Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,101 to 17,120 of 25,949 messages
20/04/2013 at 16:06

Good luck Johnas and good luck Iron!

Anyone else racing tomorrow?

Off for a nice LSR in the sunshine in about an hour....

20/04/2013 at 16:51

Just back from the first track race I've run in 10 years. What fun! First time I've been lapped. Twice!

Can't cut too many corners with this running business, though the Garmin made an excellent job of it, making me out to be operating at 20 seconds per mile faster than the reality.

A nice list of excuses first: It was windy, I'd had a cold, I haven't run much due to the freezing winter, I've had so much work on I even did some this morning (and according to the lad) old, fat and smelly.

Well had to come up with something having just puffed around in 18:30. 

HR reached 173bpm and that was that. Top sustainable limit for me these days. 177 bpm on the line, so at 105% of theoretical maximum I should be dead.

WAVA Had me down 14 years ago with my first 5000m as 79.32% with a 16:35. To match that today I needed to run 18:29, so close.

Even to match my best ever 5000m on WAVA, I only needed 18:20.

Maybe I should do some proper training for once. Four weeks until the next race.

Edited: 20/04/2013 at 16:56
20/04/2013 at 17:27

Not bad run there RicF. How was the track? I find that the biggest factor is the wind and the competition: provided it is a still day and you have a few people at your pace it is a nice day out, windy solo 5000m (12.5 laps) are soul destroying things.

Did Wycombe parkrun this morning in 19:13 for a new PB on that course so fingers crossed I will start to turn the runbrtiatin rankings back to a state where they are going back up and not falling each week. Last weekend's 12 stage came into my 5 current basket of rankings so I hope this weekend will as well.

20/04/2013 at 18:06

Thanks Phil, a good run yourself, aren't they always when progress is being made.

The track ticked all the wrong boxes. Nice chill breeze flowing down the finish straight only counteracted with interest by having to face it alone on the back straight for the entire race.

Actually lapped a couple of runners who; unlike myself who moved out into the second lane when being overhauled, just stuck to the inside.

Still reeling from having discovered my second claim club managed to get an entry to the Round Norfolk Relay. I didn't think they could get enough runners to sign up so was kind of relived I wouldn't be called upon to do one of the 'Graveyard Shift' legs. 

Never mind, I'll be ready for it this time. 20 miles at mid-night anyone?

Edited: 20/04/2013 at 18:08
20/04/2013 at 18:39
PMJ - my runbritain is falling each week, and I'm in the form of my life. It's a bizarre thing.

Ric, nice effort with the track racing. I wouldn't fancy 12 and a half laps at any point.

Best of luck Johnas. I will be tracking you as you smash it. Enjoy.

Best of luck to Iron too.
20/04/2013 at 18:56

nice race Ric. Humble as always with the WAVA thing. It's that high as you're that high a level as a runner, so no need for playing it down old son.

And forget what your son says when he says you're fat, old and smelly. Having met you I refute totally that you're fat.

12 for me today. 7.02 easy pace, but could feel a slight dull hammy nag the whole way. Not entirely sure if this needs a bit of rest, some more physio rehab, or is just something to carry on through. I guess we'll find out!

20/04/2013 at 19:25

Decent outing Ric, also quite nice you get to have another crack in a month. You can see how you're progressing. Phil also, another encouraging step toward full fitness. Think I'm doing a parkrun next Saturday (a flatter one) to get race sharp for the Bristol 10K on the 5th of May.

12 x 2mins (2mins rec) over hilly trails. Lots of the effort hit steep hills, which was actually what I wanted! Aimed for what felt like tempo effort. I'm off out for an easy 4 when it gets dusk.

20/04/2013 at 19:52

Some nice runs again today chaps. Decent day out Ric (and if your son was my son he'd have sore ears!!). I certainly don't fancy a midnight 20M!!!

Good to see the parkrun progress Philip. Funnily enough I considered Wycombe this morning as its pretty dry, but didn't wake up in time due to an unscheduled Game of Thrones watching session last night!

Good long run for me tonight. Back to a proper distance of 14M, hilly xc (the route we did Philip). Dry conditions meant a reasonable pace for the route of 8:25. Gambled on trying a brand new pari of shoes (Adios XT4) and they were great - light, nimble and confy). It'll be intersting to see how well they last as they're not made of much!  Nice and sunny too - even went for the old barechested look for some of it!!

20/04/2013 at 20:59

Cheers for that guys.

My lad is just playing along with my gradual demise as a runner. Never known him to level a genuine insult at me, though has ventured the odd challenge, as he should.

As for WAVA. Its just a refuge of last resort for the ageing runner.

Once when I had a result that was a bit sluggish, I always felt I could turn it around quite quickly, 36:49 to 34:50 in three weeks for a 10k for example, or even more extreme,a 5k in 17:45 to a 10 miler in 56:15, again just 3 weeks later.

