Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,361 to 17,380 of 25,431 messages
03/05/2013 at 19:25
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Bus/Phil, if either of you find you're free tomorrow and fancy a run with me instead, something around 10am, feel free to let me know.

What about Wycombe Rye parkrun at 9am, we will both be there. Pace me round for an 18:38.

Can do Sunday though, early and say 10-12 miles.

Edited: 03/05/2013 at 19:26
03/05/2013 at 19:44
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
The Bus wrote (see)

parkrun will be a bit slow tomorrow (if I can run at all!). Philip - are you running parkrun or heading off to watch daughter #1 race or both?

Good, I need to pull one back on the injured vs uninjured front. daughter is racing today, tomorrow, Sunday and Monday so will most probably just watch Sunday.

I'll open another beer then to go with my chips tonight to make sure  Not sure which of us counts as uninjured/injured at the mo though! 

03/05/2013 at 20:24

I need to find some chips to go with my beer.

It is really me coming back from long term lay-off but good spell of continuous training versus you with a more recent but shorter lay-off and ongoing niggles.

03/05/2013 at 20:34

parkruns are too early if you're racing, let alone pacing! Also that kind of pace is too tasty for what I need.

Still trying to ease this stomach thing away!

but sunday, yes, put that in 7am job, we'll sort a route.

Bus, are you deffo parkrunning tomorrow?

anything doing Monday for either of you?

03/05/2013 at 22:11

That's the plan - substitute for a tempo, and early doors to clear the decks for a weekend of jobs!

Still to work out Monday - will be running at some point, but it depends on how much I get done tomoorw and Sunday.

Stomach sounds a bit weird - some sort of strain after the track race?

IronCat5    pirate
03/05/2013 at 22:20

I've had stomach problems after raced. Normally after XC I can't eat for the rest of the day. I felt sick in the stomach for 3days at one point. 

03/05/2013 at 22:24

no, this was before the race for a day or 2. And it's less stomach problems, as in unset, and more a strained muscle.

But hopefully is easing a bit.

The bizarre thing is aches/niggles can often go completely in the duration of a race/hard session. Must be the adrenaline/concentration of the bigger picture!

04/05/2013 at 07:47

Done and dusted already. Went out for a steady run but after a mile or so decided on a speed session around some cricket pitches.

40 seconds fast, 20 seconds jog. Kept this up for 30 minutes. Not really tired at all. 

Covered 4.62 miles according to the Garmin.

04/05/2013 at 10:42

Rye parkrun this morning. Only the 3rd parkrun I've done, but nice to catch up with a few folks. Almost didn't make it due to furniture moving first thing and time slipping by! Anyway, 18:27 for 3rd place. 13 sec faster than last time I did the Rye, but a slightly revised route so difficult to compare. Happy with that though, as the main target was to get a sub 6min mile session in, and Garmin reckons 5:53.  Nice chat and warm down with Philip after too.

04/05/2013 at 12:45

Nicely done Bus and Ric. Speed sessions order of the day by looks of it. 15/15/15 min progression run for me.

Question to the board and our resident running professors Ric and PMJ. After a week off last week and 3 easy runs this week before today's progression run, my paces seem to have stepped up a notch. Easy running this week is averaging 6.45 min/mile with no effort at all - anything slower really does take a conscious effort to maintain. Today's run averaged 6.40/6.05/5.40 min mile for each 15 min section, again with little effort.

Question is: has the increase in paces come from purely having fresh legs or am I seeing the adaptations now from the months of marathon training? Are there any hard and fast rules regarding adaptation? 

04/05/2013 at 12:53

the big boys will have more reasons for it Johnas, but after a very light programme since the Wed night 3k race, I went and did my usual saturday 6miler at 7.08 pace today. Now that doesn't sound too tasty, but the first couple of miles are up through steep woodland, which often sees me do the first mile in 9 or slower. today it was 8.30.

So for me, it's the fresh legs....for you it might be either/or.

