Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,201 to 17,220 of 27,316 messages
26/04/2013 at 16:49

Good spot Johnas - bottom one looks like a winner! Funnily enough I did do a couple of hours on the laptop at home the other day with it propped on top of a kitchen unit so I could stand up and work....

26/04/2013 at 17:30

Saw it Phil, works to different rules than us lot. I doubt any of us could put an op off a few months to take in countless races including a 2:43 marathon. Must be a minor tidy up op.

Check the date of the op, she'll be there the day before, to witness the MTSG outing. Well, touch wood on me and Bus being 100%!

Off for some 800 reps at 3k to see how that goes

26/04/2013 at 17:31

ps good 5k race Phil. Your return has been slow but sure. I'm surprised you're considering another marathon after the recovery from this one though!

26/04/2013 at 17:51

SS and Dean - very nice paces on those reps from both of you.  Dean - sub 2:30 800s? Niiiice...

Bus, sorry to hear you haven't managed to entirely shake the injury.  Running up mountains seemed to work before, so maybe give that a go

Phil, good race from you.  Good to see you on the comeback trail.

Iron - I'm down for it.

So I was the forumite Phil was alluding to at the Last Friday 5K today.  I work quite close to Reading station, and it's only half an hour to Paddington and then a 10 minute jog to Hyde Park, so thought I'd give it a go and see where I stand before proper 5K training starts to bear fruit.

Went off and within 500m found myself slightly in the lead, to my surprise, because it's usually won in 15:xx.  However, then another chap took over and stretched off a decent lead, so found myself running with 2 others in the battle for second.  About halfway round, it was me and the other chap running together, and first place started to hove back into view.  We both overtook him by about 3K and so it became a battle for first.  At about 1K to go I decided to make a move to up the pace, knowing that my sprint finish is awful, but he responded.  We were still neck and neck at the last corner with 100m to go, but he then outkicked me and took the win by 2-3 seconds with me second.  Awaiting official confirmation of my time, but according to the watch it should be 16:21/16:22.

Then a good warm down with PMJ and another chap.

Closest I've ever come to a proper race win!  I'll get there...

Maybe a little disappointed by the time, I think I've got a 16:10 in me, but it's still a PB by at least 10 seconds, so can't be too unhappy.  There are some twists and turns, and we had a brief windy hailstorm (?!) in our faces for a couple of minutes, but still a pretty fast course.  Now to get some more speed from somewhere...

Edited: 26/04/2013 at 17:52
26/04/2013 at 18:43
The Bus wrote (see)

Philip - good racing, and excellent to be getting back in the zone. Presumably you're not parkrunning tomorrow?

May do, probability is more so than not. Dachs, the speed comes from repetition so in 2011 I did 18 5ks (parkruns, 5ks, 5000, track) over 16 weeks and ended up with a 17:49 PB

Second time I have run LFOTM, last time DT2 came second in 16:11, maybe one day I will run it as the only forumite and come second.

26/04/2013 at 19:22

excellent time Dachs, and not a bad race at all to come 2nd in! Usually attracts some faces, of which you are now one in your own right!

Might have to get there myself one time. Love how you suggest an hour train and 10min tube isn't much effort!!

Got up the track and realised I didn't have my headfones with me. Now, most of you serious runners will be thinking, headfones...sneer, but remember I do these sessions on my own, with a 3.5mile warm up!

Started driving home, then thought this is madness, just suck it up and do it!

5x800 at 3k pace off 2.30.

Quite a stretch at 3k pace, and it didn't seem too long ago that 200 at 3k pace seemed enough!

Vaguely aimed for 1.15 lapping, but with the wind up there you never guarantee anything.

Went pretty well, with a 2.28,2.28,2.31 to start things off, then the classic gut problems started, and meant I had to duck off the 4th rep 3/4 in for an emergency evacuation.

Some people would probably bin a session off at this point, but i'd just stopped the watch, took it as a 45sec extra break, and carried on the rep to do 2.27.

