Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,541 to 17,560 of 26,163 messages
10/05/2013 at 21:25
Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

Jane Austin adoption.

Fugging spell checker, offers you words witch are spelled rite but don't work in the intended manner.

10/05/2013 at 21:39

Know cents in eat hat awel (ore cents ability fur vat matt hair)

Good luck tomorrow Stevie!

10/05/2013 at 23:33

I was hoping to have a race report on here today as i was due to run in a local trail race this evening . . . . . I ended up with a baby daughter instead.  

most traumatic day of my life but finished as one of the best. Forceps came out, the wife lost 3 pints of blood, more stitches than a patchwork quilt. Daughter got carted off to NICU as she was struggling to breathe unaided so I didn't see her until 3 hours after she was born. Both are fine now and will be staying in for observation for a couple of days. 

I got sent home with the wifes blessing of doing the local Parkrun then heading up to the hospital tomorrow morning. I could get used to this. ill be seeing how tomorrows parkrun goes then with being on paternity i may well have a crack at christelton next week. 

Family day out.  

11/05/2013 at 06:27

Congradulations to you and your wife Mattl.

I remember the moment my lad was born. Michael Johnson was running the 200m where he ran 19:32.

An emotional time for us all, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

Oh, and my wife and new born were ok as well.

I missed all the blood and guts part of the deal. Walked/sent from the room, watched the race, fell asleep. was woken by a nurse saying "come on dad, there's someone you want to meet". And there he was. Very neat.

Also discovered new babies don't exactly do much apart from sleep. Go for a run then.

11/05/2013 at 08:36

Congrats matt.  Lets see how understanding a new mum is with a week of no sleep

11/05/2013 at 09:01

Congratulations on the new born Matt. Sounds quite an ordeal but glad to hear everything is ok. Pretty sure when it's my turn, I wouldn't be able to stomach being there - I've been told its akin to watching your favourite pub burn down! 

Good luck to all those racing this weekend. Just chilling watching the Diamond League on BBC red button this morning. Rudisha really is a class act isn't he. 

11/05/2013 at 09:32

Massive congratulations matt, definitely preferable to a trail race. Hope the initial stages go well, and that everyone comes home soon. For now i wouldnt expect to be able to run much once theyre home, and, if it turns out you can, thats a bonus.

Johnas - you stay up the head end. And when they say "his head's coming, do you want to see"? you politely inform them that you'll be seeing that same head almost every day for the next couple of decades, only it wont be coated in blood and muck.

It's a wonderful time.

11/05/2013 at 09:42

Congratulations Matt, does sound like an ordeal glad they are both fine. Did you know it was going to be a girl? I just couldn't deal with not knowing! 

Good luck whoever is racing, 3k today eh Stevie, hope your feeling abit better than prior to last weekends  10k! Shame about the wind.

Cracking run last weekend Dachs! Looks like you were correct at the training paces showing a leap in fitness. 

just finished the last mega work week, so training and performances with hopefully return to normal soon. Had a shocker at Silverstone 10k this week, only just went sub 36. If this trend keeps up I'll not be road racing much in the future, just too demoralising.   

11/05/2013 at 10:06

that was unexpected, I saw all the congrats Matt, and wondered what race you'd done!

But...slightly bigger importance, so ...congrats! Big change in lifestyle now...hope you can still get the runs in.

Seb, is it a mental thing with your road stuff? It should be easier to keep a fast pace compared to running on muddy grass?

11/05/2013 at 10:35

Congrats to your wife and you Matt. I have four and found that it was very useful to have a supply of high sugar snacks available: for me and not the Mrs.

Was just looking at the training calendar and noticed that yesterday I did my Hyde Park loop in 53:47 which is my fastest time for almost a year. I was not even trying: all round I was saying "race on Sunday, take it easy". I have done the route as fast as 51:02 but that is when I do the middle loop round the Serpentine at 6 minute pace as a definite tempo effort.

Never sure if feeling fast before a race is a good sign or not: often the best races start out with feeling really bad and then racing well: maybe feeling good means over-cooking it at the start.

