Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,121 to 17,140 of 24,133 messages
22/04/2013 at 00:00
Johnas, great stuff indeed. You can't be too disappointed, surely. Have to say that, of those I was tracking, you held it together in the final stages better than the majority. Anyway, you need to leave some slack for next time out!

Had some fun tracking this one, think I was following about 13 people. Watched a clubmate have a stormer, looked like he was going sub 2:30 until the last few miles

Speedy 3k from Dean too, with more in the tank.

I notice Frankie and DT2 in the results too.
22/04/2013 at 07:04
Johnas, sounds like a touch of post marathon blues. Don't worry though, over the next few days your achievement will sink in and you''ll see your 2.43 for the truly outstanding performance it is, especially in that very warm sun.
22/04/2013 at 08:29

Johnas, like i said to you yesterday, I personally think that's a fantastic time, and well deserved from all your hard work.

I told you the 2 people you were around in the field, that's the sign of the class you're now in.

However, I can appreciate that hunger in you of wanting to crack on and better it again!

Dachs, I had about 12 on the go in the end, went on facebook and realised i could have done plenty more! Then got the old red button up and watched a fair few of them finish.

The guy who stood out, was a guy who seemed to limp very heavily for the last 100metres or so, yet still did around the mid 2hr 30s! How long had he been limping home for, what could he have done without the pain!

Dean, on the other side of the scale, a low 9 3k sounds fast to me, and Ric, will be interesting to see how you go too.

Got a couple of days off which is just what the doc ordered after a terrible work week last week. Meant to be a 6&4 today running wise, but driving to Manc at midday means I'll just do a single. Probably merge the 2.

Would like this bizarre quite tight and a bit twingey nervy type hamstring/glute ache to go, but will press on for now and weigh up run by run. I expect tomorrow's hard session, after a heck of a lot of driving today will be the crunch!

Have a good day folks, catch you all sometime tomorrow!

22/04/2013 at 11:12

Dean – nice 3k. Takes me back to my junior days when I was a 3k racer. I remember finishing 4th in a National final (B Stream though) when I was about 14 yrs old in 9.4X (can’t remember exact time, think it was 9.48). Can still remember the burning lungs.

Thanks for all the kind words peeps. You’re all right of course, I should be pleased with yesterday. I'm not going to write a blow by blow description as to be honest, I wasn't that far off the plan! In previous marathons I’ve finished strongly but yesterday, instead of feeling good and stepping it up at 18 miles, I slowed and it felt like I had nothing left for the last 10k. It was a real battle.

I knew early on though that I just wasn't 'feeling it' if you know what I mean. Maybe too much pressure to perform? At previous marathons and in the half marathon races during the build up I felt great on the start line but yesterday it just wasn't there - there was no spring in the step. I'm sure you all know what I mean by that.

Whilst the weather was sunny (I've got some lovely sunburn) it wasn’t hot hot and the conditions weren’t too bad. However, the weather was different to what I had trained in and I think it affected my fuelling and this was the key to the fading. Unlike when training for Autumn marathons where you train in summer and take liquids on board on your long runs, I didn't do that once over this marathon prep and as such, drinking whilst running just felt alien. I took gels at 10k and then about 22k and honestly can’t remember taking a third one. The plan was to take 5 (one every 30mins) but I still had 2 in my pocket at the end. I also didn’t take any sports drinks at all which was my plan at every 5 mile point. I think I grabbed water about 4 times, mainly just after taking a gel to wash away the taste as they were making me feel sick but not to ‘drink’ as I just couldn’t stomach it. In the conditions, this was a big mistake.

In reality, if I’d got the fuelling right, I think I could have finished stronger and remained on pace to finish around 2.40 - 2.41. A sub 2.40 (which was the secret stretch target) was probably just a bit too optimistic in reality and hence my initial disappointment. I know there’s more to come in the future though and I learnt a lot yesterday. Today I can appreciate that I achieved what I set out to do – a Champs start for 2014.

On another note, the crowds were just simply amazing. I expected some quiet areas but there wasn’t one – I’ve never seen, heard or experienced anything like it. Just wish i hadn’t faded so much that I didn’t get to truly enjoy it when I needed it in those last miles but wow, what an experience.

