Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,141 to 17,160 of 25,544 messages
23/04/2013 at 16:20

wonder what time that guy finished in. That kind of sprinting at the start must seriously take some recovering from!

Iron, I have no idea what your post means, but GB = quality. So top notch there pal.

Dachs, that sounds like an attempt at a typically touch session, and re-arranging the splits slightly looks tasty work

Got in at 2am last night, so enjoyed a nice sleep through to 11am.

Then I had to go and do a 35min 3min segment MP/HMP sesh.

There's always a little stable of elements for any given run, where you think if they were all present at the same time we'd all just quit. So, the tiredness from yesterday's drive, a bit underfuelled, and the weather suddenly being hot, made me think this'll be fun!

Luckily the aches didn't really impact, so I rampaged 5.92miles in the 35mins. Worked out as an average pace of 5.55, which is you think fastest end HMP is 5.45, and slow end MP is 6.10, nicely kinda sits in the middle ish.

I think the 0.9mile loop I prefer to do these type of sessions works well, as it's ever so slightly undulating. So you get the "high" each lap, both in elevation, and in motivation.

It certainly beat the idea of 24 laps on the track, or 6miles smashing across town!

Icing up now though!

23/04/2013 at 16:54

Good session SG. Bodes well for Marlow, just keep that hamstring under control!

That guy finished in 3:03,  but it looks like he won't be disappointed with that as he already has a sub 2:45 under his belt from last year to get in the champs start and his "challenge" was to lead the London Marathon at the 400m point! 

23/04/2013 at 19:26

Quiet this evening?

Nice sunny, hilly 10.4M xc for me this evening. Legs feel a bit mashed but pace was OK overall for the terrain (8;27). That will have to do as my long run this week as I'm racing on Sunday. 

23/04/2013 at 19:38

why would someone who's a pretty decent runner basically put their whole race at risk for a pretty pointless mission of leading a 26.2mile race for...less than 0.2mile. Bonkers.

At least when I used to put my races at risk with a ridiculous start it's for less silly reasons

3m easy just to open the legs up.

12miler at 7am tomorrow...then pretty much 2 whole rest days. which I think it's fair to say will be glorious.

Nice long xc job Bus. Must be really hilly for that average pace!!

23/04/2013 at 19:50

If anyone's seen 'Run Fatboy Run', you may remember the scene when Simon Pegg and Hank Azaria, in a fit of competitiveness over a woman, lead out a marathon at world record pace for the first 2 miles.  That always annoyed me, because anyone who can run 2 miles at marathon world record pace (4:45 m/m ish?) is a pretty handy runner rather than some barely trained chump.  I certainly can't do it.

This video rather reminded me of that.

23/04/2013 at 20:02

Dachs, you're not saying movie makers are peddling nonsense to make a better story are you?

I've led a handful of races. And it's generally one of 2 feelings.

1) foolishness, as after 50-100metres the proper runners take over

2)adrenaline/fear and a heightend sense of concentration as you have to make sure you take the right turn!

I can still remember the relief I had at some low key 10k somewhere about 4 years ago when I was overtaken about 3 or 4k in after leading the field off.

It was a really bizarre race where the first half was quite downhill, and the second half clearly the payback. Johnas was there too.

It was the worst positive split race ever.

So bootleg a race that they only had medals for the first 100 I seem to recall out of 200 runners. And no prize for 1st, let alone 2nd.

I can still remember a cynical teammate who wasn't wearing his club colours (rule number 1 of that club was wear colours to score), had very quickly changed gear afterwards for the team photo.

23/04/2013 at 20:07

dug out the old pics... they could at least have done a proper pose like mine.

An Johnas had obviously cleared off home by then!

Spot the chap trying to conceal he hadn't run in club kit...

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/104999/gallery/stoke-row__2009.jpg?width=350

23/04/2013 at 20:12

you think the London marathon had some quality at the front, check out this field.

In fairness, there is a 2:43 marathoner, not to mention the race winner, who's was a 2:40 man himself.

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/104999/gallery/stoke_row_10k_2009.jpg?width=350

23/04/2013 at 20:43

Big sess today (stolen from SG). 3 x 2km @ HM, tempo, 10K off 3mins recovery.

HM (6.01 pace), Tempo (5:55 pace), 10K (5:42 pace).

Thought the grief was over but got asked join part of another session so did 4 x 500M of 100M jog 2 @ 5K, 2 @ 3K pace Then I was done!

