Off road and hills

10 messages
24/12/2013 at 23:46

Can anyone help with traing plans? I started running in August after a year and a half out following tearing my ACL and having knee surgery. I've built up to 3x 10Ks a week on a mix of off road and on. I've been challenged to a 15 mile off road hill race. Sounds ace but not sure on what training I should or shouldn't be doing. Any help would be great

25/12/2013 at 02:54

Sounds like a fell race. I'm no expert but I'd guess that you should practice hills a bit and up your mileage so that your longest run is about 12 miles of very easy running/jogging. Or Google fell racing training plans.

25/12/2013 at 10:15

Google has all the answers!! It's the Balmoral 15 mile race. I will look into it. I was going to move onto a half marathon training plan but just wasn't sure of how I can adjust it for hill runs. Cheers

25/12/2013 at 14:25

A half plan till do for distances but you will need to add in some hills to avoid coming unstuck on race day.

good luck.

26/12/2013 at 08:29

Cheers Flob!!

05/01/2014 at 18:11

Anyone else want to help? Any good apps that could help?

05/01/2014 at 18:13

And run on some fairly rough off road terrain to get used to it, both physically and psychologically!

06/01/2014 at 00:49

As well as building up the distance, try a Kenyan (continuous) hills session once a week, this would probably be more useful for a longer race than short hill reps or sprints. In these try and maintain a similar effort on the downhills as the up, relaxing into it - this should also help you make the most of downhills in the race and use them to gain some ground on those less confident or efficient in descending. These are longer blocks, so you could try 2 or 3 x 10mins, if that is a bit long perhaps 4 x 6min, or 4-5 x 5min to ease into it. The key is that you keep going up and down over your loop during that time. google it for more info. Also what I found really helpful for my first fell races is just incorporating hills into your everyday steady/easy training runs wherever possible which gets your body used to maintaining pace and fighting fatigue after the reaching the top. Hope this helps and good luck!

06/01/2014 at 16:02

Thanks for the input. I will give it a try. My LSR on Sundays will become a very hilly off road run. 

06/01/2014 at 16:42
Big John Boy wrote (see)

Thanks for the input. I will give it a try. My LSR on Sundays will become a very hilly off road run. 

This is all you need to do. To be honest it seemed like you were psyching yourself out a bit about the hills - from looking at the route map on the website it's apparent it's not that hilly at all - even if you doubled the amount of climb it would still be classed as a category C fell race - i.e. the lowest in terms of climb/distance. Don't worry about following a particular training plan just for this one race - just get used to running off road hills for a couple of hours at a time and you'll be fine.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
10 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.