Moraghan Training - Stevie G

17,581 to 17,600 of 27,063 messages
12/05/2013 at 14:19

Km splits

3:15, 3:22, 3:19, 3:37, 3:26, 3:23, 3:16, 3:29, 3:20, 3:24

I can absolutely vouch for the km markers here, as I say I run this route all the time.  You can see where I lost the time between 3 and 4 k.  This is where the headwind was.  I guess it maybe had more effect than I thought.

12/05/2013 at 14:24

how did it compare to Eastleigh then Dachs? Just the field quality lower? Or a bit slower course wise?

12/05/2013 at 14:26

SG, good report.  It's always a nerve-wracking time looking around a start line and trying to work out which unfamiliar faces are the real speed merchants.  In my case I'd already clocked Graham, but probably hadn't counted on a second sub 32 in a row on a race which is usually won in 33:xx/34:xx, particularly since I knew that the course record holder, who I occasionally run with at the weekends, wasn't going to run today.

Odd with that 6th/7th business.  But defnitely impressive that you're getting PB after PB this year.  That's the results of a sensible approach I suppose, rather than trying to PB twice in 6 days like me!

12/05/2013 at 14:28

SG, I reckon about the same, but with a much lower quality field.  Maybe a fraction slower than Eastleigh purely because the only incline at Eastleigh is early, whereas at Woodley it's late in the race.

12/05/2013 at 14:41

well...i might be trying to pb twice in 3days, but not at as long a distance as you

But hopefully got a chance of being this year's Stevie See-esque pb monster

So Woodley seems pretty fast then. Ok, I'm relying on it being in my clubmate's base period then and being a C importance race. Will be interested if she can better it at Bupa 10k among 10,000 people.

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 14:41
12/05/2013 at 14:52

I ran BUPA 30 seconds slower than Woodley last year, 2 weeks afterwards.  But it was a very hot day.  Plus from the champs start you only get gun timing, so I reckon I actually ran 7-8 seconds quicker at BUPA than was listed (forgot to start my watch, so can't confirm that).

12/05/2013 at 14:57

I'll heed that as a warning Dachs. Sounds like the GSR 10miler, where Bus got chip timing and I didn't, just on starting zone. Wasn't a big thing, only 2-3secs in my section, but could have made a difference

Hopefully it was a lot down to the temperature to explain the slower time.

12/05/2013 at 15:03

There are more twists and turns at BUPA when you get into the city section, so by rights it should be a bit slower.  But on the other hand you get a good crowd to pull you round, so who knows.

Are Sandhurst sending a strong team?

12/05/2013 at 15:09

It's a no lose really. Chichester and Eastleigh banked 2 pbs. This one is a good team outing (for once, as I only see them for xc otherwise), on a great historic course.

Depends how you define a strong team really. I'll be going as 2nd fastest, so depending on the rule of " being relative" that's either a strong team, or a weak one

12/05/2013 at 15:25

Well, strong in relation to who's at the club in the first place. So presumably Graham as well. Sounds strong to me.

12/05/2013 at 15:32

So team MTSG at Marlow 5 today. Almost an A race but I have a 10k next week so the primary purpose was to see how pace felt. I have done a few 5ks in sub 6 pace but the calculators reckoned that 5 miles would be 30:30 so I was hoping for a 30.xx.

I had the Garmin on autolap and was checking the mile markers and each tells a slightly different tale. Overall it seems to be a fast first mile in about 5:3x and then a couple dead on 6 minutes to get me to 3 miles in 17:3x. I then knew that a good push home would get me a sub 30. Mile 4 was hard and seemed to use up a good half of the cushion I had and I reckon I had 6:15 for the last mile, Garmin started to say 6:16 and a few runners came past and I was able to hold on and get a pull along so the pace built up to 6:0x again and then with the last bend done and about 800m left and 3 minutes I knew it was in the bag and came home in 29:56.