11/05/2013 at 10:38

Understand that Phil, I've felt sluggish on the pre race day run many a time, quite often wondering how the heck i'd race at the pace of the strides which felt hard work over 75metres!

More recently though it feels as it should, easier!

Meant to be a 5&4 today, but off to the final between 2.30 and 8, so no chance of a double.

Will extend the 5 up a mile or 2 with strides as a middle ground measure.

Weather looks promising, a bit overcast and slightly cold..ideal hopefully!

IronCat5    pirate
11/05/2013 at 10:39

Great news Matt. Congratulations! 

Both of mine came out the sunroof so I was spared the heads or tails option. I could see the the reflection of the work being done in the operating room lights though. 

Hope the park run was worth it. Could be your last for a while

11/05/2013 at 12:59

merged the runs into a single of 7 today with some strides. The stomach muscle thing seems to have lightened to a bit of a tight groin, which hopefully itself will ease off!

Clocked the last stride at 4.34 pace, so as long as I can start sensibly tomorrow hopefully will be ok!

Over and out until late this evening!

Good luck See-man...I've told you your 3,000m race target

11/05/2013 at 14:07

Congratulations Matt and Mrs Matt! Glad to hear they are both recovering from what sounds a pretty traumatic birth! I was there for both of mine being born, and lets just say, I'm a lot less squeamish now!

Sorry to hear about the 10k Seb - persevere, it'll come good soon enough...

Easy leg loosener for me this morning of 3 miles. Glad to say legs felt very sluggish - they always do the day before a race so I'd be worrried if they didn't!

11/05/2013 at 14:14

Seb - you have a 2:0 win record against me over Xc, one of which was only 8 weeks or so ago.  Whilst I'm no yardstick for anyone I'm not sure you should be 3mins slower  just with a change of surface.  It has to be in your training, do you do enough fast paced Tarmac/ track training?   I believe you are a sub 34 man not a sub 36 man 

11/05/2013 at 16:18

Seb, i'd echo Dean's comments as ive just found outwhat a lack of speedwork can do. In late March I felt comfortable going through 5k in 16.33 so was hopeful of lowering my pb which that is.

A lack of track, tempos etc over the following weeks saw me absolutely bust a gut for 17.27 at the local parkrun today. Won by about 40 seconds from a young lad but that's finally made my mind up to getting back to the speedwork and concentrate on my 5 and 10 times which were progressing nicely.

Good luck to all that are racing and thank for the well wishes.

11/05/2013 at 17:16

Had another mare' today! 10:11 for last place. Group of 4 went off at 79s lap pace (fine enough) and I just let myself fall off the back. Laps times slipped to 81/82, and fell further away. Lost to the guy I beat last year who only ran 10:01, not beyond what I think I could run, but fair play to him, he handed me my arse quite easily. Didn't help the race was delayed by 90mins and we were pretty much warmed down by the time the race started. But that's no excuse it was the same for everyone. Finished and recovered really quickly which makes me think I didn;t hit the high intensity like I should have. Back to the drawing board then!

An event which pales compared to Matt's new arrival. congrats mate, made up for you and your new addition!

11/05/2013 at 18:33

Unlucky Stevie. Not sure about 3k times though - 10:11 still seems fairly quick to me though.

Philip/SG - either of you too want a lift tomorrow? I'll be driving past both your houses pretty much aiming to leave here about 8.15  (sorry, meant to ask earlier in the week!). PM if you do.

11/05/2013 at 18:34

chalk it down to bad day stevie,  there is plenty of good times ahead I'm sure.

matt I had a similar experience last summer in a 5k, I got injured and had 6 weeks or so in recovery,  speed sessions fell off and i hit a 17.20ish (when last time out I had hit sub 16) and felt awful the whole way round. Anyway you have more important things to think about at the moment.

11/05/2013 at 18:35

Just playing Devils Advocate SS but is there a possibility you're overtrained? It would explain the constant cold that you seem unable to shift due to your vulnerable immune system from constant training. Just a thought.

17,541 to 17,560 of 26,163 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.