Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,161 to 17,180 of 26,723 messages
24/04/2013 at 06:37

haha Johnas, ah I remember now. Look at the "old" you and the "new" you. You were a good lad back then but good lad plus a good runner is a better combo

I've obviously never been drunk, but my equivalent was being utterly mashed after a long year of Marlow events on 2006, and turning up a race knackered, and having to sprint to beat Nigel at the end of the Sandhurst XC!  I finished that year vowing never to do another XC race!

Ric, unlucky pal. I guess you're at a stage where you're comfy with binning something off if it doesn't feel right. Whereas us younger more foolish types would probably still monster through it! Rest up, and go again.

Bus, we must have wracked up a tidy little amount of race wins on this thread between us. Hopefully we'll all get a little bit faster and start winning some better races! Although I have my eyes on the Dorchester Dog and Balls 5k in June. 

Tim, who booted you off? Sounds very fast. Was that because you knew you'd be kicked off!

Back to work today, so squeezing a 12miler in at 7am pre work. Have done this 2 of the last 3 weeks, and it's an interesting hello to the world on a working day!

It's funny how it's all a stepping stone. Doing 12+ on a sunday at 7am seemed madness at first, then doing hard efforts sessions at lunch. Then it was squeezing the odd 7am weekday run in.

The ultimate I guess is a 7am efforts session! That's not something I want to embrace anytime soon.

Beauty of today, is get it done, and then pretty much 2 full rest days until lunchtime running on Fri.

24/04/2013 at 08:48

I note that Chris Finill ran 2:58:35 at London to make it the 33rd conescutive sub 3 at the 33rd London Marathon (so he has run all the London arathons and all sub 3). It was, however, his lsowest London.

minibus for me at lunchtime

24/04/2013 at 08:58
Hi Stevie! There was a school doing their GCSE pe exams!
I haven't been on the track for ages and did the first one too fast, sort of carried on from there but trying to keep around 73s with 90s rest.
24/04/2013 at 09:50

good session Tim

Ric - arresting the decline is what wava was created for. you still score very well on that.  Plus congrats on a decent return to the track over the weekend

yesterday was 12*400 ave 73 off 45sec rec.   felt comfortable so will bring in the recovery on these now to 30 secs and see what difference that makes.

Johnas - i feel your pain regards drink and then sport.  my old hockey team hit the bar after a big win from 3pm and stayed on it large with snorting vodka, strawpedos and bar golf until the early hours.  we "forgot" we had the east of england champs the next day and it was the qualifier for the nationals.  rounding up the team that morning was like a scene out of saving private ryan.  we won the final and probably had my best ever game. i think we were so hung over our concentration levels were heightened to try and overcome it.  Ah good days!

24/04/2013 at 10:01

Tim, I thought GCSEs in PE were just a joke, like in the Inbetweeners?

Surely you don't get a qualification just for running about a bit!

Standard fast stuff Dean!

24/04/2013 at 10:40

oi! back off i got an A in PE for my GSCE

50% sport science, 50% practical.  you were given a choice of 8 sports to get assessed on in your practical only 5 counted to your grade. the sports i was left with was trampolining, badminton, football, athletics and basketball.  Wasnt allowed to use hockey.   My trampolining was akin to watching a rhino do swan lake....not very good at all.  The practical was a doss for everyone, the sport science bit was more of a challenge for those of us who only signed on to have a kick about!

24/04/2013 at 11:05

Lesson learnt that day Dean. Hasn't been repeated since.

Right, need some input from the Wycombe/Bucks/Berks contingent... I need to put some 5k and 10k races in the schedule for June / July. Need to be good as an A Race i.e flat, fast, quality turnout. Any of you done Thame 10K?

Alternatively, on the same day, there's a new 5km over in basingstoke called the Brackenwood Festival 5 which sounds interesting.

Any other suggestions welcome as long as SouthEast based (London and surrounds)

24/04/2013 at 11:34

Sounds fun Deano, unfortunately my school only allowed us to do proper subjects. Although I still chuckle about getting an A in General Studies for an A Level off 2 exams and no lessons when others spend half a year taking lessons and only got an AS Level!

Johnas 10k wise Dorney Lake will be as flat as it gets in July. it can be hot and it can be windy. The year I did it, 2011 it was a bit hot, you could taste the dehydration, but not a scorcher, so i got away with it.

Quality wise it was ok. Phil Wicks roared round in 30mins, and my 35.20 was 11th out of 756. You just need luck that a few people round your pace show up.

As you get into the mid 30s and below though, the number of races where you'll get swathes of your pace and faster quickly decrease though. Chichester and Eastleigh are the best I've done, 34.43 and 34.30 were 71/1666 and 44/2084 respectively.

I guess British 10k and Leeds 10k will be 2 higher quality ones.

Never done the Thame 10k. I'm sure that race is always super hot temp wise tho!