5th rep in 2.31

Probably my own fault for greedily smashing back tonnes of chewing gum today, which in hindsight is an obvious laxative.Combine that with the intensity of the session and it was always going to be dangerous!

Still....session ticked off...5k pace will probably feel pretty comfy in comparison!

26/04/2013 at 21:17

Very fast session SG

some great races from pmj & Dachs.  Looks good for both you to take a chunk off today's time before the end of the summer

26/04/2013 at 21:21

I've heard some excuses SG but too much chewing gum?!  Nice reps, sub 2:30 is going some, 800 3K reps are a big ask, especially when there is all kinds of 'internal unrest.'

PJM - looks like the come back is now over and it's just a case of pushing on now. I'd say a sub 6min/mile race is 'back.' You've built slowly and carefully so you're probably in good shape to continue to push training on without breaking down.

Bus, shame about the slight niggle, but like said before, nothing a few thousand ft of accent will won't sort out! It might just be a reaction to getting back in shape after your lay off. All normal.

Nice session Deano, you seem to be hitting paces spot on at the moment. Let's prey for good conditions come the 17th, two days before my birthday too! If I PB I'm having a few cheeky Friday beers after!

Dachs, a PB is a PB. Like we say good training takes longer to out then we expect so that extra 10 seconds will hit home in the summer... but by then you'll be expecting 10 seconds faster than that!! Always the way!

I'm stealing Johnas' session of 6 x 5min @ tempo off a min recovery tomorrow. I really feel tempo running is making me stronger and generally more fit and confident.

26/04/2013 at 21:29

Stevie. The best thing tonight was that what I lost in motivational headfones, I gained in better form!

Maybe next time I might use the phones for the warm up then leave to the side for the session.

I can only think it was the gum, sorbitol is a known laxative, and 2 lots of rice and one banana since 8am surely isn't the stuff of dodgy stomachs!

i can only imagine the pain of a 3k race...hopefully the idea of racing that has disappeared

26/04/2013 at 21:47

Ha, you're not getting away with it that easily! In a 5K the first K is always OK and it's towards 2.5K you start to think "oh dear". But literally 600m into a 3K and you're thinking 'What in Gods name is happening to me!?" Definate difference in pace.

Life on a knife edge, just one hubba bubba from a digestive melt down!

26/04/2013 at 22:04

I felt a bit of that today when i was through 200 in 35 on the first rep. The wind round the bend nicely calmed things!

But yes, I reckon I could be a decent runner if i didn't have this continual tight rope

Was an interesting bunch of different sessions up there tonight.

A guy in his 60s I know from a local club was doing some marathon paced stuff, at 9min miling. Felt odd to be overtaking him on the recoveries from my reps.

Then there was a guy i don't think I've ever done a session up there without him being there! Must go everyday or something! He seems to warm up for about 30mins, stretching and walking about. Then run about 1 lap. I wonder if he's a heart patient or something just trying to tick over with very untaxing workouts.

Then there was some kind of "boot camp" training going on. Sitting about on tyres, doing a couple of pushups, and jogging up a 3metre hill.

Each of us had our own purpose though, that's what it's about.

26/04/2013 at 22:32

Stevie see -a few of the stoke lads are thinking of getting a beer in after christleton so if either of us get a PB I will pay out!

26/04/2013 at 22:32

Thanks for the positive comments guys. Wish I did have a couple of moutains I could take it out on!

Outstanding session SG, despite the pit stop.  Seems like 800s are  the order of the day, except you lot seem to have supercharged the minibus!!

Dachs - maybe only a 10s PB, but what a PB to have, and a damn good race too! Scary to think how far you've come over the past couple of years!

Bike home today of 18M to make 32 for the day. Bloody cold though! A real shock to the syatem after the past few day - couldn't feel my fingers after a couple of miles this morning! I've got a bit of the time at the track myself tomorrow to look forward to - a junior Invitational, with my lad's events spread out so far that I could end up having to be there from 10.30 to 6.30, just as the weather gets cold and wet again on the coldest track in the country!! Hey ho...

