Moraghan Training - Stevie G

18,861 to 18,880 of 26,767 messages
05/07/2013 at 09:49
Tim Natrajan wrote (see)

Just seen the results... They gave me a 16:48 in 35th place. Where did they add those 3 seconds from, I don't know! 

You weren't the only one. I noticed on twitter last night a few in the same boat, most notably Dave Norman, winner of the Manchester Marathon

https://twitter.com/dave_norman/status/352900726864871424

05/07/2013 at 10:36

SG, I wish that was the case! I still get a bit of a nervous/ edgy/ dreaded feeling on the day of my track sessions etc as I know how much they hurt. I do tend to leave everything on there and the couple of mates who came weren't expecting to feel that sort of pain. They were probably in the thinking of just running more miles makes you quicker. 

Tim, a lad who I train with sometimes mentioned last week that Sale always tends to add a few seconds on. Looking at Johnas' link it seems to confirm it. I'd be wounded if I managed a 15.59 then the results came out at 16.01 or something.

05/07/2013 at 10:57

Blame some the geriatrics who hold the watch at the finish. I did some time taking on the track and these duffers were finding over half a second extra from somewhere.

The worst I find is on road relays where I purposely start my watch before the hand over and stop it after I've handed over myself.

That way you'rd believe anything you have on your own watch is slower than the official time. Want a bet?

At Milton Keynes the timekeepers found an extra 3 seconds on my leg and I'd stopped the watch when I was lying down finished.

05/07/2013 at 11:57

My dad has just qualified as a timekeeper for track athletics, and has done some track County Championships etc.  He says that, unlike when he previously qualified some time ago (he's had a long break from officiating), there was no test of your timekeeping ability at all  - you turned up, did the course, and that was that.  You then have to move up the local/county/regional/national hierarchy by doing a certain amount of meets.

I imagine adding 3 seconds onto a County 100m final wouldn't go down too well.

05/07/2013 at 15:59

One of tha chaps last night was so happy he'd broken 18 mins, but according to the results, he hadn't. 

05/07/2013 at 16:42

you chuckled a bit didn't you Tim, admit it

IronCat5    pirate
05/07/2013 at 16:51

Good results night again chaps. Hoping the greatness will rub off.

Similar thoughs with regards to timing on a timetrial. Start with frontwheel hub over line in road and counted down from 30, 20, 10, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 go. As wel as holding on to the handlebars I alsi have to start the garmin. And at the end, when I am trying to breathe through every available orifice, keep the bike upright, avaoid traffic and yet still 'kick' for the finish. And then press stop.

Then the results find some extra time somewhere, especially if you've upset them.

Aiming to go for a very easy run on Sunday. Weekend looking very busy.

05/07/2013 at 19:09

Taking times at a relay sounds a complete ballache of a job.

Presumably they just have a running clock starting from the first leg starting, and just record the clock time of every individual, and then work out their individual time later?

The classic, one person writing times, and one person writing race number?

It must get congested though, as each runner must be looking for their next runner to tag or something?

is that how relays work, or is there some kind of baton?!?!

05/07/2013 at 19:16

Touch of hands usually, though in the Round Norfolk Relay we carry a baton. It goes nearly 200 miles. 

05/07/2013 at 19:44

Reminds me of the dodgiest expression from footy days, when requesting your teammate to pass to you quickly

"touch me"

Always made me laugh that one.

IronCat5    pirate
05/07/2013 at 20:33
Stevie G . wrote (see)

Taking times at a relay sounds a complete ballache of a job.

Presumably they just have a running clock starting from the first leg starting, and just record the clock time of every individual, and then work out their individual time later?

The classic, one person writing times, and one person writing race number?

It must get congested though, as each runner must be looking for their next runner to tag or something?

is that how relays work, or is there some kind of baton?!?!

RicF wrote (see)

Touch of hands usually, though in the Round Norfolk Relay we carry a baton. It goes nearly 200 miles. 

Last 2 years I've done the LLLR 6 hr relay as a team of 4. Everyone has a individual chip which does the timing. The baton was a snap band that we whacked on the next persons arm.

06/07/2013 at 13:49

No one around today?

Getting set for tomorrows race. Its going to be rather warm at 11:00am. 

Preparation for heat wave running: Fully hydrated from the day before, drink at least 100ml on the start line for each mile to be raced. Sun block, everywhere exposed, it helps keep you cool, top of the head included. Water soaked sponge and sun glasses.

06/07/2013 at 15:13

Marathon or 10k Ric ? have a good one. Hopefully you've not been out for some big mileage this morning. 

06/07/2013 at 18:05

Well, me and Phil were over at the Runnymede relays at Windsor today.

Wasn't entirely sure how it'd pan out, bearing in mind this last month I've basically done 2miles at 6min miling, and nothing quicker.

It felt blimming hot too, and suddenly I must admit I was wondering whether a 5 1/4 ish mile lap offroad with a niggle was a genius idea.

