Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,181 to 17,200 of 25,562 messages
IronCat5    pirate
25/04/2013 at 07:03

Evening (for me), morning (for you).

Never raced with a hangover, Briefly led a parkrun at Dinton pastures in February until I thought I should slow down. Finished 5th in the end.

Still enjoying my rest week after yesterday's 11 hour flight. I've hired a bike for the weekend and will get some easy running in too. I've also entered Shinfield, despite it not being PO10. I may consider some of the Yateley series in the summer.

Cheer up Ric.

We're going to be moving to Bracknell in October, which may necessitate a change of club. Whilst I quite like being a big fish in a small pond, it won't help my progression. So....SJ or BFR?

Pic of me not leading, but leaving everything out on the course. We were all given GB flags as we neared the finish line.

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/553795/gallery/408626_587826007908721_96560650_n.jpg?width=350

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 07:06
25/04/2013 at 07:37

superb iron - a GB vest is the stuff of dreams

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 07:38
25/04/2013 at 08:08

Iron, you are literally half the man in that pic than from your profile pic!

Get amongst SJ, we can be club mates. What better than knowing you'll have to work  to make the scoring 6 rather than just knowing turning up guarantees it.

And you may well find that you can long term become a big fish in a bigger pond.

They even do their track sessions in Bracknell I believe, so nice and close.

25/04/2013 at 12:23

Iron, great picture, one to hang on the wall!  Looks like you're in full-on sprint.  There's even a nice caption for you on the banner next to your knee.

Commiserations on moving to Bracknell.

Track last night.  The prescribed session was 8 x 5 minutes with 2 minutes recovery, starting at 10K pace and getting faster with each one.  That's a bit OTT even for me. I struggle to believe that that session is actually physically possible, so I ran within myself for the majority of the session, starting shy of HM pace, and only really pushing it beyond 10K pace on the last couple.  Still felt like a lot of work though unsurprisingly.  Some chafing action too.

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 12:23
IronCat5    pirate
25/04/2013 at 15:41

SG - you said similar at Tadley! I'm pretty much at racing weight, though that may have changed by the time I get back.

I'm probably asking the wrong person geographically - what is the coaching like at SJ?

Good session Dachs. The move isn't all that bad - a new build on the old staff college site so very close to the track. I'll miss the woods behind the current house though.

25/04/2013 at 16:42

Iron, I don't ever train with them clearly, but i believe they do have 4/5 club runs a week, highest I've ever heard of from a club.

The track sessions I'm sure would do a job, but I believe they're like many road running club sessions, namely a one session fits all group approach.

You won't get someone pointing out what your reps and recoveries should come out as. And you won't find each session fits your specific aims and progression!

I think the thing I used to like the least with other clubs was just arriving at a session not knowing what was in store. I like to visualise and know what's in store.

25/04/2013 at 17:46
Great picture Iron.

I'm of the same school of thought SG. I like to know what's in store. Never really had it that way though but once the Peaks are out of the way ill be going to the track by myself.

Absolutely nothing of note training wise with this saturdays race in mind. 4 easy miles everyday this week with the dog. On the canal, as flat as you can get. Filling my face with food everyday too.
25/04/2013 at 21:20

Nice Pic Iron, get that chubby lad of your profile pic and replace it with that pic of the elite GB fella, giving it serious serious hammer!

800(5K), 600(3K), 400(1500), 200(Faster than 1500) x 3 tonight

800 (2:42, 2:41, 2:40), 600 (1:54, 1:55, 1:55) 400 (74, 73, 73), 200 (35, 34, 32)

Cracking session, felt really good after the first set finished and still felt comfortable in the last set (within reason!) Paces were pretty good, more target pace than actual pace. But to be honest, actual pace would have been a doddle, this felt the right effort level. Now for my first day off in 14 days!

25/04/2013 at 22:13

Another vote for that pic Iron! Absolute classic shot....

SS - Jeez, your sessions are getting sharp!!  When is your next race?

Double XC for me today to give 14.7M overall, but with varying degrees of pain in between .  Sitting is still a problem, and the referred pain down my entire right leg has been far worse tonight than for a couple of weeks. Damn shame, as toward the end of last week I thought I was over the worst of it. Hey ho...

25/04/2013 at 22:18
Just found this on you tube. this is right up your street Bus.

http://youtu.be/2ZkO6OEGt8w
25/04/2013 at 22:46

nice session stevie - excellent consistancy

more bad luck on the injury front Bus, hopefully it shifts quickly

Iron - if you dont use that picture for your profile, i will! 

a bus session for me tonight 6*800m 2.29 ave off 60 secs recovery.  was hard work with the wind on the back straight but got through.