IronCat5    pirate
27/04/2013 at 06:24

Nice 5kms Phil and Dachs. The last Friday 5km is on my will-do list. Do you finishe early Dachs, or was it a long lunch break?

Good minibus sesh from the threadmeister himself.

IronCat5    pirate
27/04/2013 at 06:30

I may alter my Sunday plans to watch Ali Browlee smash the 10'000m at Payton Jordan.

27/04/2013 at 09:52

SG, woah! Great times on those reps.  Are you actually going to race a 3000 at some point?

Iron - it was a long lunch break. Long as in 3 hours. My boss was ok with it, but will need to make the time up.

Turns out that the guy who just beat me yesterday has gone sub 72 for a half this year, and was part of Belgrave's winning team at the national 12 stage relays. So its nice to have made a guy like that work for the win.

27/04/2013 at 10:39

Have to get through a potential 3 race May programme first. See how I'm holding up by then!

The longer recoveries definitely allow more pace to be administered, and it's funny, as when I was doing the first one I was thinking, have I lost the turn of pace I had in my footy days where sprinting was constant, or even in the early day Marlow sessions.

In reality, I expect my Marlow sessions in reality used to be rep 1 exceptionally fast, rep 2 fast, and by the last rep the rep matched the recovery

Never an exact science, but that Belgrave link sounds very promising. If you can get yourself sub 16 for 5k, you'll really be a big face on the local scene. You'll be the fella the likes of me are pointing out and whispering about on the start line

we would all embrace a 3hour lunch break! I occasionally do a 2hour one to fit a tempo in or something, but that gets equalled by not having one another day...

27/04/2013 at 13:20

parkrun this morning (needed an early run and parkrun as as good a reason for an early as any other one and you meet up with a load of parkrun friends so oevrall good fun). Wasn't sure where my legs would be after yesterday's 5k at lunchtime and had managed to somehow divorce myslef from all timing devices (Garmin left in the office and stopwatch in the bedroom and I wasn't going to risk waking Mrs PMJ) so it was run 100% on feel. One guy legged it off from the start and after a few fast starters faded I ended up slotting into second place. I held that until about 2k when a couple of runners came up onto my shoulder. These are people I normally chase round when fresh so I decided to drop behind and get a pull but the odd thing was that the legs didn't want to follow and kept on running ahead (normally the mind says faster and the legs say slower so very odd in reverse). By 3k I had a discernible lead but nothing much, 3 or 4 seconds, which I held all the way to the finish for 2nd overall and a time that must be pretty close to 19:00 and maybe a 18.5x.

Very please with that, much happier than yesterday even though yesterday was much faster, just nice to be able to produce a good run after a track session Wednesday and a race Friday.

In our office the guys who stick to the hour lunchbreak are the ones to keep an eye on. I get in by 7:00 and leave at 4:30 so that is 9:30 and my contract says 7:00 so that is a 2:30 break I need even before I do a few hours in the evening and weekends. The ones we watch come in at 8:00 on the dot, an hour at lunch and leave at 4:00 on the dot: bloody clock watchers.

27/04/2013 at 13:21

Leg loosener for me today, with 4x400m thrown(microbus?) in to try and shake the legs into some form of shape for tomorrows race - 1:18, 1:20, 1:8, 1:19. Kinda sobering to realise that that is about 20 secs per mile slower than you ran your 800s at Dean, Dachs and SG!

27/04/2013 at 13:34

that's just a pre race sharpener Bus, it's all about what a session is for...and smashing yourself the day before a race would be barmy!

Which race by the way?

Phil, any idea who the winner was? Nice turn out after your main 5k yesterday.

Just got a 5miler in. Bit tight, but then i tend to start a little tight anyway and the runs ease it.

Got through the woods fine, then managed to trip up back on the flat on the pavement. Fell on the good side of the hip, aches a little!

Hips are rubbish to fall on!

17,201 to 17,220 of 27,316 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.