However, however, I knew it'd be a cracking team day out, so off to Windsor it was.

Had a vague direction. "Sheet street, and turn right". First problem, you couldn't get to sheet street as some damn parade meant the police roped the road off.

So had a little pissabout round the area, before ending up exactly in the same spot 10mins later, but luckily they were now re-opening it...so off we went, left into Sheet Street., looking for this right hand turn. Instead, I went past Windsor Castle and was going the wrong way...

30mins later, after ringing loads of people, and making all sorts of stressy wrong moves, I ended up in the right place. At 12.08, first leg starting at 12....

Luckily, it was delayed a bit, and being 3rd leg it wasn't a panic.

So....getting there had been harder work than needed be..what about the running?

So, watched the first leg start, and it all looked very furious...so pottered off for a little jog.

2 clubs were leading, and we were 3rd come the end, with Datchet in 4th. This is pretty much how it remained until I started my leg.

I watched a Watford chap pick the baton up about 5secs before me and monster into the distance, and basically sat about 100-150metres behind for the whole 5.35miles! He flattered me by turning to look around every 1/2mile, but I was never catching him!

I'd started furiously with a 5.46 and 5.42 first 2miles, which offroad, with trail/gravel and some ups was probably a bit strong.

The killer came when there was about 1.5miles left. You can bloody see the finish, but have to go the long way round, come back on  yourself and try and ramage in with about 1k in a straight line.

Watford were going into the lead, but the guy in 2nd while still ahead, was faltering hugely, as he'd had a massive lead to start the leg off.

I could feel a Datchet chap just behind, and I recognised him as being a guy i'd raced one, and beaten by some ridiculous margin like 2seconds. But I knew i'd been on hold for a month, while he'd been smashing it.

Therefore, I was never going to hold him off the last mile, so settled for bringing the team home 4th, probably about 50-100metres off the front 3...

We quickly moved to 2nd over the 4th leg, but the real decisive one was leg 5. Watford and the other club had clearly used their big men up already, so it was us v Datchet. On paper, we'd have the slight edge, but Graham has been nursing an injury himself, whereas Rob has been smashing it. Therefore, Rob was able to extend his lead if anything.

This was clear in the final splits. I came through with Sandhurst's fastest long leg time, 1min 15 or so in front of Graham, and if fully fit, that'd be the other way round. In fact Graham's gone under 30 here before.

I noticed the Datchet fella who caught me up did a 30.43, to my 31.32, so a decent margin indeed. Even Rob, Datchet's top man out did 30.40...

Therefore, not to spoil Phil's tale, we came 2nd overall, and I was chuffed to pick up a nice little plate trophy to mark the day.

Didn't feel the ache, and a trophy. Pretty good day. Will probably try and go back on the full schedule now...

06/07/2013 at 18:07

ps, oh it's been a while since a massive SG race report

06/07/2013 at 21:35

as no one else seems to be about, let's get a quick pic up

http://s3.runnersworld.co.uk/members/images/104999/gallery/runnymede_relays_2nd_place_2013.jpg?width=350

06/07/2013 at 21:36

Well done SG, really good result (nice FB photos too!).

Risborough 10k tomorrow. Just hoping to get some sleep as the neighbours are having a party in the garden a few doors down and it seems to be getting VERY lively

06/07/2013 at 21:42

bad luck Bus, hope it goes well. I remember some neighbour had a similar style party 2 nights before the Wycombe half once...and they say 2nights before is often more key than the night before!

06/07/2013 at 21:52

Nice race and journey report SG. Pleasing to see you've also bought some new Adios at last too!

Interesting Open Meet today - until 30 mins before start time, it was only me and one other for the 5000m! Thankfully a few others turned up and i overheard times of 16.30 being thrown around which was favourable - a competitive race was what I was after to get a decent PB.    

Not a cloud in the sky and it was hot, 24 deg. bought myself a white cap in prep and ducked into the loos right before the start and gave it a good soaking which ended up working a treat!  

Within 1000m I found myself out front and on my own I was hoping to hit 78s per lap if it was competitive but at 1000m, settled into 80s per lap and focused on working hard and keeping the 400 splits consistent in the conditions.   I finished in 16.48 and won by a good 200 metres.

Slightly disappointed with the time but if there's any positives, it's that I ran a good race in the heat and without any competition - basically a solo time trial. Here's hoping next week's 10k is more of a race.  

Good luck tomorrow Ric & Bus in your races. 

Edited: 06/07/2013 at 21:53
06/07/2013 at 22:41

Tidy if you're doing 16.48 like that. But that Dulwich shows on the right day you've got a big one inside you (so to speak)

Maybe when I finally find a LFOTM 5k I can do, you might be able to make it too...with perhaps some others on the thread...making it a nice little meet up as well as a presumably good crack at a time...

right...for now it's sleep time. 12miler at 7am tomorrow

18,861 to 18,880 of 26,767 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.