Need advice on 5km <20min

9 messages
11/09/2013 at 19:49

Hello all,

I've been currently training a few months to shape up my physical condition. I'm currently aiming for running a 5km under 20 minutes. I realize it is a hard goal. But I'm motivated to do the neccessary for it.

My minimum heart beat was 64 and my max is based on my age, 198. So I calculated I had to train between 130-138 to have the best and fastest results. Every training includes around 1 hour wich I do every day.
My V02 max is 54 wich is not good but not bad either.

My current training program includes:

Monday: heart rate 130-138

Thursday: heart rate 140-150

Wednesday: Introduction interval training. (15min warm-up,(30min) every 5min sprint for 20 seconds then reduce the heart rate to 130-138)

Tuesday: heart rate 130-138

Friday: heart rate 130-138

Saturday: heart rate 130-138

Sunday: Rest day

Every Tuesday includes a 5km race wich offers me the opportunity to see my results of training.

When I started running, I have done my 5km in 31:34min. Wich was kinda bad.
Last week I achieved 24:46 on the same 5km. I'm still trying to find any tips and hints wich can improve me even more.

I'm still unexperienced in Running so I hope you guys can help me out

11/09/2013 at 20:34

Join a club, get some speed and tempo reps done under the view of an EA Accredited coach.

Piers

11/09/2013 at 20:52

If I had the possibility for it I would but sadly I cannot

Thats the reason i'm asking here for advice

11/09/2013 at 21:23

Id forget heart rate which will change as you get fitter and just run at an easy comfortable pace most of the time .

1 hour is a day is quite a bit and seems to be working for you so far so I be inclined to keep doing what your doing and maybe  every other week  run a parkrun as your speedwork or add in some 400m laps of a track say maybe 4 reps to start and build up to 10 at your current 5k pace with 100m or so recoveries after each one at a very very slow jog.You could run the parkrun 1 week and do 400ms the next as a race every week is maybe too much.

Edited: 11/09/2013 at 21:29
11/09/2013 at 21:35

Funny Lesley should say that. My first thought was forget about heart rates and just get out there and run.  I agree with him.

11/09/2013 at 21:40

It was the 25 minute threshold runs that made the difference in my 5K speed, I ran them once a week at about 10-15 seconds slower (per mile) than my 5K race pace - which is about all out for training pace, I can't run anywhere near as fast outside a race.  Well, that and the fact that I improved my aerobic fitness via long slow runs of 2-3 hours at least once a week.  Took me a year to get from 25:30 to 20:50 where I am now (though ony raced 3 5Ks this year to see improved times).

cougie    pirate
12/09/2013 at 11:44
Pointless using your HR as you've just used the 220-age thing as your max which isn't precise. It's like getting an expensive watch and setting it by the sun.

I'd just focus on running more miles at a conversational pace. Get the endurance in because 3 miles is a long way.

20 second sprints aren't long enough - you want to build to mile intervals - or at least half mile ones.

And if you're big boned - lose weight - that makes a big difference.
12/09/2013 at 18:23

Dont get too scientific.

If your purely focussed on 5 km I would suggest mixing 3 different types of running.

Long comfortable run. 5-7km

Threshold running - 3-4 km but faster than a sub 20 pace. i.e. 3.50/km

Fartlek training

Quality over quantity

13/09/2013 at 15:36

I just managed to hit the 20min goal doing more or less this. The weekly schedule always consisted of A long slow run at the weekend,+ a midweek tempo run + a midweek interval/speed session. I also made sure there was at least a day's active recovery or total rest  between these three sessions

I made a point of walking about 3-5k a day which helped my revcovery a lot, and threw in some swimming to cross train when I could (usu 1, or max 2 times per week).

I wouldnt try to go too fast too soon - Running calculators vary, but according to the one I use (mcmillan.com) a race level (all out )5k in 24:57 5k suggests your 1k intervals would be best run at a pace of 4:45 per 1km. There is a range around that too based on the type of runner you are too. As this gets easier do another 5k timetrial  / race/parkrun and recalibrate according to whatever performance you achieve.

The main points for me were:

Build gradually// pay attention to recovery// make sure each run has a clear purpose

Edited: 13/09/2013 at 15:39

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
9 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.