24/04/2013 at 11:58

Johnas, 10ks are a bit more sparse in this neck of the woods in June/July than in April/May.  The Yateley series is going on, but as those are Wednesday evenings they may not suit you, but if they did, you can end up with a few sub 35, and the course is fast-ish.  Wargrave is June, but isn't flat.

There should be plenty going on in London though I would've thought.

24/04/2013 at 13:58

Thame 10k used to be one of my regulars. It is usually hot, and has a sting in the tail in the form of an incline up to the finish (where, true to form, I have had retching incidents to cost me a PB!!). That bit is also the first section, so a fast downhill start. There's also a very short steep bit onto the Phoenix trail, with a couple of bollards to negotiate and a very short section of gravel. Good event though, well attended and some people seem to manage to PB on it.

Others swear by Bearbrook as a fast 10k, thanks to a couple of Ks downhill to the finish field, but I've always found it a hard course - but its in August so past where you want and heat is an issue, and a long incline and undulations in the first 2/3rds.

Decided on a rest day today as the legs are feeling very heavy, so intervals might well have been counter productive.

24/04/2013 at 14:33
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Tim, I thought GCSEs in PE were just a joke, like in the Inbetweeners?

My eldest daughter is doing Exercise and Sports Sciences at degree level. She needed to have 3 A-levels at grades AAB to get onto the course. She did A-level sports science as well but was advised not to do performance (you have to choose two out of there of coaching, refereeign and performing) as the levels to get an A are basically national schools standard so sub 2:00 for 800 as a boy.

Minibus at lunchtime came out at 2:56, 2:54, 2:55, 2:53, 2:53, 2:55 so not too bad. Worst bit was the wind which was swirling so sometimes it was full on into your face and next rep behind you on the same straight.

24/04/2013 at 18:30

Some attempt to snap out of my current lethagy. Went out early and put myself in a position where running over 10 miles was the only way I'd get home. Got back before 8:00am by some margin.

Mentioned before. Races in the Metropolitan Summer League. Low key but 5:15 mile pace needed to win. Dates: Dulwich Park 10k June 2nd, Headstone Manor 10k June 16th, Ealing 5 miles July 7th, Regents Park 10k July 21st, Battersea Park 5 miles August 18th.

Cost of race £1 each. 

Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

I note that Chris Finill ran 2:58:35 at London to make it the 33rd conescutive sub 3 at the 33rd London Marathon (so he has run all the London arathons and all sub 3). It was, however, his lsowest London.

minibus for me at lunchtime

It was a bit touch and go for Chris this year. In the reply to the email I sent him post race, he wondered if I was up for London next year.

A moment for concern that one.

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 18:36
24/04/2013 at 18:33

Phil  you can't compare the piss about GCSE PE to proper sports science courses.

I presume you have the magic entry packs for the Big race then? Do we have a team kit?

Ric, are those the "near as dammit" distances you mentioned somewhere before, or proper measured courses?

24/04/2013 at 19:05

SG, They appear (occasionally) on PO10 as NAD, but that doesn't mean they haven't been measured properly.

They've all been measured with a calibrated wheel, just not with Hugh Jones on the other end of it. By some irony, while warming up for last years Battersea Park part of the league, Hugh Jones went past on his bike.

24/04/2013 at 19:23

I'm wary of the dreaded NAD!

Edited: 24/04/2013 at 19:27
24/04/2013 at 19:25
Stevie G . wrote (see)

I presume you have the magic entry packs for the Big race then? Do we have a team kit?

No packs and no kit. I can't remember what happend last year with packs at all.

Looked at the entry list, biggest opposiiotn seems to be Yummy Mummy Running Club

24/04/2013 at 19:34

I like the team name that has "Limpers" in there. I bet they're fast.

Classic pyschology. Like in work footy tournaments, we'd enter our team name as "C" or "D" to lull the opposition into thinking we were some bunch of make weights. Then monster them

If we all turn up fit, it'll just be a nice little extra interest on top of simply looking for a good time.

24/04/2013 at 22:11

Nice 9.5 tonight, was just good for the wind to have died a bit. Tomorrow's track session looks a good add accompanyment to my session from Tuesday, bit quicker.

(800 (5k) (2 mins) 600 (3k) (90secs) 400 (1500) (60secs) 200 (fast) x 3 (3mins between sets).

So about 6K in volume some nice paces and aiming at shifting up a gear each rep.

24/04/2013 at 22:11

Yeah until the RO disses me as a scoundrel and a cheat in front of the crowd 'cos of the grief I gave him at work . You can do the talking SG!

Could be an issue if we win though and have to hang around - I'm on wardrobe building duty that afternoon 

oh, and you have to watch your nads if you get distracted with those measuring wheels, especially if you've got Hugh Jones (huge ones, geddit??....I'll get me coat....)

25/04/2013 at 06:45

Btw, thanks for your support, Bus, Dean SG, all.

17,161 to 17,180 of 26,723 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.