Bus, nice turn out. Who were the 2 ahead then? Anyone you know? I guess Phil's report will clear up whether he was one of them!

Do they muck about with the route often? or is it due to the work on the river? whatever that is...

04/05/2013 at 14:10

Johnas - combination of fresh legs and reaping the rewards of the marathon training. The trick now is to capitalise without pushing too hard - this is the dangerous time after a marathon, when you feel  fresh and invincible, but in reality there may well be a few weaknesses hidden somewhere (tendons etc) that you can't feel but may be more prone to injury than usual.

I don't know the name of the guy in front of me, though I've seen him before. He wasn't far ahead, and if it had been for first place it might have been even closer! Philip said the winner was a WPH young runner, Mateusz Sliwimski.

The route was changed becasue of the work on the bank by the playground - added a fe sharp turns, but Philip reckons its marginally faster.

04/05/2013 at 17:16

Johnas, fresh legs are simply a side issue in this situation. Its clearly an adaptation to all the marathon training. The aspect that I took note of, was you running the marathon, but unable to light the after-burners due to a bug you were carrying.

A racing effort with all its attendant damage was simply converted into another long run at brisk pace.

You've just executed what a taper should really be like.

If you ran the VLM tomorrow, I'd wager you would run a time that would be so fast, you'rd think it was someone else.

Maintenance training for a while now. The hard work has been done. Racing will take care of itself.

04/05/2013 at 18:09

Johnas, I'll put it down to fresh legs. There is not much I have read that indicates that marathon training has any specific adaption for speed at shorter distances. A marathon won't make you a better 10k run, though the reverse is true: running a faster 10k will make a better marathon runner out of you. That is why Mo will be exciting in a few years, taking that 10k speed and convertign to the full 26.2

Bus and I were discussing fresh legs on the warm down. My run today was slower than last week (19:01 last week, 19:08 or 9 this week) and last week I raced on the Friday with Dachs and did 5k in 18:24. It is only when you look in detail at the weeks that you see last week I put in a mini-taper before the 5k and that carried over to Saturday but this week was just a regular hard training week with a Tuesday race and no backing off for a non-spoecific parkrun.

Think I came in 6th, started out wondering why a 12 year old girl was out front and beatign everyone but she disappeard and I fell into 3rd behind bus. Just felt a bit too hard so gave up sitting in his wake and went round, got passed by a couple but held off a few more. Overall pleased with it but need an easier week with Marlow 5 next weekend so SG no run early doors tomorrow. I have a race Wednesday but it is short and low key so will substitute for a tempo session and then wind down Thursday and Friday., rest Saturday.

04/05/2013 at 18:23

booo...it was easy pace...cheeky 14 at 7 ish? (both time wise and pace wise )

04/05/2013 at 20:44

Interesting looking at the Po10 for the guy in second today:

http://www.thepowerof10.info/athletes/profile.aspx?athleteid=4733

Seems like a man on a bit of a comeback...

04/05/2013 at 21:17

This article I found interesting.

tapering | the importance of tapering - Peak performance online.

Edited: 04/05/2013 at 21:21
04/05/2013 at 21:45

Bus, cracking pbs that fella got back in 04...when he must have been a mere 22 or so. His half marathon stands out tho...1 second slower than mine, yet he's done sub 34 for 10k, 26:xx for 5miler, 16.21 for 5k and a sub 9 for 3k!!

Clearly short distance biased...but still only 31/32 so plenty of time to convert.

05/05/2013 at 09:46

stomach eased a bit, but can still feel it. However, Sub 1hr 38 for today's 14, which very nicely worked out at 7.00 on the dot.

That'll do as it involved the never easy steep half miler at Chapman Lane.

05/05/2013 at 11:42

NiceJuice Sunday running Stevie.. Puts me to shame.. Did a 12 hilly miler in 1:27..

weekly total 57.5.. Should be up to 60 next week.. Start adding a few doubles to avoid too many long runs. Did 2 12 milers this week. 

17,361 to 17,380 of 25,431 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.