Overall very happy about sub 30 and last year I did 29:19 so the gradual improvement back to racing form continues. Racing calendar is starting to look full so I am getting myslef back into fast running by running fast.

Ijust ran the results through Excel and Team MTSG were second team overall. Hilgdon AC were clearly firt with 1, 4 and 15th for 20 points but were scored 6, 16 and 24 for 46. Lots of clubs with a couple in the top 30 but no clubs packing in a solid 3rd.

12/05/2013 at 15:44

Thanks Iron and Dachs.

Well done Dachs - can't PB week in/week out mate! And hey, one of your splits was about what I could do - what's going on man ? 2nd place though and another sub 34 - top stuff!

Should have left my garmin on autolap Philip, but tend to switch it off as I've been stung in a few races where it's hit the distance agood 10 secs early and I've had no warning!

12/05/2013 at 15:46

What you're saying then Phil, is we should set this thread up as a real running club, and then we could utilise the likes of Dachs, Crispy and Johnas for the southern races!

Throw in Frankie (yes we know you read this religiously, pop back on son), DT2, UG and Ric, and we'd have a ridiculous squad that would win the XC series quite nicely.

And that's before we even mention our northern reps!

12/05/2013 at 15:48

Thread congrats all round! Top running from the Bucks & Berks massive. Particularly impressed with PMJ's sub 30 proving patience pays. 

Must be nice breathing down EOG's neck too SG! Well done on the PB mate

12/05/2013 at 15:49

Now there's an idea!

Just seen FB Philp - looks like you were the MTSG 1st place then 

12/05/2013 at 16:08

Great racing guys, well done. Your report's certainly paint a picture.

Quite a lot on today, including some extra jobs to catch up on. Main problem was when to fit in a speed session. Afternoon might have been ok but for rain and with some work already on board. In the end waking up at 5:00am helped make the decision.

4 mile loop made up of the usual 40/20 seconds on/off. Averaged 6:25 miling. Went past another runner while in the middle of a jog phase. Can't imagine what his thoughts were as I took off again. Garmin indicated close to 5 minute mile pace for that section.

One more session before Staines next week. Probably 2/3 of usual amounts, see how I feel tomorrow. Feel ok already.

12/05/2013 at 18:15
The Bus wrote (see)

Now there's an idea!

Just seen FB Philp - looks like you were the MTSG 1st place then 

Just like to wind SG up with WAVA but in reality when you toe the line it is head to head unless by prior arrangement. There are some races in the USA that actually use WAVA for the main prizes.

Bus, 213 V40 men, 144 V50 men, 45 V60 and 9 V70. Shows how much fun organisers must have in trying to allocate prizes.

12/05/2013 at 18:19

Some of your past times I possibly have half a chance of matching if luck goes my way, but stuff like the 9.00 3k will be impossible to match!

If I'm running into my 40s and doing sub 30min 5milers I'll have done pretty well too Phil!

After the battle with the OG today, I'm intrigued about another 3k race though in a more competitive field. Yourself or Bus'll have to join me next time, whether you do the 3k or one of the other events...the 1500 has so many heats you'd be certain to find a good race.

12/05/2013 at 20:05

Arse, Cottisford 5k is full! Who knew leaving it 2 days before the race was too close!

Might be a little change of race plan...Wargrave...Phil, do you fancy using up your priviledged guest entry on me, or shall I weasel for a guest pass elsewhere?

You get a lift out of it this way!

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 20:17
12/05/2013 at 20:18

PMJ - you're coming back to form fast.  Definitely good news.

So did you lot actually have Team MTSG T-shirts done then?  Kind of like a running stag night?

Bus, this is the first time I can recall seeing you in results where you weren't immediately trailing Sam A.  Did you miss her?

SG - do the Wargrave one and just blast it.  You should still be capable of beating that PB on an undulating course I reckon,

Edited: 12/05/2013 at 20:20
17,581 to 17,600 of 27,063 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.