Don't think I could do that again.

21/04/2013 at 11:31

Interesting looking at the VLM tracker and splits just now....

Did my own marathon this morning, going through 26.2M in 1.46! Cheated though, as I used a bike . Total 28.2 VERY hilly miles with a mate. Beautiful morning for it, though perhaps too sunny for the VLMers, but hopefully the building cloud will help.

21/04/2013 at 12:29

This London tracker is amazing.

Following 10 pals progress alone! Frankie's out there as well as the big man Johnas.

7 of them are going to be massively under 3hours!

21/04/2013 at 15:55
In before johnas tells his story.

3000m race for me today. Plan was to treat like a high end tempo/speed session , hit even splits and come in around 9.30. Was over excited on the first lap with a 67 so calmed it down. My km splits were 3.02, 3.05, 3.04 for a 9.11. So nice and even running and certainly wasn't fading at the end, so bodes well for christleton in a month. I ran the whole race as a solo time trial as 2nd place came in nearly 40 secs later.
Will have a read back to see what everyone else has been upto
21/04/2013 at 16:54

Nice race Dean, how I'd kill for a 9.11. Did that give you an indication of how quick you could go over 3K full steam? 8:50ish? But all is looking good for Christleton, I'm doing a parkrun Sat then a 10K a week later. Most my 5k specific training will kick in over June/July for the Sale series.

Johnas had a good one I see! Not suprised considering his great preparation. My training partner also ran 2:48:57 too, that REALLY got me thinking... then did 12.5 miles hilly XC and quickly forgot any ideas around the marathon!

21/04/2013 at 18:41

Yep, and he got the pacing pretty  well under control as well by he look of it.

Nice 3000 Dean. very tasty splits!

Hey Stevie - it's only like doing 2 of those back to back 

Track for me tonight. First quality session for 6 weeks and it hurt! Did 6 x 800m with 400m jog rec, but had to split it into two sets with a 3 min recovery! Wasn't helped by starting off too quick or by a fierce wind. No wind anywhere except Handy Cross! Anyway, reasonably happy with the splits on tired legs (52M running, 88M bike for the week)

2:43, 2:45, 2:47, 2:45, 2:48, 2:48

21/04/2013 at 19:06

Well done on that run Dean. Sobering to see that you averaged faster for 3000m than I ever managed for half the distance.

Only ever run one 3000m (the second will be in July) took me a lung bursting 9:52.

Wasn't going to do anything that night at Watford but when a three times National XC champion asks you to pace her mate to a sub ten; as a third rate male runner, you feel its the closest you're going to get to greatness (and maybe lucky later).

Well, Miss National XC did about 9:20 and I spent seven laps wondering if my name was Maria (much support for Maria) Needless to say she sprinted past me on the home straight with me reclaiming my own name, modest time and anonymity. No luck later either!

21/04/2013 at 19:08

Back to the 'Bus' sessions... it's like you've never been away!  To help, there was plenty of wind and rain during my long run so you weren't the only one feeling a bit miserable. Reps were more than solid though. 800s are a nasty distance to rep I reckon.

21/04/2013 at 20:29

Ric, that's one hell of a 3K anecdote! Quality

21/04/2013 at 20:59

Ss, there's another one about a 3000m.

A guy up the track did a sub 8 for one for one those. Around that time he had a fierce rivalry with a somewhat abrasive character, so when he fielded the time, choose to keep quiet about it. However, he wasn't getting away. The exchange went:

Andy: Alright John, what about that 3 you were doing, any good?

John: Ok, yea it went ok.

Andy: What time?

John: You don't want to know.

Andy: Come on, what time did you do?

John: Andy you really don't want to know.

Andy: Try me, I can handle it. Its not as if you broke 8 is it?

John: Ok then, Seven fif...

Andy: YOU F.....G C..T!!!

John: Well I did say.

Edited: 21/04/2013 at 21:00
21/04/2013 at 22:05

Home at last. Will write more of a report tomorrow but lets just say i was beaten by the conditions and have the sunburn to prove it. Autumn marathons are far more preferable!

I cant really complain with a 6 min PB but just felt I had more in me than a 2.43. Still, a few months ago I would have bitten your hand off for a sub 2.45 and that was always the main goal so mission accomplished.

However, it hurt today. Last 6 miles were horrible. Ive always ran such comfortable marathons with negative splits that today was a lesson that was due. Still, Champs start for next year.

On another note, people are right - there's nothing quite like the atmosphere of London. The crowds were incredible! Just wish I could have enjoyed it and soaked it up more

21/04/2013 at 22:37

Dean.. Nice 3000mtrs, used to love doing track races, wouldn't do it now, it'd kill me...

Johnas, one word FANTASTIC... And your not happy BRIILLIANT....

17,101 to 17,120 of 25,949 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.