22/04/2013 at 12:08

Johnas - funny that, when i saw your splits i thought there is a man who is going to be very happy with that performance.  From afar it looks like you had an excellent training plan and delivered it perfectly.  Maybe by the weekend you will be grinning and be less harsh on your race. There are runners that miss targets by 10-20mins and yet you lost only a couple of minutes off plan.  that shows your calibre.      Im sure you will look back on this as storming race.  Congrats. 

by the way johnas you alone hold the key to me running VLM next yr.  I want to see how post marathon can bring on injuries etc.. so if you get injured in the next 2 months and have a sustained period out (hopefully not).  i might duck it. So many have that its a reason to avoid.  Of course fingers crossed you stay fit.

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 12:13
22/04/2013 at 17:47

Unreal result Johnas. Your training was quite an inspiration at times. I was only thinking at the end on my 12.5 miles yesterday that if I had to I wouldn't be able to tempo the last 2 miles. Yet, this was common for you to tempo parts of 18/20 miles runs. A champ start was the target so in that respect you have smashed your target. I think the result has only opened you up to what you can achieve in the future, but don't let that dampen the feeling of success.

I certainly see the benefits of an Autumn marathon, nicer weather and for me, I get the whole of August off to hit some big training. Berlin and Frankfurt look the best ones at that time of year? Maybe, just maybe...

22/04/2013 at 18:02

Berlin is great - did it last year. Already sold out for 2013 though. Frankfurt is faster apparently. I'll find out in October  Come and join me!

Dean - I had an injury free return after Berlin in September. Went straight ino 10k training for Brighton 10k in November and then into this phase of marathon training. I'll be following a similar plan over the summer, working on speed by training for 5k and 10k before starting my Frankfurt build up in around August. Hopefully i can show you it is possible to run marathons and stay injury free *touches wood!*

22/04/2013 at 18:09

Johnas_ Well done on your result. From your report of a virus earlier in the week I was surprised you even made the start.

Whether or not you can feel symptoms of such things, it's odds on you had something taken out of you by it. My suspicion is that when you tried to ramp up the speed; and discovered something was missing, that's what was taken out.

At least you went sub 2:45.

A club mate of mine who happens to rank as just about the fastest V50 in Britain with a 2:33 from 2011, ran this years race having deferred last year due to injury.

I don't think he had a good run.

I heard he had injured himself again having run 1:56 for 20 miles at Bramley, so was really surprised to see him on the telly. 

The splits tell a grim tale. Sub 3 hour had already gone by 15k, and then slowing all the way down to 9 minute miling. 3:19 finish time. That must have really hurt. I fear he's done himself in for another summer.

Last year he recovered with a 55 minute at Cabbage Patch. What chance this year?

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 18:15
22/04/2013 at 18:17

Ric - I think you're spot on. Just back from a massage with my physio and he reckons exactly the same. He puts my 'just not feeling it' (like i said in original post) as not being completely over the virus. I may have been fit enough to run but I wasn't race fit. But as you say, mission accomplished in the end

22/04/2013 at 19:56

Johnas- Without wanting to put a dampener on proceedings, I think it may be advisable to spend the next two or three weeks jogging about only.

You'll know for sure when any after effects of virus and marathon have gone. You'll wake up one morning and have the urge to sprint out of the house.

To a lesser extent, today was the first time since I caught a mild cold when I didn't wake up still tired. Wide awake fresh at 6:00am. Thought I was supposed to be recovering from my 5000m, instead it was 8 miles XC at easy sub 8 min pace. If I wake up tomorrow in a similar fashion, it could be double figures.

22/04/2013 at 20:48

Johnas - if you can do a 2:43 when not race fit then you are in a good place!

If you do have any latent bugs though, post marathon is when they'll bite you on the arse - at the risk of teaching my grandmthen other to suck eggs, as well as resting (that is no hard sessions!)  make sure you eat for England (especially protein, fruit and veg) and take full strength echinacea to stimulate your weakened immune system....

Here ends the message from the Echinacea marketing board 

....Well, almost - double xc for me today. Slow and slow! Not surprising after the last few days and the hamstring is still causing issues, but not as bad as before and I have been pushing it so will persevere...

As for Autumn marathons, why travel to Berlin or Frankfurt when you can do the world famous Abingdon 

22/04/2013 at 21:23

because your running it and I don't want to get dusted by an oldie!

A very slow (7:50) 5.75 miles today, legs just not at it today. Looking forward to a taper week after next. Long overdue sustained ease down.

IronCat5    pirate
22/04/2013 at 21:47

Well done Johnas, amazing result. As Bus & RicF say, take it very easy and scoff loads, drink loads. I started back too early after last year's ironman and should have taken a good month off, and another just bimbling around.

