Out for 6 weeks - still possible?

4 messages
05/07/2013 at 20:04

Hi all

I'm signed up to run my first marathon; Chester on 6th October (13 weeks Sunday).  I've not really run for the past 6 weeks due to a ITB injury which has made my knee painful (perhaps done a 2 mile each week, but each time it has hurt).  I've been to physio a few times, do stretching and foam rolling daily and I'm told I can start running again.

Before I was injured, I only got up to 6 miles, but was running 4 times a week (maybe 15 miles a week).  Before that, I hadnt really run for 3 years or so!

Is it still possible for me to complete a marathon?  Hoping to do a 4 mile this Sunday and then start increasing, but I have no idea of what is reasonable?

Feel like I should knock it on the head for fear of damaging my leg more (still niggles when walking downhill), but I really don't want to.

Any advice?

Thanks

05/07/2013 at 20:10

It is still possible but take it easy and slowly increase the miles.  Find a training plan and follow that.  You have plenty of time to get up to the distance.

05/07/2013 at 20:54

I think it depends how much you want to do Chester or if you are ok to look for another marathon, maybe in spring.  Personally, I would advise pulling out.  You'll be lucky if you can put some decent training in without the ITB flaring up again.  I think you are better going back to basics, do stretching and strength work to get it sorted and look for a spring marathon.  Maybe look for a half in Autumn instead?

Good luck anyway.

06/07/2013 at 08:53

Sorry read that as a half marathon....as is full think it may be a stretch without flaring up ITB again...so would agree with PipG and look at a spring marathon.

We'd love you to add a comment! Please login or take half a minute to register as a free member
4 messages
Previously bookmarked threads are now visible in "Followed Threads". You can also manage notifications on these threads from the "Forum Settings" section of your profile settings page to prevent being sent an email when a reply is made.