25/04/2013 at 22:58

Just noticed the date fot the Abbey Dash Leeds is 17 November....

Iron... Smart photo, by the time you have to crop it down for your profile photo it'll just be a head....

IronCat5    pirate
26/04/2013 at 04:22

Cheers SG. The Tri club do the 'suprise reps' plus give some pace guidance for each rep (i.e. sub 5km, 10km etc), though I often use my own pace tables. Will check out SJs website.

Sorry to hear you're still suffering Bus.

Proper speedy sessions from SS and Dean, though Dean's session was officialy a min-Bus remember!

Trying to upload a new profile pic but RW forum is still broken.

Is anyone else doing Shinfield 10k?

26/04/2013 at 08:05

Stevie, that session makes my body ache! Getting well into gear you are

Bus, doesn't sound too much fun, hope that eases off very sharpish, but sometimes what seems to be a monster injury can be easily resolved (i sound like Steve L now!)

Bluey, clashes with Gosport half, not that it's particularly seriously in the diary but all depends on the focus come November!

Feels like I haven't run for a while. 8.30am Wednesday I finished my last run! Couple of runs today, evening 800m reps.

26/04/2013 at 14:04

crap photo Iron. Could of at least made it look like you were trying.

nice track work Dean, SS and Dachs. Dachs - 8x 5mins is a tough session, and difficult to get consistent at the top end. I did exactly that session (@ threshold) of 60 sec recoveries at beginning of April and had to break the session in to 2 sets of 4 to complete it (2mins off between sets).

Bus. Feel for you mate. Nothing worse than an injury that keeps going round and round. Ric - I wonder if your current lethargy is as severe as mine.

Thanks for the race comments and suggestions btw. Some good suggestions but have opted for a more local route to Kent. So....

1. 2x Park Run 5ks
  2. 1x track 5000m (gulp!)
  3. 2x 10ks
  4. 1x 5 miler

needed a plan to focus on or might be tempted just to spend the next month drinking beer and eating pizza

EDIT - Matt. Good luck mate! Sounds like the taper has gone well. Looking forward to the race report!

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 14:05
26/04/2013 at 14:09

You seen that Sam's gone and bugegred her tendon and will be operated on in May and then 4-6 weeks out after that:

http://www.bucksfreepress.co.uk/sport/10373574.I_thought_____my_God__I_just_want_out_of_this_race___/

Lunchtime Last Friday of the Month: 5k round Hyde Park. Jogged the 3 miles out from the office, then raced (3:34, 3:49, 3:36, 3:41 and 3:40 splits) for 18:23 overall. Wasn't the fastest forumite so there will be more news from someone else.

The aim was to get back into sub-6 form (18:38 or thereabouts for 5k, you just get messed up when you approximate to 18:45) so 18:23 is nicely inside that. The loose aims in order of getting better were sub 19:00, sub 18:51 (PB on the course from last year) sub 18:45, sub 18:38, sub 18:30, anything better so got the best outcome I had aimed at. Now need to get it down to a 17.xx

4 miles jog back.

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 14:10
26/04/2013 at 14:40

great running PMJ. Still on the upwards curve back to where you should be. Fantastic to hear and see your progress.

Interesting about Sam. If that is the case, why do I look in considerably more pain in her photos crossing the finish line than she does!!

Linky

26/04/2013 at 15:37

Needed a plan to focus on or might be tempted just to spend the next month drinking beer and eating pizza.

Johnas, this is exactly what you should be doing. 

Ah, lethagy!. My suspicion is that this is the tail end of a virus. Felt dead last Saturday, felt duff yesterday. Felt less duff this morning. 

I've had this post viral thing before. Its like running with the brakes on. Needs a serious boot to blow the remnants away.

26/04/2013 at 15:48

Thanks chaps, it is, well, quite literally a pain in the arse! Difficult to know ehther running is making it worse or having no impact, as the pain is actually minimal when running! Cycled in today, whihc was OK, but again, sitting at my desk has been most uncomfortable. Hopefully the physio appointment will come soon. I'm going to chase on Monday either way...

Philip - good racing, and excellent to be getting back in the zone. Presumably you're not parkrunning tomorrow?

26/04/2013 at 16:37

bus... maybe you need one of these...

http://s4.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/496080/gallery/stand-up-desk.jpg?width=203&height=285&mode=max

OR... maybe one of these?

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/496080/gallery/treadmill-desk.jpg?width=273&height=255&mode=max

17,181 to 17,200 of 25,562 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.