My VLM. For those who asked for some background on my training

41 to 47 of 47 messages
25/04/2013 at 13:58

Hi AR - firstly great time - well done.

Also thanks for posting all this - great read and knowledge pot.

Reading the history it is interesting to me that you started running in Jan 2012 but by April 2012 you could already run a 1:28 HM and then a 3:02 marathon by June. WOW!

That suggests a lot of natural ability as well as lots of hard training obviously but a lot of people would not hit those times even with hard training over such a short time period.

So I was interested in how good a runner you were when you were at school which you don't mention in your life story. Best in year? Any timed races etc

Cheers, Skinny

25/04/2013 at 14:35
Hi Skinny. Running wise our school didn't do a lot. In summer we did a bit of athletics, and I generally came in the top 3 in the mile. The only time I did anything beyond that was in year 3 when I was picked for the cross country team. I ran once and hated the experience - and that was the end of that.

Over the years as I slowly piled on the weight, I always joked to my wife that I had latent fitness and might be a reaonable runner. Shame on me for sitting on my arse for 25 years.

I reckon the couple of years of upping the walking I was doing really gave me a flying start with the running. This was combined with quite a lot of impatience as I ramped up the early mileage quickly. This could easily have been my undoing.
cougie    pirate
25/04/2013 at 14:49
Do you have an active job or anything AR ?
25/04/2013 at 15:26

No - its a 5 second walk to work (i.e. home)  where I sit down, and get up a few times to set up some machinery. That is a lot more active than it used to be, where it was desk bound or long car journeys, hotels, airports, hotel bars and restaurants Mon to Fri.

25/04/2013 at 16:28

wow what a fantastic read.. well done AR on a great race time..Im trying to chase my first sub 3 marathon in edinburgh this year but i fear i have not had the commitment or more like had far to many of lifes commitments to dedicate so much time to my running..I was on course to do edinburgh last year in 3:04 but at mile 19, cramps set in and i just couldnt shake them, (due to an extremely hot day 26 deg) I know i am capable of a sub 3 and even with the correct dedication a sub 2:50. would love to find someone to train with that could push me to the max. Depends on my edinburgh run ill be running the kent coastal in september and i might copy your training plan and see how i fair...

Edited: 25/04/2013 at 16:40
27/04/2013 at 02:11

The Kent Coastal ain't exactly a fast course....

28/04/2013 at 08:49

I have heard it is quite a undulating course which suits me..i am not that keen on flat roads. part of the reason i dislike the back section of edinburgh as it heads out to the middle of nowhere and back...

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
41 to 47 of 47 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.