My first intervals session

7 messages
22/01/2008 at 20:42
Today I did my first ever intervals session. It consisted of 1M warm up, 4 X 1M fast with quarter mile recoveries, 1M warm down. My pacing was the following:
1M warm up - 9:01/mile average pace
1M fast - 7:23
0.25M rec - 9:56
1M fast - 7:29
0.25M rec - 10:09
1M fast - 7:38
0.25M rec - 10:12
1M fast - 7:35
0.25M rec - 9:28
1M warm down - 8:46
So, my question is, is the point of intervals to try to maintain the same pace for each interval? In other words, did I run the first two intervals too fast? Or conversely, did I run the last two intervals too slow, as I wasn't struggling to complete the final interval. Don't get me wrong, I was happy that it was over, but I wasn't completely knackered at the end of it! Or is it normal to slow slightly?
22/01/2008 at 20:48

someone more experienced than me will be along soon i'm sure.

but i think the idea is to maintain the same paceas much as poss.

but they do look pretty similar - hard to get it exactly right.

probably with practise it gets easier to judge your pace/effort 

22/01/2008 at 21:08

Hey Runner Duck!! 

I always find I run the first few intervals too fast too, but I have tried doing them starting off slower but they still get slower as I get to the end so I just carry on going fast at the beginning of intervals even if you aren't meant to!  I quite like interval sessions as they can make training a bit more exciting   Hope you liked your first lot of intervals!!

xxxxxxxxxx

23/01/2008 at 10:04
The idea indeed is that you should be running each interval at roughly the same sort of pace - which over a mile is not to easy - but as you were not far away overall not to bad - I guess my only question would be is whether your recoeveries were too long - my mile reps would be off a3 or 4 minute jog recovery -
23/01/2008 at 11:11

Hi, thanks for the replies. Mouserunner - I did enjoy the intervals, although they were quite hard work!

Grendel - the recoveries were around 2 and a half minutes long. The numbers above show the average pace per mile.

23/01/2008 at 12:02

The idea is to run your intervals at the same pace. The last rep will be hard. Learning to pace yourself properly is quite hard and takes practice.

If you find pacing difficult you are better off starting slowly and increasing the pace on the last two or even adding an extra rep if you've plenty still left in the tank.

JJ

23/01/2008 at 12:08

I find intervals on the dreadmill keep me consistant and adjust the gradient to get the hills.

Outside i tend to slow off.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
7 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.