Nice SG, mine is from the Welsh Castles Relay, Hills... what hills!

Safe to say I didn't win the leg, but hung on for 6th.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/559501/gallery/7361671174_6d587da8f0_b.jpg?width=350

23/04/2013 at 20:45

How did the tiny chap a couple of rows back do?

23/04/2013 at 20:46

I only have one photo of me in the lead group of any race.  And that one is ruined because SG is still beating me

23/04/2013 at 20:57

Nice session SS,  you did well to do anything else on top of that session! I was certainly done after the 3x2km bit. That looks a tasty hill!

Nice spot Dachs, that chap is tiny. If his number is 49 it looks like he did 56mins.to come 91st! Slightly optimistic start then

Winner did 36.27, when he was a 1:15 half man at the time, i did 37.55, and I think I recall Johnas had turned up feeling quite ill, so probably didn't appreciate the right old battle with one of our club mates!

It was one of the slightly pointless races that found their way onto our schedule in those days. Low standard, offroad or very hilly, and quite often on very hot days!

Dachs, I can't recall that? Can't be Tadley as I sucker punched you later, Wokingham? And probably not a photo i'd want to see as i'd probably be in the thick of people 5mins quicker or something silly

23/04/2013 at 21:14

SG - it was Tadley.  Taken in the first 100 metres or so.  Shortly before you nervously wondered where Graham was...

23/04/2013 at 21:35

It was glorious irony that in the last 100metres he was nervously wondering where I was.

1second behind was the answer.

23/04/2013 at 22:14
Ill was one way of putting it... I was drunk as a skunk. Only 4 hours before that photo I was still in a nightclub drinking mojitos... In all honesty I shouldn't have driven to the race. I got to about 8km and stopped to throw up repeatedly in the hedgerow. That's the only time that club mate overtook me in a race. Missed club photo as I needed to get home to bed. Running pissed really isn't a good idea.

Nice track Tuesday SS and XC Bus. Nice watching from the sidelines
Edited: 23/04/2013 at 22:18
23/04/2013 at 22:29

That is a big session Stevie! The add-on was just pure sado masochism!

SG - my target pace for my steady off-road runs is usually to get anywhere under 8:30 pace (which includes stopping for gates/stiles/road crossings etc). Given the terrain and (usually) extra hills, it feels about the same effort level as doing around 7:20 - 7:30 on road. As it happens, tonight's covered just shy of 1200ft of climbing so around 120ft per mile. Although form underfoot now, there are a lot of very rutted paths that were squelchy mud a couple of weeks ago, but have now dried hard into ankle turning lumps of concrete! 

Only race I've ever lead out (other than the tinpot 10k I won of course) was the Penn 7 on the first downhill. It felt very weird and didn't last for long! As for that guy at VLM, he did it for his own reasons - his blog spells it out better than I could, but the result on the day wasn't his main concern. Besides, we're all talking about him, which is more than would have happened if he'd done 2:55 or something!! 

As far as that shite film Run Fatboy Run is concerned, the really annoying thing was how they wore their numbers on their backs! I nearly through the DVD in the bin and haven't been able to watch Simon Pegg since...

23/04/2013 at 22:30

My run into double figures planned for today was indeed a double. A double 'one'!

Messed about to start with, going out 45 minutes late and after just a mile stopped and went home. Didn't fancy it at all, and my legs weren't even remotely mashed. 

Did 20 minutes easy on the indoor bike instead. 

Difficult to motivate myself when merely arresting the speed of decline.

23/04/2013 at 22:31

I took so long to post Johnas that I cross posted! Only raced hungover once and that wasn't a patch on yours by the sound of it! Not something I'm ever likely to do again either given how unpleasant it was!

23/04/2013 at 22:37

And with yours Ric! Sounds a bit of a downer mate - bloody impossible to keep motivated all the time. Sounds like you need a break or just to take stock of how good you actually are (and not just for your age). Difficult to realise sometimes with the quality and progress of this thread! The inevitable tail off is just something we all have to come to accept I guess, and just get back to enjoying our running for its own sake, or for new challenges and not a constant chase for the next PB.

24/04/2013 at 00:25
Double day for me today. Hit the track for the first time in ages this morning. Mile warm up then 8x400 reps at between 68s-73s.. Got booted off so couldn't do any more.. 1 mile cool down after. Wouldn't have held that pace for any more reps. Ran them far too fast according to Daniel's paces.

Did 4 miles this evening.
17,141 to 17,160 of 25,544 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.