New Forest Marathon 2013

21 to 40 of 79 messages
17/06/2013 at 18:51

IMO your first marathon should have no definite time goal - if you miss it by a few seconds/mins then you'll end up disappointed with what was almost certainly a great achievement. I know this from bitter personal experience!!

Have an idea of finish time for pacing and maybe set a goal of running the whole way?

Or, as suggested above, have multiple targets

25/06/2013 at 14:35

Hi

I signed up to the New Forest marathon just a couple of weeks back and am only just getting back into running after fracturing a heel bone in a pair of Merrils barefoot 6 weeks ago....1st bit of good advice don't change your running style when you want to tarin for a marathon, back to my good old new balance

This will be my third marathon after Edinburgh and Copenhagen and I learned respect really quick in Edinburgh when 2.20 at 16 miles became 4.45 at 26.00 miles and my right knee grew a somewhat larger than my thigh....

An old boy at the end turned and said to me.....'when folks ask you how long it took laddie, just tell em it took you 26.2 miles'

I am lucky enough to live next door to Richmond Park so substitute deer for ponies and I reckon it will be home from home

Good luck to everyone, see you on the start line

26/06/2013 at 08:11

Just add my bit : I've done this twice and its a lovely race. Sure its undulating but there is nothing sinister on the route, and probably nothing you wouldn't encounter on a normal training run. In terms of time, probably no more than 5-10 minutes slower than a flat course (London/Brighton)
As regards camelbaks/belts, well this depends on how much you normally drink! There are enough water stations on the course but if you are one of those that normally take drinks/gels on a 10k or half then yes, I'd recommend the camel.
Won't be there this year but hope to return in the future.

Good luck and I hope it stays dry!

26/06/2013 at 08:43

Cheers Ryan, you've pretty much answered my concern. I've got a goal pace - a good 45sec/mile slower than my HM pace - but the idea of holding it for 26.2 miles seems impossible! So on the day, I just want to cross that finish line, be it running or be it crawling with Tim.

Right, I'm off on my first 16-miler now, with the Camelbak, some sickly gels and this week's episode of Marathon Talk.

26/06/2013 at 09:28

Hi all,

I've also signed up for this race and really looking forward to it. I ran the half marathon in 2007 and it was my first half so i'm looking forward to going back.

Hannah - What a great motivation to train for a marathon whilst having more time

David - i'm very jealous of you living near Richmond Park. We have no hills to train on here so i'm left doing hill trainings on motorway bridges!

26/06/2013 at 11:49

Hi Emmy yeah I've done a few of those M Way bridges too. It would be even better if this bit of summer hangs around for a bit, ran 6 there last night, I think the deer had it right they just stood there looking at me like I was stupid!

Hannah Hi 45 seconds slower than half pace can work, I used to mile measure and eventually found it less mentally harsh to break it down into distance segments....4 x 10k worked.

In the second half when the mind got tired I found it easy to get dispirited every time I checked the watch and was ten or twenty seconds off of target

Are you doing some 'faster than regular pace' repeats as part of your training? I started adding in 12 (3 miles) of 1/4 miles repeats at about 15% faster than marathon pace, makes a huge difference come race day

Good Luck

25/07/2013 at 22:44

All a bit hot at the moment. I did 16miles up round Ladybower , Derwent and Howden reservoirs on Sunday before 10:30am. Then 10miles locally last night at 10pm.

Going for my first 20miler on Sunday - will try to start out about 6:30am. 

How's everyone else doing. 

28/07/2013 at 14:29

Hi All

Ive also Signed up

I started running last november and Ran the north dorset village marathon in may  i'm wondering if anyone has ran both and how the courses compare

Edited: 28/07/2013 at 14:34
31/08/2013 at 12:11

Bakkiesmat - A friend at work has run both and said that they are reasonably similar but he thought the NFM was slightly more difficult

There are no huge hills in this one - there's a reasonable climb at 5 miles but shouldn't present much of a problem that early but the drag at 22 will definitely feel like a big hill at that stage. It's more that the course is rarely flat. The last 3 miles are all dead flat or slightly downhill which is good.

3 weeks to go

31/08/2013 at 13:42

Thanks Ryan 

hoping to use this as my comrades qualifing event. most of my training runs are on undulating roads also so fingers crossed for a good time 

Good Luck 

31/08/2013 at 21:36

Bakkies - What do you need to qualify for Comrades?

01/09/2013 at 10:55

Sub 5hr for entry 

different times for different start pens I'm hoping for pen c which is 3hr20-3hr40

01/09/2013 at 22:19

Last 20miler done today. Taper. See you all on the start line. 

02/09/2013 at 12:04

good luck Bakkies

Has anyone been sent their race pack yet? Got my t-shirt a while back but no sign of the pack - the website says to contact them if you've not got it by Sept!

02/09/2013 at 12:22

I've emailed the chip people this morning for some clarification. According to the website you only get a pack if you sent an SAE which I didn't. I'm assuming you pick up your chip on the morning of the race. 

02/09/2013 at 12:23

The details should be in the joining email which I can't find now. Doh!

02/09/2013 at 13:17

Thanks Ryan 

good luck 

02/09/2013 at 13:31

Hi all,

I'm looking forward to this race. A group of us from the thread are camping just outside new milton the night before and planning on making a weekend of it. Is everyone now in taper mode?

Ryan - i got my tshirt too - if i remember correctly - you should be picking up everything on race morning but I could be mistaken :/

02/09/2013 at 14:06

I've got the original emails from FR systems and there's nothing on there about it!!

Oh well, just have to wait and see

02/09/2013 at 15:10

FRSystems have replied. Due to send out packs two weeks before event. 

21 to 40 of 79 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.