve turned a corner then Bus. Expo was good and nice to meet some mates that I haven't seen in a while. Got to shake hands with Mutai, Kipsang and Makau too. Will be the closest I get to the elite this weekend!

Tried the new Adidas Adios Boost too that the elite guys will be wearing. They're definitely springy and feel much much softer than the current Adios. They're not available to mass market until August except for at the expo where they're selling out everyday. A massive marketing coup for Adidas.
20/04/2013 at 11:03

I'll be out when you're in battle Johnas, but will look you up asap after. Best of luck old son.

You've worked really hard over a long time, put some monster sessions in, and deserve a real crack at target tomorrow.

ps Dachs, friday night track on your own? Standard.

20/04/2013 at 13:45
Johnas, what's your number? You can track a runners progress I think through a link on the vim site.

That's if you don't mind.
20/04/2013 at 13:46
VLM not vim. Ha
20/04/2013 at 16:00

Cheers SG. And cheers everyone else for the best wishes. currently chilling, feet up with a wide selection of carb based goodies all within easy reach

Tracker opens tomorrow morning and is here Matt: http://results-2013.virginlondonmarathon.com/2013/

17,081 to 17,100 of 26,209 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.