Dean - cracking 3000m. Last week this number meant nothing, much like 800m in the summer. Suddenly I can relate to that distance and know the effort I put in.

Good track race too Ric.

So the long and the short of the European duthlon champs: Run course was like Parcour for the first lap until the field split up (~260 people off at once through a start gate 10' wide - TVXC was good practice).

1K1: 4m13s. 2K5: 8m36s. 3K6: 13m53s 5K: 18m26s so a new 5km PB by 56s.

T1 was disasterous.

Bike was 2 laps of 10km course and it was very busy, especially trying to maintain the 8m separation.35m21s for 20km

T2 was a speed 48s

Run 2 was 2.8km on dead legs. Managed a 10m49s - legs didn't get going until ~800m before then end. Smashed a sprint finish with 2 others

Priviliged to have worn the GBR on my chest (and backside - though I'm sure that only said G|R). Fantastic weekend all round

PS: The Chef was first GBR home, and commented that the first run pace was a bit fast. 14:47!

Edited: 22/04/2013 at 22:06
22/04/2013 at 22:40

Well done Iron - what an occasion to be wearing a GB vest/weird tri-top thingy for! The bike leg sounds a VERY tasty pace to be keeping up for 20k, and pulling out a 5k pb by such a big margin  on the first run leg just shows the power of running for your country I guess (something I will only get to know about if there is a supervets champs and I'm still runing at 75!!)

Stevie See - cheeky whippersnapper! Besides, I seriously doubt I would dust you these days, even over a distance you've not done before!

22/04/2013 at 22:45
Dean - great 3000 there
John as - brilliant work yesterday in London. If you got that with a virus!
You guys are inspiring!
23/04/2013 at 00:50
Iron - great work representing GB, must be a hell of a moment. Fast first 5k, and, although the bike splits don't mean anything to me, I shall take the word of The Bus that they are tasty.

Johnas, the good thing about marathons is that there is always a quicker one in you somewhere.

Did 10 tonight incorporating 2x 3m as mini progressions. Idea was to do the first 2m at reasonably restrained tempo pace, enough to work up some fatigue, then do the last mile working up through 10k pace to finish at 5k pace. Really, the session is all about that final mile, and was done with 5k training in mind.

First set was bang on with 5:54/5:45/5:22. Second set was a bit of a mess though with 5:35/5:55/5:31. On that last set, the 5:35 was too quik, reined myself back for the second mile, and then couldn't quite hit paces for the last one. In fairness, that particular mile (mile 9 of my usual 10 circuit) usually comes out slower than others due to twisty bits, uneven surfaces and an unlit section, plus tonight I had a headwind to contend with, so I'm happy it was the right effort level at least.

Then fell asleep on the sofa and woke up in front of the snooker. Hence my late post.
23/04/2013 at 09:45

Good, hard session that Dachs, even with the second set going slightly adrift pace wise, if not effort wise. One to think of for later in the year...

23/04/2013 at 09:47

Iron - like Dachs I have no understanding of tri or cycling standards but can appreciate if you've got a GB vest on, then that's a pretty high standard right there! Congrats on your weekend racing. Sounds like you generally had a blast and great weekend away too. As for The Chef - remember he's got all the right toys (his bike is a bit special!)

Ric - hearing you. I've given the wife instructions to hit me with a baseball bat should i go near my trainers this week. Next week will be a few light recovery runs, probably off road if the weather stays like this, so as to keep the pace slow and easy on my joints

Bus - sound advice. The sore throat is actually back as was some mucus this morning so clearly havent shaken whatever it is. BIG fruit salad breakfasts everyday this week, green salads and chicken/turkey for lunch and tasty meat and 2 veg meals for dinner. Will seek out some echinacea at lunchtime

Dachs - please excuse me if i ignore any posts containing the words 'progression' 'tempo' 'pace' or 'threshold' in the coming days

Edited: 23/04/2013 at 09:57
23/04/2013 at 12:37

last London Marathon related post I promise. Ever wondered what it must be like leading the VLM? This Heathside club runner does! Nutjob but f**kin funny

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCqSXbayHh0

23/04/2013 at 13:26

Brilliant! 

And see him here (in black and looking like he's really straining to go like the feckin' clappers on the left of shot) on the iPlayer highlights at about 16:10!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01s59fn/London_Marathon_2013_Highlights/

17,121 to 17,140 of 24,133 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.